Old 10-12-08, 07:57 PM
earthworm94

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bontrager
Why are your brifters turned so far in??

You know when you put that saddle on your bike, you modified the height and fore/aft position (in addition to your handlebars) so you hbar change may have less of an impact on your painful wrists now than if you left your old seat on.

ParkTools has a good writeup on how to wrap handlebar tape.
I thought the brifters should be in-line with angle of the hood part of the handlebar. The camera exaggerated the "turn-in" further. I had adjusted the brifters back out a bit since.

I had wrist pain before the handlebar swap partly because the handlebar is 44cm and my shoulder is only measures about 39cm. Also, the reach for that bar is a bit too much. I did adjust the saddle for my legs after I install the new saddle. Now the wrist pain is largely gone. Before, I keep "tossing and turning" all over the bar, which is to a degree what one suppose to do as to take advantage of multiple hand positions offered by dropbars. However, I shouldn't need to change hand position all the time for a 6 mile ride. Now, with the new handlebar, I can stay in pretty much the same place all the time for a 10 mile ride.

I did compromise the position to be most comfortable when riding on the hood because of the way the Sora group works. One of the shifter button is operated by the thumb so I ride mostly on the hood. If anyone have any "best of both worlds" solution, or adjusting the brifters position so it's comfortable for both on the hood and on the drops, please let me know.

Thanks.