Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

an avoidable outcome

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

an avoidable outcome

Old 01-16-10, 11:37 PM
  #1  
bigtea
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigtea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
an avoidable outcome

Sad news. Helmets do prevent serious injury.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lack...skull-fracture

Good news. Helmet destroyed, rider okay.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sole...training-crash
bigtea is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 09:37 AM
  #2  
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtea View Post
Sad news. Helmets do prevent serious injury.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lack...skull-fracture
Your statement is a conjecture.
clausen is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 09:44 AM
  #3  
bigtea
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigtea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen View Post
Your statement is a conjecture.
Okay, it is pure conjecture. So what is your point about the benefit, or lack thereof, of helmets?
bigtea is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 09:47 AM
  #4  
DaveSSS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,499

Bikes: TWO Cinelli superstar disc with SRAM Force AXS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 269 Posts
Obviously, no one knows what would have happened if a helmet had been worn, but few would conclude that the result would have been worse, if a helmet was worn.

I've broken 6 helmets in 10 different wrecks over 25 years and I'm certain that injury was prevented by wearing one, particularly the time when I went over the front and the only thing that kept my eye socket off the pavement was the helmet. I still got a cut when my eyeglass frame was shoved into my face, near my eye, but the cut was not severe.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-17-10 at 10:05 AM.
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:03 AM
  #5  
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtea View Post
So what is your point about the benefit, or lack thereof, of helmets?
Looking for a argument? Show me your facts.
clausen is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:12 AM
  #6  
RT
The Weird Beard
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: COS
Posts: 8,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen View Post
Looking for a argument? Show me your facts.
...and take it to A & S. Epic 55+ page thread over there.
RT is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:15 AM
  #7  
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
...and take it to A & S. Epic 55+ page thread over there.
+1

Go wait over there Bigtea, I'll be there in a few minutes.
clausen is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:24 AM
  #8  
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large
 
khatfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For facking sake, do we REALLY have to argue that hearing a helmet is a good idea?!

Fine clausen, don't wear a helmet. Get in a crash and get effing brain damaged. Don't come looking to me, tax payers, or insurance companies for help for you or your family because you were too stupid to take every reasonable precaution to avoid serious injury. Same for motorcycle riders who don't wear helmets, same for car drivers that don't wear seat belts. Once you've done everything you can to be safe, then cry me a river.

Is cycling dangerous, yes it is...just as is driving a car. But because it's inherently dangerous doesn't mean that we shouldn't do all we can to be safe. That includes a helmet.
khatfull is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:36 AM
  #9  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
..
botto is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:37 AM
  #10  
Trucker Dan
Senior Member
 
Trucker Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is lots of evidence that motorcycle helmets and seat belts increase safety. There is little evidence that bicycle helmets prevent or lessen the severity of head injuries in adults.
Trucker Dan is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:40 AM
  #11  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker Dan View Post
There is lots of evidence that motorcycle helmets and seat belts increase safety. There is little evidence that bicycle helmets prevent or lessen the severity of head injuries in adults.
..
botto is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:57 AM
  #12  
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull View Post
For facking sake, do we REALLY have to argue that hearing a helmet is a good idea?!

Fine clausen, don't wear a helmet. Get in a crash and get effing brain damaged. Don't come looking to me, tax payers, or insurance companies for help for you or your family because you were too stupid to take every reasonable precaution to avoid serious injury. Same for motorcycle riders who don't wear helmets, same for car drivers that don't wear seat belts. Once you've done everything you can to be safe, then cry me a river.

Is cycling dangerous, yes it is...just as is driving a car. But because it's inherently dangerous doesn't mean that we shouldn't do all we can to be safe. That includes a helmet.
I do wear a helmet, that's my choice and MY OPINION is that it provide safety in the case of a crash.

My whole point is that without facts trying arguing/preaching is stupid.
clausen is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:59 AM
  #13  
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
..
Originally Posted by botto View Post
..
Count to 10, deep breath.
clausen is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 10:59 AM
  #14  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,398
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 320 Posts
How about senseless troll threads that are placed in the wrong forum earn the OP an infraction? Is this board even moderated anymore, or is everyone tied up still figuring out the train wreck board package?
gsteinb is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 11:01 AM
  #15  
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
How about senseless troll threads that are placed in the wrong forum earn the OP an infraction?
I'll second that.
clausen is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 02:50 PM
  #16  
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07
 
Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SE Florida, USA aka the Treasure Coast
Posts: 5,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
This needs to be in A&S. Late moderation as opposed to no moderation.
__________________
“Life is not one damned thing after another. Life is one damned thing over and over.”
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Walter is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 02:52 PM
  #17  
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Posts: 12,340

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets mess up my hair.
substructure is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 03:43 PM
  #18  
Dan The Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Lack of Helmet led to Skull Fracture" how about "Lack of not Crashing led to Skull Fracture"
Dan The Man is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 04:08 PM
  #19  
SlimAgainSoon
Senior Member
 
SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
“I was saved but my bicycle and helmet were destroyed.” — Mauricio Soler.

It would be interesting to ask him.

And ... too bad about the bike!
SlimAgainSoon is offline  
Old 01-17-10, 11:01 PM
  #20  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
"Lack of Helmet led to Skull Fracture" how about "Lack of not Crashing led to Skull Fracture"
Or better yet, doping increased his red blood cell count, causing serious and nearly fatal blood clotting.
CB HI is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 09:38 AM
  #21  
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtea View Post
Sad news. Helmets do prevent serious injury.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lack...skull-fracture
You really have to get out more.

What do you say to all those cyclists who receive fractured skulls while wearing helmets? (Oh wait, I know. It would have been worse had they not been wearing a helmet!)

Join the thread this ridiculous conjecture belongs in.

Helmets are all about fear. Cycling is no more dangerous than being a pedestrian. Stories are told to wring out an emotional reaction and side step logical thought. Not making the best decisions lead to worse outcomes. Head injuries among cyclists have gone up as more and more cyclists started wearing helmets. and, countries with the most helmet use also have the most head injuries.

Last edited by closetbiker; 01-18-10 at 09:42 AM.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 02:00 PM
  #22  
Laserman
Senior Member
 
Laserman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 383

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
You really have to get out more.

What do you say to all those cyclists who receive fractured skulls while wearing helmets? (Oh wait, I know. It would have been worse had they not been wearing a helmet!)

Join the thread this ridiculous conjecture belongs in.

Helmets are all about fear. Cycling is no more dangerous than being a pedestrian. Stories are told to wring out an emotional reaction and side step logical thought. Not making the best decisions lead to worse outcomes. Head injuries among cyclists have gone up as more and more cyclists started wearing helmets. and, countries with the most helmet use also have the most head injuries.
Amen!
[rant] The nervous nannies who percieve themselves as the intellectual elite and are bound and determined to "save" everyone who isn't as smart really tick me off. [/rant]
Laserman is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 02:08 PM
  #23  
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Quite often, nervous nannies rely on anecdotal stories, the anecdotal stories that enforce their predetermined viewpoints.

If one examines the problem in it's entirety, the issue becomes better understood, but nervous nannies rarely do examine the problem in it's entirety. They only examine what they want to know. They turn a blind eye to stories that go against their vision and fail to place the stories into proper context. They also tend to make exaggerated claims of a helmets effectiveness.

Last edited by closetbiker; 01-18-10 at 02:15 PM.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 03:00 PM
  #24  
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Posts: 3,603

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not this again.
longbeachgary is offline  
Old 01-18-10, 03:07 PM
  #25  
frymaster
Senior Member
 
frymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: where the mild things roam
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
Quite often, nervous nannies rely on anecdotal stories, the anecdotal stories that enforce their predetermined viewpoints.
you got some stats to back that up? what percentage of the time is "quite often"?
frymaster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.