View Single Post
Old 12-19-04, 02:33 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Lots of us have both a road bike and some sort of a mountain bike to ride. This time of year, I generally ride my mtn bike (with slicks) which is somewhat similar to a hybrid, only slower.

I bought my mtn bike in 1998 for $300 (when I was 58yo), and have ridden it over 9,000 miles since, including using it for a week long supported ride in the Colorado Mountains called "Ride the Rockies." So it was not expensive.

A year later, I bought my Lemond Buenos Aires because I wanted a different riding experience and for another "Ride the Rockies." I also have about 9,000 miles on that. That cost about $1,600.00

Then I bought a new road bike from EBay for $290.00, on which I have about 1,000 miles, and it rides just great. I used it for my trainer and to throw in the back of my hatch back for after work rides. (I had a great trail just 1 mile from my school, and could get a good ride in before it got dark, as my commute was 35 miles by car). Since retired and using the $290 as a trainer.

So, my point, after this wind up, is that you will find all sorts of bikes and costs for those bikes on these forums.

A hybrid is a good compromise for many folks, and has features of both a road bike and a mtn bike, but is neither. It does great for many folk's uses. Check out the "Recreational Forum" for more on hybrids.

Any bike that gets you out riding is a good bike. Just prior to buying my mtn bike I was riding a $15.00 ten speed that I got at a garage sale. It was a great bike also, because it got me riding again.

On this forum, you will find

Fixies
Single Speeds
Hybrids
Cross
Road
Triathlon
Mtn
Collectibles
Vintage
Touring
Recumbent
Tricycle
BMX
Comfort
Folding
Tandems
etc.

Whatever works for you! It is not unusual for folks to start out on a mtn bike or a hybrid, and after a year or so, to want a different riding experience (I got tired of being passed!).
DnvrFox,hmmm.Now I remember,your the poster who made the comment about hybrid bikes being like Buiks and were for "older people". I sounds like you're older than me, by at least a decade. My point in this thread was the attitude by "some" road bike riders, who try to impress with how much they spend on their 1400 titanium frame custom built road bikes, and look down their nose at the rest of us.