Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GV27
+1 to all that.

Weight is a grossly overestimated factor. 1) People make a big deal out of a pound or two on the bike while it's inconsequential in the total weight of the bike plus rider. 2) It's on the bike and rolling down the road - it's not like you're riding around holding that pound out in front of you nor are you lifting it vertically. You can push a lot more groceries around effortlessly in a cart than you can lift over your head at one go. 3) Weight slows down acceleration and climbing accentuates it, but once up to speed extra weight helps maintain that speed and helps overcome aero drag going downhill. It's a non-factor on a commute for the most part. A time-trial up l'Alpe d'Huez? Sure. "Jumping" to catch the wheel of a breaking-away rider? Sure. Your flat or rolling ride to work? Nope.
At the same tire air pressure, my ancient steel hybrid (which weighs probably 10 lbs more than my road bike, easily) costs me about 3 mph or so when cruising, and about 4 on hills. I guess it's up to the individual as to whether that's significant enough to care about.