Old 01-28-09, 08:54 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
With a lugged and brazed frame the tubes can be separated from their lugs and replaced if they become damaged... a simple brazing setup and replacement tube is all you need and with a standard 1 inch tube size finding a spare should not be hard to do.

A lugged bottom bracket is very strong and if well made should never cause any problems whereas a welded bb may suffer from issues stemming from overheating... as a mechanic I have seen a good number of cracked bottom brackets on welded frames but it is rare to see a lugged frame with these issues.

For the long haul I would pick a lugged frame due to its ease of serviceability in the event of mishap as a person with basic skills would be able to repair it properly whereas repairing a welded frame is a little more difficult.

On many bikes the welds at the chainstay seem to be a very vulnerable point as this is where a lot of load is concentrated... my friend's Kuwahara mtb developed a crack at the rear dropout (a common problem with 1984 - 1985 Kuwaharas) and our local frame builder manufactured and then replaced the stock dropouts with new ones for $100.00.

The bike should be good for another 25 years of riding as it is otherwise still perfect.