View Single Post
Old 11-12-08, 09:28 AM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stay away from sets and buy what you need as you do more work on the bike. That way you can choose the tool that suits you best. For example, there are different types of chain-stretch gauges: go/no-go and those that actually measures the amount of stretch. For various reasons, I prefer the latter. There are different types of hex drives: I use five types (square-drive, T-handles, knuckle jointed, L-shaped, joined folding set).

Over the years I've found Park to have the highest quality, slowest wearing bike specific tools. However, now Park has a cheaper line for the non-pro. I prefer paying extra for the old line. I still buy Craftsman for a lot of non-bike specific tools.

You don't need some tools that often come in a set. You don't head headset tools. I've been doing them for years the old fashioned why I used to do trailer and older automobile wheel bearings/races. The crank-set tools will depend on the specific crank-sets owned. I have to have three types.

On the truing stand, nothing beats the Ultimate. I even use it to mount tires (tube-type mounted tubeless with Stans). You have far better acess to the spokes/rim/hub as the wheel is held on only one side

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 11-12-08 at 09:38 AM.