View Single Post
Old 08-26-08, 09:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,049 Posts
I don't have a Transfer, but I ride a Novara Buzz and love it as a commuter. I will, however, offer my opinon all the same!

I prefer the 700c wheel of the Buzz to the 26" Transfer's because they roll faster, can be fitted with a narrower tire, and are great in slush if you ride in the winter.

I prefer the disc brakes of the Buzz; they're always stopping at max power, irrespective of temps, rain, or snow. Not to mention sleet. When you need 'em, they'll be ready, and thats something you cant say about V-brakes.

I prefer standard derailleurs to IG hubs because they're quicker and more precise on the shift and lighter. I can't stand the vague, slow shifting of IG hubs, and I don't think any aggressive or power rider would. Don't you still have to ease off the pedal pressure to get a shift off on one of those things? Anyway, if you like to pull off from lights and jump into the city bus's draft with alacrity, look elsewhere than IG hubs.

I'd rather save weight and use a battery operated, handlebar mount LED than have the generator hub of the Transfer. I know batteries are environmentally ugly, and see the obvious benefits of the front generator hub, but when bicycle headlight batteries become a major waste issue, I'll go with their simplicity, weight, and versatility.

The Transfer is appealing in that it's kitted out with fenders and rack and lights right off the floor, but those are easy add-ons to any bike at any competent bike shop, so there's not really any added value there.

BUT, at $500, for the right rider, it looks like a pretty cool option. I think I'd like to have one to skip around on, but when I gotta get somewhere, I think I'd go with the Buzz.

YMMV.