View Single Post
Old 11-10-08, 11:59 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Park for the specialty bicycle stuff. For the general items like metric wrenches and allen keys just go to your local tool stores and ask which lines come with the lifetime warranty. Lifetime's are pretty common these days with almost any decent recognsized inhouse brand. From those pick the cheapest you can that you like the looks of and the way they fit in your hand. If you have a choice pick the ones that have the slimest and smallest ends to fit into tighter spots. There are cheaper sets out there for sure but if you buy even the cheapest that comes with a lifetime warranty you'll be buying something that's a few steps up the food chain.

You'll also want a 3/8 inch ratchet set as well. They come in handy for recessed bolts like pedal crank bolts. Your choice as to the turn wheel or the little toggle lever for changing ratchet direction but I tend to prefer the little toggle lever style even if it does get flipped accidentally now and then by being too easy to use.

ANd when you buy your screwdrivers do NOT buy the ones with the tips done in shiney chrome plating. They skid out of the heads and mess up the screws. Buy bare steel shaft drivers or if you must have shiney chrome at least get the styles that come with the black parkerized ends and chromed shanks. And since Phillips drivers are evil by design be sure you buy good ones. Or even buy a multi driver that uses the snap in driver bits. I've found that when it comes to Phillips drivers the bits the drywallers use are really nicely shaped. And when they wear a bit you toss 'em and put in a new one. Nothing ruins your day more than a worn phillips that just rounded out the + in the end of that one screw holding up the whole project..... don't ask how I know. You don't have enough time for all the stories.