View Single Post
Old 12-11-08, 01:06 PM
trelhak
Fails at being impressed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bleriot is a fine bike. In fact, I used to own one. It looked identical to yours (except no Brooks saddle; for the life of me, I cannot get comfortable on them.)

I sold it because of the very situation you pointed out. I was in the middle of Maine, I was lucky enough to find a bike shop, and the shop owner was courteous enough to offer to order some 650B tires for me and they'd be in the store in a few business days. I guess had I been a lemming with 700c wheels I would have been able to replace my tire quickly and cheaply and then could have ridden off a cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

Please don't consider me a hater. You can question something without hating on it. (at least in real life you can. I suppose on the interwebs any criticism at all is a flame.)

650B has it's place, probably.

My question is, "Why or how did Grant decide that anyone less than 5'10" must not ride a 700c wheel?" No Rivendell can be had now for riders under 5'10" that doesn't have 26" (the Atlantis) or 650B (everything else.)

It doesn't make sense.

What was so wrong about the Rambouillet that Grant (a businessman) would feel the need to kill off his best-selling model to be replaced with two models? That doesn't make business sense.

I like the Rivendell ideals and I want to buy one, but I think one of the core ideals, "well-made bikes that are normal, easy to work on, easy to replace parts for and that aren't so specialized as to be useless" is being a little muddled.