Old 01-09-09, 07:04 PM
Hot Potato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy did you get me thinking. Before I ordered the Marin, I was looking at IGH bikes with disc brakes. I didn't have much to choose from locally. A few of the bikes I saw online I was able to see locally, but nothing really reached out and grabbed me. It was always something.. didn't quite like the way that one looked, didn't quite like the price of this one, the other had components I wasn't sure about. Round and round I went until I just decided to only use the criteria above, 700c wheels, disc brakes, fenders AND 40mm studs, thousand bucks. IGH just drove the price up, and made the bike less likely to have the other stuff I considered desirable.

So when I get the Marin or other bike (still wondering if someone will come along and post a bike I will like better), my old schwinn will be hanging from the garage ceiling unused, with components and set up I don't enjoy. Which means I won't be using it for anything else, so I could turn it into a project bike! A quick google search tells me:

700c Shimano IGH wheel with roller brake and new shifter - $355
Disc brake front fork - $90
Disc brake kit and lever - $105

So for $550 (and I have no idea if my numbers are accurate), I could convert a bike I have been tempted to push to the curb into something I want to hang on to? Geez. Now I am wondering if I should cancel the Marin, tough out this winter with my rim brakes, set up the schwinn for next year. Look what you have started!

Last edited by Hot Potato; 01-09-09 at 07:09 PM.