Old 04-28-09, 12:59 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Day 6: Moderate - 75 miles and an estimated 5,800 ft of climbing.

In looking at the BTC forums and in hearing questions and conversation, this is the most controversial day of the tour… And in my opinion, one of the best. Yes, there is 15 miles of dirt road from Taylor Park Resv to the summit. Yes, before I rode this route, I was concerned about the dirt. After I rode the pass for the first time, I literally found that the dirt road was BETTER than the surrounding paved road. I can't guarantee that it will be as good this year… but I can say that people really should not worry about it.

This is a great ride. It will be a cold start out of Crested Butte , but it will be a fast trip to Almont given the downhill trend. From Almont, you start the climb and it’s a 35 mile climb. You’ll know you are going up, but it will be mild until you get to the Cottonwood pass turnoff at Taylor Park Resv.

From there, the grade increases from the 1%-2% levels to 3%-4%. At about mile 45, you start climbing in earnest. The dirt really is irrelevant here as you are climbing and not going very fast to start with. On top of that, the upper portion of the route has something like 12 switchbacks. The switchbacks are steep and those, combined with the altitude will take your breath away. If you decide to look back over your shoulder, the views are stunning.

Once over the top, you will have the downhill of your life. The grades approach 10% on the downhills and the roads are in great shape. My first time down this pass I hit 60 MPH easily. There are some switchbacks to watch for and you must control your speed on those, but if the opportunity presents itself, you can fly. Buena Vista is a great place for the night. Relax, you earned it.

-------

35 mile climb. 60 mph decent.....oh snap. later.