View Single Post
Old 01-16-09, 09:22 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pawn
I call BS on this one. Anywhere you go that serves a purpose is commuting...as in "I commuted to the grocery store to run a few errands by bike, because otherwise I would have driven my car." Or, "I commuted to the Obama inauguration by bike, because otherwise I would have driven my car...or perhaps commuted by bus or train."

Really though, anywhere you go on bike could be considered a commute if there is a definite endpoint at where you will be off bike doing something for a little while, only to get back on bike and ride home.

Everyone has their definitions.

So people can't commute by car? That's what you're implying. That would be news to me.

I call BS on your BS call. If you work at the grocery store, then you commute there. Otherwise you just go shopping, and the mode of travel is irrelevant.

As another poster said, commuting implies a trip which is repeated. Obama isn't inaugurated every day. Unless one is a busy wedding singer, one doesn't go to weddings everyday. Therefore, one does not commute to either of those.

If I ride my bike to the trail, ride on the trail, and then ride back---did I commute to the trail? Not unless I worked there. No, I just rode my bike. By your definition, the bicycle leg of a triathlon is a commute to the marathon leg. LOL