Old 11-18-04, 07:15 PM
Seeker
Old dude on old bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyb
oh please, this has zero to do with cliques, pissin contests or the bicycle wave.
It does have to do with perceived value vs. real value of older bikes.

Oh really? the comment that started this thread said: "Plus it's pretty cool when you blow away some yuppie with full gear on a $1,000 hi-tek carbon bike on what they disdainfully judge as 20 year old $50 steel bomber."

How is that non clique ish--the classic struggle between the haves versus the have nots. I ride both, i have a Cannondale road bike with Full Record and AM Classic wheels and weighs mid 15 pounds. And i have a cheap thrift shop fixed gear Nishiki made from 4130 steel and i dont know how much it weighs cause i already know its heavy.
My statement which you quoted was meant to be anti clique-ish. Yeah when I'm not commuting to work I take my bike out on the local multi-use trail on my days off to keep the heart rate up and actually get to hit some uneven (not really hills) terrain. I tend to wave at folks and if they are having problems like flats and break downs I stop to help. Every once and a while there will be someone of the one day in lycra wonders riding his bling cycle that gives me a LOOK like I should take my t-shirt and cotton shorts and rusting steel steed out of there and make room for serious cyclists. Those are the guys I enjoy blowing away.