Old 11-03-04, 04:58 PM
Dave Moulton
ex frame builder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
Materials, construction, engneering, and manufacturing have come a long way in 20 years. Something being hand made does not always make it better. Using the construction methods of yesteryear is simply old technology. Modern methods lend themselves to greater strength, lighter weight, and a more consistant quality product.

I love classic cars. However, there is no need to manufacture them today. They used to make cars by hand too. Yes, they were works of art, but they were certainly not better in any way.
After building bicycle frames for more than thirty years it became second nature to me. For example when you heat metal it expands and when it cools again it contracts; this will cause a frame to go out of alignment. In time I got to know which way a frame would go and would actually build it out of alignment so it would end up in alignment after it cooled. I could consistently braze frames and they would always be within 10 or 15 thousandths of an inch of true alignment after brazing when checked on a surface table.

The amount I set the frame out of alignment before brazing was not a measured amount; it was a feeling. Also I was passionate about building frames. Now you are telling me that a skilled welder in Taiwan for example who does a really good job, but doesn’t really care if he welds bicycles or patio furniture as long as he can feed his family. You are saying the frame that man builds will ride the same as mine?

Even if his frame is every bit as straight as mine, there will be a difference in the feel of the bike. The difference is not something you can measure and neither can anyone explain what it is; I believe it is what people have been referring to here as the ‘soul’ of the bike.

Now you can say I’m full of sh*t if you like but I say an old classic car has a soul too; it is as if it has life whereas something new built by robots definitely does not.