Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel repair/building. What am I missing?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel repair/building. What am I missing?

Old 08-19-13, 07:21 PM
  #1  
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels
Thread Starter
 
PiLigand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Unied States, Maine
Posts: 384

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wheel repair/building. What am I missing?

So this past weekend I messed up my Mavic Cosmic Elites. My heart breaks a little to type that.They're probably still rideable in their 're-bent' state according to the LBS proprietor, but there is a good chance I'll be replacing them. But I thought about just getting new rims as the spokes and hubs are fine (and quite good).

But I can't seem to find cosmic elite rims. Okay, I guess that's not a thing. I can't really even find rims to fit at all. Is the 'h number' the number of holes? I would think I'd need 20h rims, but mavic isn't providing.

Gah. I feel so lost at this point, I just want my bike rolling again. Can anyone help me out with some info on rims here? Thank you much.
PiLigand is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 09:13 PM
  #2  
Mechanic/Tourist
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 7,522

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
To use the same spokes you will need hubs with not only the same number of holes but also the same ERD (effective rim diameter). There's no reason it needs to be a Mavic. I'll step aside to let others make recommendations.
cny-bikeman is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 10:28 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 39,217

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,062 Times in 1,687 Posts
One of the problems with pre-built wheels like the Cosmics is that replacement rims are priced in such a way as to make rebuilding almost as expensive as replacing with new wheels. That's if the rim is available at all.

If the dealer says your wheels are OK, live with them as long as you're willing, then buy a fresh wheel or pair, and move these slightly bend down to Plan B status for use in bad weather, or on bad roads, or as emergency back up wheels.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 10:33 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,224
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Try this guy.

https://roguemechanic.bigcartel.com/p...ack-996-054-13
Jed19 is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 10:49 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 700

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Wouldn't fit if the OP wants to reuse the spokes. Ksyrium SL rims are 22mm deep, the Cosmic Elites he has is 30mm. He can however use longer spokes if he wants to.

At $168/rim I think it's worth the rebuild given original Mavic hubs.
e_guevara is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 10:58 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 700

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PiLigand
But I can't seem to find cosmic elite rims. Okay, I guess that's not a thing. I can't really even find rims to fit at all. Is the 'h number' the number of holes? I would think I'd need 20h rims, but mavic isn't providing.
If you don't mind non-Mavic rims, you might want to try this for $100/rim

Alexrims R475

They're 30mm deep - same as the Cosmic Elites, and are available in 20H. Since it's also 30mm, it probably has the same ERD as the Cosmics. I could be wrong though.
e_guevara is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 11:33 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,605

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,893 Times in 660 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
One of the problems with pre-built wheels like the Cosmics is that replacement rims are priced in such a way as to make rebuilding almost as expensive as replacing with new wheels. That's if the rim is available at all.

If the dealer says your wheels are OK, live with them as long as you're willing, then buy a fresh wheel or pair, and move these slightly bend down to Plan B status for use in bad weather, or on bad roads, or as emergency back up wheels.
+2 on this one if the dealer says there fine more than likley there fine for a few thousand miles on this level of wheel. In The mean time rather than looking for just a rim keep an eye out for another set of wheels. Nice slightly worn similar wheelsets turn up on CL surprisingly often at fairly low prices in bigger markets. I got a nice set with cassette good tires and scewers for $120.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 08-20-13, 04:41 AM
  #8  
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels
Thread Starter
 
PiLigand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Unied States, Maine
Posts: 384

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, I'll ride them if I can. We'll see how they look once they're true again. But in the case of that not working out, what think you of something along these lines? https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/ird-n...black-rim.html
PiLigand is offline  
Old 08-20-13, 08:25 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: River City, OR
Posts: 672
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of Mavic rims or prebuilt wheels but I'll try to not let that color my response-

The rim you show from Prowheelbuilder is a deeper section rim, and will require new spokes. Have a look at the Kinlin XR300 from Bikehubstore. Same 30mm section as yours. Not certain ERD is the same but that's easily checked, Then you could reuse the spokes.

Cosmic Elites are not an expensive wheelset, nor are they particularly light. You could just true them up and save for backups. I'd build a set using Kinlins and BHS hubs. Cheap at around $400 for parts (CX-Ray spokes)- lighter than the Cosmics by 300-400g- and IMO a better wheel. The guys who are riding them think so too. Their OEM Mavic wheelsets are on the shelf after only a few miles, replaced by these.
reddog3 is offline  
Old 08-20-13, 08:39 AM
  #10  
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels
Thread Starter
 
PiLigand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Unied States, Maine
Posts: 384

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reddog3
I'm not a big fan of Mavic rims or prebuilt wheels but I'll try to not let that color my response-

The rim you show from Prowheelbuilder is a deeper section rim, and will require new spokes. Have a look at the Kinlin XR300 from Bikehubstore. Same 30mm section as yours. Not certain ERD is the same but that's easily checked, Then you could reuse the spokes.

Cosmic Elites are not an expensive wheelset, nor are they particularly light. You could just true them up and save for backups. I'd build a set using Kinlins and BHS hubs. Cheap at around $400 for parts (CX-Ray spokes)- lighter than the Cosmics by 300-400g- and IMO a better wheel. The guys who are riding them think so too. Their OEM Mavic wheelsets are on the shelf after only a few miles, replaced by these.
You are super helpful. I do now note that they are different ERDs (576 vs 577, which Iwould think is negligible?), but how would I check what the ERD of the cosmics are or what ERD i would need for my spokes? Is that printed somewhere?
YOu're right, they're not super light, but I actually like this wheelset quite a bit. There are others like it but I think it would be tough to find a better set for the same price. That being said, I'd like to use the parts I have as much as possible, so my goal would be to use the hubs at least.
PiLigand is offline  
Old 08-21-13, 08:16 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: River City, OR
Posts: 672
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PiLigand
You are super helpful. I do now note that they are different ERDs (576 vs 577, which Iwould think is negligible?), but how would I check what the ERD of the cosmics are or what ERD i would need for my spokes? Is that printed somewhere?
YOu're right, they're not super light, but I actually like this wheelset quite a bit. There are others like it but I think it would be tough to find a better set for the same price. That being said, I'd like to use the parts I have as much as possible, so my goal would be to use the hubs at least.
Mavic tech site does not give ERD measurements for rims used in wheelsets, so you must measure your own. There is a discussion here on measuring ERD- https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rd+measurement

If you're having a shop do the wheelwork, surely they have an ERD measuring device?
reddog3 is offline  
Old 08-21-13, 09:21 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,688
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
It seems like your wheels have a normal nipple/rim interface, as opposed to the threaded eyelets Mavic use on some rims. This means that you have a decent chance of figuring out the ERD, and maybe tracking down a non-Mavic rim that can be used as a replacement.

OTOH I didn't have any particular problems with sourcing a Mavic replacement rim either. Mavic online tech support got me the article number, then all I had to do was to call a LBS that could order Mavic parts, wait a week and then pay up.
As I did the work myself, I still managed to get it to make financial sense, but not by much.
dabac is offline  
Old 08-21-13, 10:14 AM
  #13  
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels
Thread Starter
 
PiLigand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Unied States, Maine
Posts: 384

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome, guys. Thanks much!
PiLigand is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
brudus
Bicycle Mechanics
24
07-12-16 10:10 AM
illusiumd
Touring
5
08-26-14 05:28 PM
dkyser
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
22
04-19-14 09:23 PM
Long Hill
Bicycle Mechanics
10
10-24-12 11:47 AM
bosoxmrkn
Road Cycling
11
07-19-10 06:35 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.