View Single Post
Old 12-31-08, 12:47 AM
cody k

Bikes: pacific exploit racing team series, trek fuel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have not ran into an unlubbed chain that has not been squeaky, have you ever seen a chain that has been out in the weather for a long time unlubbed it gets dirty and rusty then it gets froze up and wont bend but as soon as you take a little wd40 to it it frees right up and becomes bendable again why does it do this? becaus the oil loosens up dirt and rust and slowly works the dirt and rust out of the chain, yes the outside of the chain collects dust nothing you can do about that, i rebuild and restore antique engines and tractors i have seen the kind of dirt and rust it can work out of a stuck piston that has been stuck like that for 80 years, when you have metal to metal rubbing together it wears when you throw some dirt in the picture it wears faster now lets throw some oil in thier now the metal is not rubbing on the metal no more and now the dirt has a harder time sanding away the metal caus thier is lubricant between the dirt and metal so the dirt has a harder time rubbing against the metal, its like taking a piece of sand paper to raw metal it will sand away now if you put oil on the metal and try to sand it it does not sand nearly as easily, its also like taking the oil out af the transmission on your car and drivin off first it starts not shifting right next your walking, its the same with a chain no oil it breaks down the chain and sprockets wheather its a single or 27 speed bike, i would rather lube my chain to keep my $50 chain and $100 9spd cassette from wearing out it gets expensive replacing this stuff all the time, i have been wondering if you do not oil your chain how much oil is in your car, you may be walkin soon