Old 12-18-08, 02:08 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
....Maybe I'll just shop for new wheels for the old Schwinn - but would still like better hardware. What's the oldest (least expensive) road bike I can look for that would have modern shifters built into the hand brakes on the drops?
+1 to looking into new wheels/hubs/tires. What model of old Schwinn is it? Are the shifters up on the stem or down on the downtube? Does your MTB have grip-shifters or RapidFires? All the small things adding a second or five here and there can potentially make up for several minutes on a 17 mile commute. Plus those old steel wheels might be accelerating slower which would give the MTB the jump on you every time you slow down and speed up, again a second or five here and there add up over the commute distance.

Post up a pic of your Schwinn and your MTB, and your Hybrid if you want to, that way we will get a better picture of what you have and will be able to give better suggestions.

As to what is the least expensive frame to look for to allow brifters? Your current Schwinn might be able to be spread or cold-set in the rear to accept an 8-speed cassette hub, but I'll defer to the frame experts for that option.