Old 04-07-09, 07:42 AM
TimothyF
Roll Tide

Bikes: Windsor Tourist Diamondback Edgewood FRANKENBIKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 81 miles Sunday, in 5.5 hours. My longest of the year. I had a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and yogurt for breakfast, and was on the bike 30 minutes later. I packed my Camelbak with water, and my trunk bag with 2 bananas, a serving of raw almonds and an apple.

Anyway, I tried to eat every hour. Towards mile 68, I stopped for a Met-RX bar and Gatorade. I really was struggling after getting caught in a thunderstorm and being cold for most of my ride. The snack really lifted my spirits and kept me going. The bar was 340 cals, and a whopping 55 carbs and a lot of protein. Taste was another matter, but I wasn't picky at this point.

I felt extremely full when I got home, but drank some homemade lowfat choc milk anyway(made from Hershey's special dark cocoa). Stomach felt hard, and a little bloated maybe.

I am trying to lose weight, so I have an internal conflict over eating and riding. I know I need to eat on long rides, but I love to see the big numbers for the calorie burn as well.

I think I will have some type of electrolytes and a salty snack earlier in the ride next time.

But the milk was delicious. I felt fine after a good nap.