Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Two Cx bikes need lower gearing (Shimano 10sp)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Two Cx bikes need lower gearing (Shimano 10sp)

Old 01-26-15, 10:55 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 198

Bikes: Pedal Force RS, Serotta "Atlanta", Gitane "Tour de France", (2) Specialized "Stumpjumper", Trek "950"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two Cx bikes need lower gearing (Shimano 10sp)

I'm currently working on two different 10-sp cx bikes which need lower gearing. I'd like some input on my choices and options, please. Both bikes are "gravel bikes" used on paved, gravel and rough rock roads with steep climbs. Both are over-geared on the climbs. Whatever I end up doing, it needs to work reliably.

Current setup:
Chainwheel: 46x34T
Cassette: 28-11T
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 (approx. 2.3" pulley C-C) and Shimano Ultegra (approx. 2.1" pulley C-C)
Lever: Shimano 105 and Shimano Ultegra

New Parts:
Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M771 11-32 or, perhaps, 11-34
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M772 (Med Cage)
Chains: Shimano Ultegra 10-sp

Is this certain to work well assuming proper installation? Is there another route I should consider? I originally selected a XT-M786 rear derailleur but found a thread which states that I need a 9speed derailleur. I'm not sure how to get the specs to confirm one way or another.
SEAtrain is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:18 AM
  #2  
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 27,209

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6111 Post(s)
Liked 4,022 Times in 2,289 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAtrain
I'm currently working on two different 10-sp cx bikes which need lower gearing. I'd like some input on my choices and options, please. Both bikes are "gravel bikes" used on paved, gravel and rough rock roads with steep climbs. Both are over-geared on the climbs. Whatever I end up doing, it needs to work reliably.

Current setup:
Chainwheel: 46x34T
Cassette: 28-11T
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 (approx. 2.3" pulley C-C) and Shimano Ultegra (approx. 2.1" pulley C-C)
Lever: Shimano 105 and Shimano Ultegra

New Parts:
Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M771 11-32 or, perhaps, 11-34
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M772 (Med Cage)
Chains: Shimano Ultegra 10-sp

Is this certain to work well assuming proper installation? Is there another route I should consider? I originally selected a XT-M786 rear derailleur but found a thread which states that I need a 9speed derailleur. I'm not sure how to get the specs to confirm one way or another.
The M771 is the correct derailer and will work with your 10 speed. The M786 is a Dynasys that will not work with road shifters. Before you purchase the XT, however you could try to use the 105 derailer with a 32 tooth low gear. If it doesn't work, you can always get the XT.
__________________
Stuart Black
Plan Epsilon Around Lake Michigan in the era of Covid
Old School…When It Wasn’t Ancient bikepacking
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!



cyccommute is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 11:32 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,843

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Depending on what 105 RD you have, it could go up to 32. The RD-5701 with the longer cage is approved to 32T with a double crank up front. It could probably be pushed to 34.

The big issue I see with your setup is that you're going to be using 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed derailleur. That may just not work. Everyone I know who mixes road brifters with mountain derailleurs are using 9-speed brifters, with a 9 speed mountain derailleur and cassette.
dr_lha is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 12:17 PM
  #4  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,423
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3626 Post(s)
Liked 5,286 Times in 2,685 Posts
Your 10 speed shifters will work fine with the 9 speed RD. I prefer the older style ones that have a barrel adjuster. The T661 is nice. Avoid any that say Shadow or low- normal, IMO.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 01:01 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Your medium cage has exactly the required tooth capacity with the 11-34 you are looking at - 35 teeth. You should be good to go.
Slash5 is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 01:37 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,656

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,091 Times in 737 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
The big issue I see with your setup is that you're going to be using 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed derailleur. That may just not work. Everyone I know who mixes road brifters with mountain derailleurs are using 9-speed brifters, with a 9 speed mountain derailleur and cassette.
I have a 9-speed Ultegra (RD-6503) rear derailleur I've used with a 10-speed shifter and chain for thousands of miles and it works perfectly. Absolutely no reason a 9-speed MTB rear derailleur wouldn't be just as satisfactory.
HillRider is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 01:40 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,843

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I have a 9-speed Ultegra (RD-6503) rear derailleur I've used with a 10-speed shifter and chain for thousands of miles and it works perfectly. Absolutely no reason a 9-speed MTB rear derailleur wouldn't be just as satisfactory.
Good to know. I couldn't think of any real good reason it shouldn't work, but I've had issues mixing and matching components before. It only takes a minor mismatch for your shifting to be a pain-in-the-butt after all.
dr_lha is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 01:49 PM
  #8  
Licensed Bike Geek
 
Davet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Barriles, Baja Sur, Mexico
Posts: 1,359

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
It's been well documented and discussed in multiple cycling forums about the successful use of Shimano 9-speed MTB rear derailleurs with Shimano 10-speed shifters.

As for personal experience; I've set up my wife's road bike exactly that way: Shimano 6603 triple shifters/crank/front derailleur and Shimamo XT 9-speed rear derailleur and an 11-34 cassette. It's worked perfectly for over 10,000 miles.
Davet is offline  
Old 01-26-15, 08:07 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Jiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in TX
Posts: 2,266

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You can use this power calculator along with Sheldon's gear calculator to estimate if you're going to need a 32 or 34 rear sprocket. The difference between 28 to 32 is double the difference of 32 to 34.

Jiggle is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 07:32 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,894
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAtrain
I'm not sure how to get the specs
https://productinfo.shimano.com/specifications.html

MTB > Rear Derailleur > Submit
cobba is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
melcooke
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
6
06-17-13 02:19 PM
Ozan Guner
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
16
04-07-13 02:18 PM
BikePHL
Bicycle Mechanics
4
05-23-12 04:45 PM
Jed19
Bicycle Mechanics
12
08-13-11 07:23 PM
PanicDog
Bicycle Mechanics
2
01-19-11 01:26 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.