View Single Post
Old 10-29-09, 03:44 PM
not_jason

Bikes: '85 Univega Safari-Ten (fixed), '84 Univega Supra-Sport, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '86 Bianch Giro, '93 Cannondale R300, '68 Raleigh Gran-Prix (S3X fixed), '74 Schwinn Sprint (fixed), '5? Raleigh Lenton, '73 Raleigh Sprite, '36 Three Spires... etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, this bike is very similar to my old Royce Union "Static FS" that I bought when I was in Junior High. Unpleasant memories.

Anyway, it's too late to stop you from doing what you've already done, but here's why you shouldn't have:

- First off, paint and chrome don't get along very well. It's probably going to chip off very easily
- You were lucky enough to find a bike with aluminum rims (my old RU had steel rims), which would have been pretty good for braking. Since you painted them, they're probably going to stop really poorly until the paint wears back off of them.
- Taking everything apart, only to paint every single component, is just silly. The end result is that it's going to appear as though you just left it together and painted everything at once.
- This is a matter of taste, but certain components just shouldn't be painted: Seat posts, cranks, sprockets, FREEWHEELS, BRAKES, brake levers...

Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but you took what was a cheap bad looking bike, briefly made it look good as new, and then made it look even worse.