Old 10-13-08, 07:36 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Icycle
Whenever I'm approaching an intersection with a yellow or red light, I merge left, out of the bike lane and into the rightmost straight through lane. Right turning motorists have plenty of space to pass me on the right to make their turn. And when the light changes, I can move back over to the right again before I have delayed any motorists queued up behind me.
This is what I do too, though we don't have bike lanes around here. There's one intersection in particular where the road veers off at a 45* angle to the right, most cars (probably 75%) go that way, but this being Michigan, NOBODY signals the turn. I used to move left ONLY if I saw a right turn signal, otherwise I'd stay over to the right.

However, after many, many instances of people sneaking slowly past me to turn right on the red, and even more irritating, people sort of pacing me into the intersection after the green, then stopping and waiting for me to get past, I now move far left and assume people behind me want to turn right. When it turns green, I get across the intersection and move back to the right at the same time, because by then usually the right turners in front have gone on their way and the guy right behind me wants to go straight.