Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting from Drop to Trekking bars

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Converting from Drop to Trekking bars

Old 06-03-17, 04:31 PM
  #1  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Converting from Drop to Trekking bars

I am researching changing my drop bars on my surly long haul trucker to butterfly/ trekking bars. In understand to mount the bar end shifters I will need a Paul Thumbie mount. The bar end shifters on the bike are BSM10 10 speed, my question is do they pull apart so they can be successfully attached to the Paul Thumbie?. I am assuming that you only use the handle part of the mechanism?. I do not want to jump in and then find out I am up for a new set of shifters as the Paul Thumbies are expensive as it is. Appreciate any help thanks.
johngal is offline  
Old 06-03-17, 06:44 PM
  #2  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,632

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Its like converting to flat bars, different brake levers, shift levers ('Thumbies' with your bar end shifters)
and re cabling, maybe a new stem too.

VO has a cheaper thumbie (TW-China sourced)

the square interface is actually a carry over from Italian downtube shifter bosses.




....
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-03-17, 07:21 PM
  #3  
gauvins
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: QC Canada
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have butterfly handlebars on an LHT. Since I've built on a frame and settled for Shimano XT, I haven't had any issue with shifters and brake levers.

I am fairly happy but would like to draw your attention to the bike's geometry. Even with a longer stem (Thomson elite 135mm), I often wish that the handlebars be further away, by 30mm or so.
gauvins is offline  
Old 06-03-17, 07:32 PM
  #4  
Barabaika
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy Microshift 10-speed thumb shifters for the price of the Paul Thumbies.
Then you can sell your bar-ends.
Microshift SL-M10 Shimano 10-Speed MTB Thumb Shifters | eBay
Barabaika is offline  
Old 06-03-17, 08:03 PM
  #5  
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,212

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johngal View Post
I am researching changing my drop bars on my surly long haul trucker to butterfly/ trekking bars. In understand to mount the bar end shifters I will need a Paul Thumbie mount. The bar end shifters on the bike are BSM10 10 speed, my question is do they pull apart so they can be successfully attached to the Paul Thumbie?. I am assuming that you only use the handle part of the mechanism?. I do not want to jump in and then find out I am up for a new set of shifters as the Paul Thumbies are expensive as it is. Appreciate any help thanks.
I have a bike with butterfly/trekking bars and my hands LOVE them. I use MTB shifters and brake handles with no problem.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline  
Old 06-03-17, 08:47 PM
  #6  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,162

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I put trekking bars on my mountain bike after I developed arthritis in one of my wrists. I was able to use the same brake levers and shifters. There are many more positions to put my hands, which suits the arthritis just fine.

I also bought a set for my road bike which has drop bars. I've assembled the other things I need for the conversion: 9-speed XTR trigger shifters (to replace the Ultegra STI shifters) and Paul brake levers. I haven't made the switch yet because the drop bars don't bother my wrist as much as I thought they would. Maybe I'll build up an old steel bike and use them.
Steve
Attached Images
sweeks is offline  
Old 06-03-17, 09:08 PM
  #7  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 2,301

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by johngal View Post
The bar end shifters on the bike are BSM10 10 speed, my question is do they pull apart so they can be successfully attached to the Paul Thumbie?
Yeah the lever part just unscrews with an allen wrench.
tyrion is online now  
Old 06-04-17, 03:01 PM
  #8  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,228

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Yeah the lever part just unscrews with an allen wrench.
Take care to keep the little washers etc. in the correct order and orientation when you take the shifter apart. Many of them have one right way and several wrong ways to assemble them.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 06-04-17, 07:41 PM
  #9  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Its like converting to flat bars, different brake levers, shift levers ('Thumbies' with your bar end shifters)
and re cabling, maybe a new stem too.

VO has a cheaper thumbie (TW-China sourced)

the square interface is actually a carry over from Italian downtube shifter bosses.




....
Thanks I will have a look, Who do you mean by VO?
johngal is offline  
Old 06-04-17, 07:44 PM
  #10  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins View Post
I have butterfly handlebars on an LHT. Since I've built on a frame and settled for Shimano XT, I haven't had any issue with shifters and brake levers.

I am fairly happy but would like to draw your attention to the bike's geometry. Even with a longer stem (Thomson elite 135mm), I often wish that the handlebars be further away, by 30mm or so.
Yes thanks for that I have thought about that point, I am fairly short at 170cm so it should not be to much of an issue to set up bike. I have ordered an adjustable stem.
johngal is offline  
Old 06-04-17, 07:49 PM
  #11  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
Take care to keep the little washers etc. in the correct order and orientation when you take the shifter apart. Many of them have one right way and several wrong ways to assemble them.
Good point thanks.
johngal is offline  
Old 06-04-17, 07:55 PM
  #12  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all above I really appreciate the feedback and benefit of your collective knowledge.
johngal is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 12:13 AM
  #13  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Orange

Originally Posted by johngal View Post
Thanks I will have a look, Who do you mean by VO?
I looked up the site Velo Orange and found the Thumbies on there, however I am a little confused as it states that they are not compatible with micro shifters?. I understand my existing shifters are Micro.
johngal is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 07:38 AM
  #14  
Metaluna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,181

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by johngal View Post
I looked up the site Velo Orange and found the Thumbies on there, however I am a little confused as it states that they are not compatible with micro shifters?. I understand my existing shifters are Micro.
Just eyeballing the pictures of the VO Thumbies, it looks like the boss where the barrel adjuster mounts sits very close to the body of the friction shifter (i.e. the round part that the cable winds on to as you move the lever). It's possible that there's not enough clearance to mount certain brands depending on how they're designed. This could especially be a problem for any 11s road or 10/11s Dyna-Sys compatible shifters. These usually require a larger diameter "barrel" in order to pull more cable per click of the lever (this is actually one of the good things about Dyna-Sys and 11s road standards). I have the equivalent of BS-M10's (10 speed Dyna-Sys compatible) on my Gevenalle shift/brake levers, and the round barrel part is noticeably fatter than both my old 9 speed Shimano barcons, as well as some 9 speed Microshifts I recently acquired. It's plausible that they would not fit on those thumbies without modification. Or maybe they'll fit, but the cable exit angle will be weird or something. You could try filing them down a bit but there's not much metal on that cable stop, and for the price they're charging, I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited by Metaluna; 06-05-17 at 07:41 AM.
Metaluna is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 07:42 AM
  #15  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,632

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Microshift is a brand, a division of Sun Race, corporation, Taiwan.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 07:50 AM
  #16  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,632

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Sweeks build looks backwards to my eye, I've set up the open end and controls to the back, neared me.

The forward bend, is used when I confront a headwind, bending my elbows a bit gets me, bent over as if in the drops.


One of my 2 trekking bar fitted bikes.. http://www.cyclofiend.com/working/20...clark1008.html

[Other one a Bike Friday Pocket Llama...]







.....

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-05-17 at 10:26 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 08:17 AM
  #17  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,162

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Sweeks build looks backwards to my eye...
On this particular bike, I'd be sitting bolt upright to use the controls. I looked at many images on the web and settled on this configuration, which works well for me and my wrist.
Steve
sweeks is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 09:01 AM
  #18  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 32,457

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
That's the way I'd put them. Controls out front for riding flats and downhills. Then grab the back, controlless section for climbing, since there's probably less need for brakes while climbing.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 10:35 AM
  #19  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,632

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
I have some streets in town... with -weight shifted, butt low behind the saddle - steep down hills, here,

so brakes , on the nearside, are actually further away when I'm nearly fully straightening my arms.

Get off and push, steep to get up, hill, to visit, friends.. the town built over.





.....
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-05-17, 11:50 AM
  #20  
johngal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
Just eyeballing the pictures of the VO Thumbies, it looks like the boss where the barrel adjuster mounts sits very close to the body of the friction shifter (i.e. the round part that the cable winds on to as you move the lever). It's possible that there's not enough clearance to mount certain brands depending on how they're designed. This could especially be a problem for any 11s road or 10/11s Dyna-Sys compatible shifters. These usually require a larger diameter "barrel" in order to pull more cable per click of the lever (this is actually one of the good things about Dyna-Sys and 11s road standards). I have the equivalent of BS-M10's (10 speed Dyna-Sys compatible) on my Gevenalle shift/brake levers, and the round barrel part is noticeably fatter than both my old 9 speed Shimano barcons, as well as some 9 speed Microshifts I recently acquired. It's plausible that they would not fit on those thumbies without modification. Or maybe they'll fit, but the cable exit angle will be weird or something. You could try filing them down a bit but there's not much metal on that cable stop, and for the price they're charging, I wouldn't risk it.
Thanks very much for your reply, certainly saved me unnecessary pain and dollars
johngal is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 03:01 PM
  #21  
keg61
short WIDE Clyde
 
keg61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oil City,PA USA
Posts: 238

Bikes: 2014 Nashbar flatbar roadbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johngal View Post
Thanks I will have a look, Who do you mean by VO?
VO is Velo Orange they have nice stuff
keg61 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
woodcraft
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
2
02-26-19 06:01 PM
biker16
Training & Nutrition
11
08-04-12 05:10 PM
tspek
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
35
02-16-10 01:40 PM
thecyclist
Training & Nutrition
3
03-27-09 12:59 PM
ryanong
Triathlon
3
09-11-07 06:14 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.