Old 01-04-09, 08:45 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
The chains were adequately tensioned when they left the showroom floor so as to not have enough slack to fall off over bumps. Obviously, only when the bikes stopped performing, such as when the chains started falling off, they brought the bikes in for service. You tell me what changed in the chain to cause it to lengthen and fall off when all the other variables, like rear-wheel distance to chainring remain fixed?
Axles slip in horizontal fork ends. In my experience you need tugnuts and you need to tighten them after you tighten the axle nuts because if you tighten the tugnuts before the axle nuts it will still slip.

Not to be a jerk, but I can't say I'm surprised at your attitude as a bike mechanic because whenever I bring my bikes for work at an LBS (to save myself time) I have to end up readjusting the drivetrain myself at home because those clowns don't know how to do it.

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Just get out of your head and do some real-world testing with empirical data. It's like arguing whether the Earth is flat or round. It's impossible to come to any conclusion without collecting real-world data.
Nonsense. I have a perfectly good conclusion: My chains work as well as I can discern from the saddle without oiling and, thus, I don't need to oil them.

While I may want to reevaluate this conclusion if my next chain doesn't perform on par, at this time there's nothing further I could possibly derive from additional testing because I already have a solution which performs to specification.

Last edited by makeinu; 01-04-09 at 08:53 PM.