Old 10-11-08, 09:42 AM
earthworm94

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Schwinn LeTour with Ritchey Biomax II handlebar installed

After repeatedly adjusted the stock handlebar on the 2007 Schwinn LeTour, I can't get my wrist to stop hurting. Then I did some more research and took some measurements and realized I have a 38cm shoulder and the stock handlebar is 44cm. I realized a new handlebar is needed to make the bike fits me.

I got the handlebar at www.aebike.com, it was the usual quick turnaround. I ordered it on a Sunday and I got it on Friday. I paid about $61.49 out the door. Installation of the bar was very easy, and I wrapped the new bar with some cheapo Forte Gel Tape. Nothing fancy but looks ok.

I also took the opportunity to transplant the Brooks saddle from my mountain bike to the new bike.

Here are some pictures:

This is my first attempt at wrapping a handlebar, I think I did ok. Both sides are not quite even.

Review of the Ritchey Biomax II handlebar:
The handlebar is awesome. Now I can ride comfortably without my wrist hurting. The construction is very solid and it's much lighter than the stock handlebar. However, due to the location of the thumb actuated shifters of the Sora group, I adjusted the handlebar in a position most suitable for riding on the hood, and that sacrifice some usability for the drops. However, I can still ride in the drops and reach for the brakes well during downhill dashes.

I am now a complete convert of the Brooks saddle. The stock saddle (Selle San Marco Ischia) was quite comfortable with bike shorts, but rode about 14 miles on a commute without bike shorts and it was quite painful. Now, with the Brooks installed, the difference was between stadium bench and a nice office chair. The first time I sat back onto the Brooks, I just go "oooooooohhhhh"

Due to my busy work schedule, I just get to ride it 10 miles at a time for about 40 minutes twice a week. The bike is now real joy to ride. The drivetrain and brake pad is still a little left to desire but for $412 for the bike and about $112 worth of new parts (new handler, stem and pedals). It's not bad of a deal.