View Single Post
Old 08-23-09, 09:22 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
But notice, that what you are calling "freaking hot" is about on par with what cycle_maven described as a cooling trend. I've noticed that living in Oregon tends to decrease one's tolerance for temperature extremes (hot or cold).
This is true, at least in the valley. I'm a midwestern transplant, and the first thing I noticed was the lack of weather out here. I literally laughed at what people called "hot" and "cold." What passes for a thunderstorm is particularly amusing.

Stay here long enough and the wussification process will get you as it got me. Summer weather is usually nearly perfect. The rest of the time, the heavens spit on you to remind you of your place in the universe. However, despite the fact that it rains all the time, it's always a light rain. We simply don't see the torrential downpours you get in the midwest and the south.

The state is as bike friendly as it gets. People whine all the time, but the laws and culture are as easy on cyclists as I've seen in the US. I far more often have the problem of people being too nice to me than too aggressive.