View Single Post
Old 07-26-08, 07:32 AM
kokomo61

Bikes: Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
From looking at the DC DMV web site, it looks like he'll get 5 points on his license (90 day suspensions begin at 10 points). If he had been charged with hit and run (maybe the bike commuter should have noted the license plate and let him go......) it would have been an automatic 12 points, and suspension until the DMV reinstates the license.

So, it's a $50 fine - I don't know if he has to pay any court or processing costs (in VA, it's an extra $62). With the points on his license, his insurance will bump up for 3 years.....and his insurance company will have to pay the medical costs for the pedestrian. (since the guy is homeless, I doubt that he has insurance).

Also, he'll have the right to file a lawsuit for pain and suffering - I'm sure that several attorneys have already contacted him.

Novak may be able to successfully fight the $50 fine and points (he CAN plead not guilty), but beating a ticket is VERY rare in DC, and there's no doubt that his insurnace company is going to pay a significant amount for the ped's injuries/pain & suffering. Since the guy is still in the hospital, and has a dislocated shoulder, it's going to take a while for him to heal. At age 86, he may never heal. (but I bet Novak will try to drag this out as long as possible, since the guy is so old.....if he dies before winning a judgment, it'll likely go away.

At least he should file a lawsuit now - at a minimum, he'd get a payoff at some point to make this 'go away'.

DC DOES allow FOIA requests - hopefully people will keep this in the news so that Novak HAS to make it go away.
'06 Kona Jake the Snake