View Single Post
Old 09-04-09, 12:11 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Hi, I'm am in the process of doing the same with a Miyata 100 (1000 fork). I am building it up with the components I will move to a custom touring frame (Mercian or Bob Jackson) in the next year or so.
I decided to go with Shimano as much as possible as it is easy to get hold off, find spare parts for and 'cos it's what I've always had, though there are most assuredly other alternatives.

Your 610 is a better frame (same as 1000), worth building up imo
  • Wheels: Mavic A719, 36 hole with XT hubs and DT swiss Champion spokes. (bomb proof wheelset for touring)
WARNING! To fit modern hubs your frame will have to be "cold set" (bent and the dropouts realigned) from 126mm to 130mm (for road hubs) or 135mm (for mtb hubs). See Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cn-z.html#coldset
  • Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus (front 28mm, rear 32mm) for maximal puncture resistance in the area I'll be touring next (inland California which is "Goathead" country), otherwise Continental Top Touring.

• Brakes: Dual Caliper long reach (BR-A550) with Ultegra levers. Your 610 has braze ons for cantilevers or V-brakes, right? Shimano have LX V-brakes and levers, or search BF for alternatives.

• Crankset: LX 44/32/22, Cassette LX 11-28 (check out Sheldon Browns gear chart:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    for the gear ratios that suit you)

• Gear levers: Dura Ace 9-speed bar-cons
  • Front derailleur: LX (has shims for 28.6mm frames), is ok with bar-cons.
  • Rear derailleur: LX SGS (long cage)

• Chain: LX, but SRAM seems to be a better choice (with masterlink)

• Pedals: MKS GR9 (with toe clips)

• Headset: Dura Ace threaded (couldn't get hold of the Ultegra which is basically the same headset but cheaper, the 105 gets pretty bad reviews). Your headset maybe ok with a change of ball bearings and not need replacing.

• Stem: Nitto Technomic Deluxe, 25,4mm, 100mm (is extra long so handlebars can be raised (haven't ordered this yet, will be keeping the original stem for the time being)
  • Seatpost: Not upgraded yet either, maybe Ritchey Comp V2
  • Handlebars: Ritchey Comp Road Logic Anatomic Alloy Drop Handlebars - 25.8mm Clamp - Black
If your stem, seatpost and handlebars are in good condition and "fit" there's no reason to replace them.
  • Fenders: SKS Chromoplastic 700c, 35mm. Check what size your 610 can take, the narrowest part is just behind the crankset. For my 100, 35 is the max which is tight but ok with 32mm tires ('though with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 32mm it is such a close fit that I may go without rear fender and have a folded tarp on the rack).

• Rear Rack: Tubus Logo (I don't have a pannier rack on the front)

Disclaimer: I'm not finished yet so there may be compatability issues I'm not aware of yet :/
Hope this helps, these are just my choices, maybe not "the best", but I tried to do my homework, was helped greatly by the folks here at BF. Any questions or more details please feel free to PM me

Last edited by imi; 09-04-09 at 12:41 AM.