Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help a Newbie Pick a Sub $500 Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

Wondering if you could help- I need a bike for commuting for under $500. After researching here's what I narrowed it down to:

Kona Smoke
Jamis Commuter 3.0
and (the odd one out)
Bianchi San Jose

I'm looking for an all-weather, easy to maintain, no non-sense commuter for my 17 mile round trip commute. There are a couple hills, but not very steep. Terrain is all road and suburban streets. I'm in OK shape but not an avid cyclist, so I'd use this mainly for commuting, errands, chasing next neighbor kids off my lawn, etc. Once I'm in better shape, will think about a roadie, so hopefully this bike would be a good start. I've owned a mtb and an old road bike way back when...let's just say Beastie Boys Check Your Head came out.

I tried out the Kona Smoke at a LBS, but no stock on the other two nearby. Kona was smooth, but a bit heavy, but then again, I'm not winning any races. I like the look and fenders. I like the IGH of the Jamis, but not too crazy on the handlebars. The Bianchi looks slick, and I like the drops, but not sure if I should go with that as a first commuter bike.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jigoro_71; 06-08-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-08-09, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 3282 Post(s)
Liked 4,031 Times in 1,488 Posts
The San Jose will be best for chasing neighbor kids off your lawn. Cyclocross bikes are very at home riding on grass...just be sure to keep the tire pressure down around 40 psi or below. For commuting on the other hand, you don't want low tire pressure like that.

If your ride really is flat enough for a single speed, I think the San Jose would be great. Of the three, it's the one I'd want for myself, but if I could only have one bike, I'd probably want something with gears.

Did you consider any of the Kona Dew line? You'd have to add your own fender and spend a few more bucks, but I think they look like better bikes than the Smoke. The Smoke is OK, though.

There's a lot to be said for buying a bike from a nearby shop.
Old 06-08-09, 07:07 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Of the 3 you listed, I'd go with the Smoke. But you might see if you can find a KHS dealer near you. They have a couple of models in your price range and one of them, the Urban X comes with fenders and rear rack.
Old 06-08-09, 07:32 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jigoro_71
Hello all,

Wondering if you could help- I need a bike for commuting for under $500. After researching here's what I narrowed it down to:

Kona Smoke
Jamis Commuter 3.0
and (the odd one out)
Bianchi San Jose

I'm looking for an all-weather, easy to maintain, no non-sense commuter for my 17 mile round trip commute. There are a couple hills, but not very steep. Terrain is all road and suburban streets. I'm in OK shape but not an avid cyclist, so I'd use this mainly for commuting, errands, chasing next neighbor kids off my lawn, etc. Once I'm in better shape, will think about a roadie, so hopefully this bike would be a good start. I've owned a mtb and an old road bike way back when...let's just say Beastie Boys Check Your Head came out.

I tried out the Kona Smoke at an LBS, but no stock on the other two nearby. Kona was smooth, but a bit heavy, but then again, I'm not winning any races. I like the look and fenders. I like the IGH of the Jamis, but not too crazy on the handlebars. The Bianchi looks slick, and I like the drops, but not sure if I should go with that as a first commuter bike.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you know how to assemble a bike:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../stratford.htm or https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy.htm or even https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cafe_latte.htm

My current #1 commuter is a Motobecane Fantom CX that I got last year for 499.00US w/no shipping. I've got over 7000 commuting miles on this bike. After 2 weeks I changed from the stock semi-knobby cx tires to 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus and have had 1 flat and 1 slow leak. Both on the rear tire. Just routine maintenence so far. I'll ride it another year, sell it on CL and buy another one. Lots of folks deride BD, but my experience has been great. Ordered the bike on a Saturday and it arrived on the following Wednesday. Added rack/bags/fenders/lights, etc. and it's served me well ever since.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 06-09-09, 07:32 AM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/545846-inexpensive-simple-commuter-bike-thread.html

I fitted the Smoke yesterday, nice ride. Hate the shifters, though.
Old 06-10-09, 05:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll be going with the Smoke.

(BTW- This is tough! no wonder people have more than one bike in their stable!)
Old 06-10-09, 05:56 AM
1. get on 2. pedal

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a St. Joe anywhere for $500. Great bike, though. Without many hills and on a limited budget I'd take a harder look at single-speeds. You'll get more bike for the money. Plus less maintenance, less hassle. I took my SS to the LBS for its spring tune-up and they could hardly find anything to do to it.

Last edited by GearsForFears; 06-10-09 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:04 AM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll be going with the Smoke.

(BTW- This is tough! no wonder people have more than one bike in their stable!)
It only gets worse, man. +1 beater, +1 singletrack rig, +1 touring...
Old 06-10-09, 10:07 AM
is a cheesehead

Bikes: 2002 Jamis Quest, 2007 IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
The San Jose will be best for chasing neighbor kids off your lawn. Cyclocross bikes are very at home riding on grass...just be sure to keep the tire pressure down around 40 psi or below. For commuting on the other hand, you don't want low tire pressure like that.
... insert Clint Eastwood snarling: "Get off my lawn".

I think cyclocross bikes make great commuters: they can take wide or skinny tires, many have eyelets for racks and fenders, they're lighter than mountain bikes, and are built to take some abuse. The bike doesn't limit the tire pressure, the tires you choose do, and there are a lot of options. In summer I ride with semi-slick tires at 100psi, and even my sloppy weather and off-roading 'cross tires can go up to 75 for road use.

Unfortunately I think the San Jose is a bit out of your price range, it's a nice bike.
Old 06-10-09, 12:39 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ka_Jun
It only gets worse, man. +1 beater, +1 singletrack rig, +1 touring...
Amen to this. Can he get a 2nd witness from the congregation? BAS(Bike Aquisition Syndrome) is a disease for which there is no cure...one can stave it off w/GASP(Gear Aquisition Sale Purchases), but it's only a temporary fix. Eventually BAS re-asserts itself and you're off to CL, ebay, yardsales, auctions, pawnshops, thriftstores...Heaven help you.
Old 06-10-09, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd avoid bikesdirect. They cut corners, and when things go wrong, you're SOL.

For the price of a new bikesdirect bike, you can buy a much nicer used bike and the required tools to fix it when it eventually goes wrong (which it will.)
Old 06-10-09, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
+1 to the recommendation to consider a used bike. A new Singlespeed may be a worthy bang-for-buck option, too.

For $500 (or less) you can get into a very nice quality used bike that will suit your needs. Craig's List is an excellent resource.
Old 06-10-09, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Canondale CAAD 10 3; Trek 7200; Motobecane Grand Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot
I'd avoid bikesdirect. They cut corners, and when things go wrong, you're SOL.

For the price of a new bikesdirect bike, you can buy a much nicer used bike and the required tools to fix it when it eventually goes wrong (which it will.)
I just bought a BD bike and all of the corners look fine and uncut. Granted, I bought a higher-end road bike so maybe the aforementioned corner cutting occurs on the lower-end stuff? Regardless, whatever you buy, make sure you love it and will be happy with it. Otherwise, you'll have buyers remorse right out of the gate.
Old 06-10-09, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycho
I just bought a BD bike and all of the corners look fine and uncut. Granted, I bought a higher-end road bike so maybe the aforementioned corner cutting occurs on the lower-end stuff? Regardless, whatever you buy, make sure you love it and will be happy with it. Otherwise, you'll have buyers remorse right out of the gate.
I thought the same. And then the pedals snapped, the cranks started to disintegrate, and the hubs are...well, poor.
Old 06-11-09, 07:20 AM
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Derailleurs Shimano 8spd front, Shimano Sora 8spd rear
these are the listed specs on one of the bikesdirect bikes. 64 speeds. Cool. Bet it can climb a tree in low gear.

As for what type of bike you can find for under 500 bucks? I'd go with my favorite brand......used.

Very good nearly new bikes can be had for less than half price. Slightly older ones for a small fraction. I honestly don't ever see myself dropping the money on a new bike. Well, maybe when Obama comes out with a $1000 tax credit on one I might bite.

Last edited by trekker pete; 06-11-09 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-13-09, 08:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kweichsel

Unfortunately I think the San Jose is a bit out of your price range, it's a nice bike.
Crrr*p. Now I'm thinking SS/FG since Jensons has an '08 San Jose in 58 for $449 https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Bike+08.aspx
Old 06-16-09, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was/am in the same boat and narrowed my search down to the Jamis Commuter (as you have), the Trek Allant and the Giant Tran Send DX. I test rode all three and liked the Jamis bike the least. It was clunky and the brakes didn't seem all very responsive. I ultimately went with the Giant. So far so good.
Old 06-29-09, 06:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update- Bianchi San Jose

FTW- Bianchi San Jose...
(with Planet Bike Cascadia fenders (for hybrid/29ers) and Eco Rack). Had to get a 10-34 3/4" bolt from Home Depot to accommodate the fenders/rack on the one rear eyelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0139.jpg (101.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_0140.jpg (92.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-29-09, 08:42 AM
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since you test rode the kona smoke and seem to like it, i would say get it.
Old 06-29-09, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FTW- Bianchi San Jose...
(with Planet Bike Cascadia fenders (for hybrid/29ers) and Eco Rack). Had to get a 10-34 3/4" bolt from Home Depot to accommodate the fenders/rack on the one rear eyelet.
Nick bike. Did you get the deal from Jenson USA?
Old 06-29-09, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
Nick bike. Did you get the deal from Jenson USA?
Thanks,

Yep. After all the positive replies about the San Jose and the price on Jenson's, I couldn't pass it up.
Old 06-29-09, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the 52cm model a couple weeks ago. I live an hour south of the main store and had it shipped there. They were nice enough to put it together for me when it arrived.

I agree, the price was awesome.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-30-09, 12:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FTW- Bianchi San Jose...
Nice bike, congratulations.