Old 09-30-08, 07:12 PM
gearhead82

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Vaya 2, 2013 Trek Stache 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my Garmin Edge 305!

Ok, so I'm a total geek and I love being able to keep track of stats and track my performance. Yesterday I got my Garmin Edge 305 that I ordered from Amazon.com (just under $250 with 2 day shipping) but I forgot the chest strap for the HRM so I had incomplete stats yesterday. Today I remembered it and thought I'd report my first stats!

Background: 26 y/o male, 6', 270lbs, started at 318lbs in February. Just bought a bike and started cycling about 11 days ago. This is ride #8 I believe total.

Distance: 20.4 miles
Time: 1:08:03
Ave Speed: 18.0mph
Max Speed: 28.4
Ave Cadence: 80
Max Cadence: 110
Ave HR: 144bpm
Max HR: 173bpm
Calories burned: 1815

I'm pretty pleased. I honestly thought my Cadence would be quite a bit lower than that. I was also pleased to see that my resting pulse is somewhere between 52-56 when I was playing around with the HRM at work before my ride. I'm in decent cardio shape because of all the hours I've put in at the gym and on the jogging track. I think now I'm waiting for my leg muscles to catch up as they seem to be the limiting factor as far as how long/fast I can ride. Today was my first 20+ mile ride and my first day I averaged 18+ mph. I had been keeping track of those on a Sigma cycle computer before I got my Garmin. I'm just thrilled that I found an activity that keeps my heart rate that high for that long and have a BLAST doing it. It's a million times better than the elliptical at the gym. I'm dreading winter and already trying to decide if/how I can live without cycling as much during the winter especially because it will be dark by the time I get off work.