Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2014 Giant Talon

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2014 Giant Talon

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 Giant Talon

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first mountain bike. I've been riding the trails with my CX bike and I'm fed up not be able to keep up on descents. I put the CX bike on craigslist recently. I've been looking into mountain bikes lately. However, i'm not familiar with the components of a MTB.

Here are my questions:

My LBS has this bike (Talon 27.5 5 (2014) (2013) | Giant Bicycles | United States) black and green for $510. Is it good price?

Are the components any good? They seem entry level... so, i'm assuming they would be comparable with Sora on a road bike.

How tough is it to climb in one of these? I know this MTB has to be heavier, although not sure by how much. In comparison, my CX bike weighs 25 lbs and it was pretty tough to climb.
Old 07-10-14, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 views and no responses? C'mmon! Help please... I'm planning on buying this bike today.
Old 07-10-14, 04:07 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a fine bike. Test ride it, see how it fits and feels, and if you like it, it'll treat you well.
Old 07-12-14, 12:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here she is!!

Old 07-12-14, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
Its a good starter bike and should last you a while. Should climb better than your CX bike despite it's weight because it is geared much lower.
Old 07-12-14, 05:27 PM

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by rekon
Here she is!!

Congrats! I have a 2014 Talon 4 that I got this past winter and love mine---my first MTB as well. Has served me quite well so far--very pleased with the purchase. I'm in LA too--doing plenty of climbing over here in the Pasadena and surrounding area mountains and hills. I actually prefer the color scheme of your bike BTW....
Old 07-12-14, 08:37 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Nice bike. Can't go wrong with Giant, excellent brand. I see you got a good price on the bike. That model has a few advantages, one of them being the 8 speed (vs 7speed). The 8 speed rear wheel is a free hub so you can upgrade to 9 or 10 speed if you so desire. The 7 speed is a freewheel design so to upgrade, you'd have to buy a new wheel. Congrats and enjoy it.
Old 07-13-14, 12:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Congrats! I have a 2014 Talon 4 that I got this past winter and love mine---my first MTB as well. Has served me quite well so far--very pleased with the purchase. I'm in LA too--doing plenty of climbing over here in the Pasadena and surrounding area mountains and hills. I actually prefer the color scheme of your bike BTW....
Thanks! The Talon 4 is a cool looking bike! I like the red scheme...

I'm in woodland hills and ride the victory trailhead all the time. What's your favorite trails around Pasadena?
Old 07-14-14, 08:46 AM

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by rekon
Thanks! The Talon 4 is a cool looking bike! I like the red scheme...

I'm in woodland hills and ride the victory trailhead all the time. What's your favorite trails around Pasadena?
I've mostly been riding Arroyo Seco (considered a "beginner" trail by some, but I find parts of it pretty challenging!) and working my way up to El Prieto which is out here by JPL. Haven't tried Brown Mountain yet as I hear it's quite advanced. I also have been exploring Cherry Canyon which is by Descanso Gardens. Great views up from the top there.
Will look into Victory. I took the CORBA skills class out at Monterey Creek State Park and that park seemed REALLY nice--intend to go back there soon to ride.
Old 08-13-14, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey dude i am gonna buy this bicycle but i am wondering 1. what size frame is that looks like a small 2. what are the gears like? are they the wons on the handelbars that u twist around? if you can tell thanks. P.S i am getting the white one