Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB30 without snap rings???

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB30 without snap rings???

Old 06-14-20, 05:00 PM
  #1  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BB30 without snap rings???

OK, newcomer here, hopefully I am in right place with my question.

I have Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2014 frame with BB30 bottom bracket shell. I removed original bearings as I wanna replace them and was thinking that inside I will find snap rings (or o-rings) or whatever that is keeping bearing not to go deeper inside of the frame. BUT to my wonder I can see that inside is something that is stopping bearings to go any further, BUT it looks like build-in barriere. I used torch and tools to try to see but there is not sign of that it is snap-ring or that it is removable.

So my question is. Are there BB30 frames that do not use snap rings but have build-in barriere inside? If not then what is it in my frame and how do I remove it? Lastly, before you ask - I am converting that BB30 to be used with shimano crank (24mm) so instead of bb30 bearings I will instal Rotorīs BB30 conversion BB. For that I believe I should have snap-rings out, but can not locate any.

Thanks in advance for help or suggestions.
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 06:39 PM
  #2  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
I think the supersix evo line used PF30 bbs, which have bearings pressed into cups that are pressed into the shell, rather than bearings pressed directly into the shell with snap-rings.
DOS is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 09:13 PM
  #3  
motorthings 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I had Evo's and CAAD's of a similar year, and are two options for what you found/what you need to go shimano BB:

1. BB30 - your bike has a built in ring/feature on each side of the BB shell that stops the bearings at the correct depth.
Solution: you can easily get a press in tube that will allow you to use a shimano BB.
ask your LBS about it, you could find the part on your own, but should have them install it with the correct tools and method.
Once the conversion tube is installed, you can install a Shimano BB and crank

2. PF30 (as the other poster mentioned) - each bearing in your BB was contained in a plastic shell
Solution: get a BB from a company (like wheels manufacturing) that makes a BB for your frame and the kind crank you want to run.
Install the BB and Install the crank

If you can't determine what you have, your LBS could tell you with a glance.

Last edited by motorthings; 06-14-20 at 09:22 PM. Reason: detail
motorthings is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 03:31 AM
  #4  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by motorthings View Post
1. BB30 - your bike has a built in ring/feature on each side of the BB shell that stops the bearings at the correct depth.
Solution: you can easily get a press in tube that will allow you to use a shimano BB.
ask your LBS about it, you could find the part on your own, but should have them install it with the correct tools and method.
Once the conversion tube is installed, you can install a Shimano BB and crank
It is definitely BB30 as it is printed on the frame itself and as well it was printed on FSA bearing that I pulled out.
Only thing that confused me was integrated stop for bearings. For some reason I was thinking that all BB30 frames must have snap ring. That confused me. So you most likely right and it is #1 . I have correct converter BB tube (from Rotor) and as well I have pressfit tool, so now feel more comfortable to press it in. Thanks
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 05:17 AM
  #5  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie_13 View Post
It is definitely BB30 as it is printed on the frame itself and as well it was printed on FSA bearing that I pulled out.
Only thing that confused me was integrated stop for bearings. For some reason I was thinking that all BB30 frames must have snap ring. That confused me. So you most likely right and it is #1 . I have correct converter BB tube (from Rotor) and as well I have pressfit tool, so now feel more comfortable to press it in. Thanks
Well the bearings in a PF30 would be same as BB30 so the markings aren’t necessarily indicative, and I am not aware that Cannondale had used machined stops in their BB shells (Trek does). You might double check that you didn’t just bang the bearings out of the cups, leaving the pf30 cups behind (although people have successfully replaced bearings in pf30 cups without removing the cups, so it may not matter if the cups are still good).
DOS is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 10:44 AM
  #6  
motorthings 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie_13 View Post
It is definitely BB30 as it is printed on the frame itself and as well it was printed on FSA bearing that I pulled out.
Only thing that confused me was integrated stop for bearings. For some reason I was thinking that all BB30 frames must have snap ring. That confused me. So you most likely right and it is #1 . I have correct converter BB tube (from Rotor) and as well I have pressfit tool, so now feel more comfortable to press it in. Thanks
Is your BB shell carbon, or aluminum?
After thinking about it more, my assumption would also be is that any metal ring in the shell should be removable - the split in the rings might be subtle, as i think they used clips with beveled edges so the connection point was not as obvious as a standard circlip.
It looks like the BB tubes are supposed to sit fully inside the shell, and it would seem like anything that would stop the BB30 bearings would prevent the tube from installing correctly.

Last edited by motorthings; 06-15-20 at 10:55 AM.
motorthings is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 11:07 AM
  #7  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will bring some pictures soon.
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 05:45 PM
  #8  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings View Post
Is your BB shell carbon, or aluminum?
.
Good question. I think in recent yesrs, C’dale alu frames use BB30 or BB30A (C clips) while on carbon frames, they use pf30or pf30A.
DOS is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 10:13 PM
  #9  
soonerrebel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: North Aurora Il
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
All 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO's have a PF30 bottom bracket shell which requires a PF30 Bottom Bracket. The frame has a BB30 logo on it even thou its PF30, Cannondale has done this for years. They call it a PressFit BB30 which has lead to the confusion. On your frame the BB30 bearings are in cups that are pressed into the frame where as the BB30 shell frames have the BB30 bearings pressed DIRECTLY into the frame, using circlip snap rings.
soonerrebel is offline  
Likes For soonerrebel:
Old 06-17-20, 04:55 PM
  #10  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soonerrebel View Post
All 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO's have a PF30 bottom bracket shell which requires a PF30 Bottom Bracket. The frame has a BB30 logo on it even thou its PF30, Cannondale has done this for years. They call it a PressFit BB30 which has lead to the confusion. On your frame the BB30 bearings are in cups that are pressed into the frame where as the BB30 shell frames have the BB30 bearings pressed DIRECTLY into the frame, using circlip snap rings.
Seems to be the case! As I said there is large factory sticker saying BB30. And it also seems that inside of carbon BB space, there is a aluminium sleeve, however it looks like build-in sleeve, very hard to say if it is part of the frame or something removable.

ALSO sorry guys for late answer and late pictures - but am "victim" of a newbie restriction on the forum, as I am allowed to post only 5 posts in 24h and can not post pics/links until I get minimum of 10 posts. ...but guess what - this is my 10th post!
​​​​​​​
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-17-20, 05:16 PM
  #11  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So...so far this is what I know. It is aluminium insert sleeve in carbon frame.
What I donīt know - is the alu-sleeve factory inserted (more less permanently) or not? And why no snap-rings?
That alu-sleeve has something what I would call build-in stop for BB30 bearings not to go deeper in frame. A really couldnīt identify it as a snap-ring and I could not remove it.

I hope my Rotor 30mm to 24mm BB converter will fit in it. Seems like it will...



Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-17-20, 06:36 PM
  #12  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie_13 View Post
So...so far this is what I know. It is aluminium insert sleeve in carbon frame.
What I donīt know - is the alu-sleeve factory inserted (more less permanently) or not? And why no snap-rings?
That alu-sleeve has something what I would call build-in stop for BB30 bearings not to go deeper in frame. A really couldnīt identify it as a snap-ring and I could not remove it.

I hope my Rotor 30mm to 24mm BB converter will fit in it. Seems like it will...


PF30 cups. You could bang those out and replace with a whole new pf30 or just press in bb30 bearings. Curious, what did you use to pull out the bearings?
DOS is offline  
Old 06-18-20, 12:37 AM
  #13  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used ParkTool BBT-90.3 It went out pretty easily.
Parktool
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-18-20, 03:56 AM
  #14  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie_13 View Post
I used ParkTool BBT-90.3 It went out pretty easily.
Parktool
That should work to remove the Pf30 cups as well.

Editing to add: You may need to spread the fingers a bit to ensure they contact the cups. I think that particular tool is designed for smaller diameter BBs (24mm) which may explain why you hit the bearings rather than the cups. The Park RT-1 is a little wider.https://www.parktool.com/product/head-cup-remover-rt-1

but you can adjust by bending out the fingers a little.

See minute 2:20-3:30 on this pf30 installation video

.

Last edited by DOS; 06-18-20 at 04:29 AM.
DOS is offline  
Likes For DOS:
Old 06-19-20, 02:49 AM
  #15  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS View Post
:
See minute 2:20-3:30 on this pf30 installation video

https://youtu.be/ZSN8NtCy8jg.
This is awesome!!! This is literally the same bike that I have. Identical! Great find, thanks.
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 03:23 PM
  #16  
Ernie_13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ernie_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alright, once situation is clearer - another important question:

I already bought "BB30 to Shimano adpater" from Rotor (link here) , so is it better to install this in the existing aluminium retainer that is still in the frame, or should I press retainer (cups) out and buy another adapter (in that case "PF30 to Shimano") to go to frame???

Background: I bought this used frame and came with BB setup like this. Seller didnīt mention any problem with BB, but since I really wanna have Shimano groupset, I need to go this way so I can fit 24mm spindle of crank.

Any thoughts?
Ernie_13 is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 05:46 PM
  #17  
cpach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt Shasta, CA, USA
Posts: 1,808

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 144 Posts
I would get the correct PF30>24MM conversion BB.
cpach is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 07:19 PM
  #18  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie_13 View Post
Alright, once situation is clearer - another important question:

I already bought "BB30 to Shimano adpater" from Rotor (link here) , so is it better to install this in the existing aluminium retainer that is still in the frame, or should I press retainer (cups) out and buy another adapter (in that case "PF30 to Shimano") to go to frame???

Background: I bought this used frame and came with BB setup like this. Seller didnīt mention any problem with BB, but since I really wanna have Shimano groupset, I need to go this way so I can fit 24mm spindle of crank.

Any thoughts?
I dont think that is going to work.It appears to be designed for a standard BB30 frame, which would have a 42mm interior diameter shell. Your PF30 frame has a 46mm shell to accommodate the pf30 cups. To use a converter like that, you have to bang out the cups and, as @cpach says, get one specifically designed for pf30-24mm conversions.
DOS is offline  
Likes For DOS:
Old 06-20-20, 10:58 PM
  #19  
soonerrebel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: North Aurora Il
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ this!!
soonerrebel is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright Đ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.