Old 12-30-08, 10:58 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The whole idea of not lubricating chains is ridiculous, according to this mechanical engineer. Anyone with any brains should know that a metal to metal interface without lube will wear much faster that one with some lubrication of any sort.

Bike chains are in no way protected or shielded from road grit, so any lube will become contaminated with grit in a few hundred miles or less. Lubes with low viscosity will work their way out of the chain rather quickly. Wiping the exterior reduces the mess, but wiped or not, the chain will end up dry, rusty, noisy and wearing quickly if you don't keep it lubed.

To the OP, do you have any idea how to measure chain wear?
Well this (electrical) engineer thinks that the best way to measure chain wear is to see how long it lasts (which is the only measure of practical value). So far almost two years of daily commuting (over 4000 miles) with no detectable problems or loss of efficiency.

No doubt lubricant is necessary, but perhaps for cycling the lubrication applied prior to chain assembly is enough for the life of the chain (at least relative to the abrasive mixture that any lubricant applied post-assembly quickly becomes...implication being that "lubricant" applied to a bicycle chain is never really lubricant at all). I don't know. I'm only going on what I've found with my bicycles (which, again, is the only measure of practical value...at least for me). Thing I'm trying to understand is why I'm the only one who seems to have figured this out.

Originally Posted by mkael
A drive train which is clean , lubed , has well adjusted derailleurs , good chainline in gear and parts not worn down is fun . It's fun to ride. No weird noise. It feels efficient. The feeling is more "connected to the bike". If something is missing in this equation something feels wrong. To the OP , try a bike with a nice drivetrain for 5 minutes and compare it to your bike. Is it possible you have gotten used to it?
Nope. Unlubed singlespeed drivetrain still feels way more efficient than a, presumably, lubed derailleur geared bike from the showfloor of the LBS. In fact, that's half the reason I ride a singlespeed. No mess, no muss, no fuss, and it still feels more efficient.

I have to wonder, have you tried a bike that doesn't have a derailleur without a lubed chain? Not trying to turn the tables here, but I just can't understand why people lube their chains. I understand all the theory, but in practice I've found no advantage unless a derailleur is involved.

Originally Posted by mkael
You have derailleurless bikes. Look into a chain case. Then you don't have any reason not to lube your chain. I know they look ugly and maybe not like racing.
I don't have any reason to lube my chain as it is (other than feeling like I'm in the twilight zone). Works perfectly. In my eyes, chain oiling is a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited by makeinu; 12-30-08 at 11:33 PM.