View Single Post
Old 02-14-09, 12:52 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

My '60 Legnano Roma is now roadworthy but after a few rides I plan on some changes.

I do not like the bend of the Ambrosio bars. I ride Cinelli 64's or the modern equivilent Deda 215's on all my bikes that get ridden. So I'm looking for a Cinelli chrome steel stem and period 64's to replace the Ambrosio combo.

I also hate the bar-ends. I'm sure they would work fine with modern cable housings or routed out at the hooks, but I do not like that look, and do not want to use non original housings. But as is, the pull is just too hard to get into the low gears. I've messed with them a lot and know I have them as good as it will get.

So I'm going to switch to DT shifters. That way when I change the bar and stem I can leave the original stuff intact with the levers and bar-ends and keep them in storage to put back on in the future if I decide to sell or trade it.

I also have a modded B-17 coming to replace the Pro. Might have to go with red wrap on the new bars. I was on the fence with the green (which arrived blue-er than it looked online). I kind of like it but have gotten some hate over it as well. Not that I usually cave to bike-nerd peer pressure, but in this case they may be right.

Other than that it's a pretty nice riding bike. Way too slack for my taste, but solid and smooth. For some reason it's a lot more comfortable to ride down in the hooks mototring along in a big gear. It feels cramped riding on the tops, which is weird as the top tube is 1 cm longer than I usually ride and the stem is my normal 10cm. It may just be the saddle which tends to have me sliding forward. I'm not used to riding a Brooks. It seems like it has enough tilt back but? Anyway since it's getting changed out I'll deal with it later.