Old 11-04-04, 11:08 AM
Dave Moulton
ex frame builder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Berodesign
I really want a Dave Moulton bike also, preferably one of his English production.
The ‘dave moulton’ custom frames built in England in the 1970s were functional but it wasn’t until I came to the US that competition from Masi and the other American builders made me start paying attention to the fine detail.

Many people don’t realize how few of these frames were built. In 1982 while still working in the Masi shop I built 69. In 1983 I moved into my own frameshop in San Marcos, CA. and built 96; in addition I built approx 200 John Howard frames. I was working 18 hour days back then trying to get my business off the ground.

In 1984 Fuso production started and the number of custom frames built dropped dramatically to 39. In 1985 only 9 were built and in1986 only 3. A grand total of 216.

Most people who own them have done so since new and won’t part with them. Occasionally you will see one on ebay. One went about four months back (56cm.) for $380. With original paint and Campy Record.

The John Howard was a very nice frame with chrome and paint comparable to my custom frame. It was under priced when it was new, which was one of the reasons it didn’t last long. There were some 3,000 Fuso frames built, and another frame called ‘Recherche’ about 150 of those.