Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Looking for greater stability

BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Looking for greater stability

Reply

Old 08-12-18, 07:19 PM
  #1  
Josh_Champaign
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking for greater stability

I just signed up on the forum as I recently bought a Rowbike, which uses 20" Skyway Tuffwheel II's a.k.a. "Mag" wheels. I was excited about this because my favorite bike I had as a kid in the 80's had these. I'm finding that the bike is pretty fickle where stability is concerned, from a combination of the geometries involved in the steering and the small wheels. The wheels are fitted with standard off road knobbies, I've wondered if it would help to put some road type tires on? Any opinions? I don't think anyone here would really have experience to relate, but who knows, I figured that it's worth asking. This bike is really a niche market product, not meant for serious riding over distance or in busy cities, you can't expect to maneuver quickly with it, so slowing down the steering isn't a concern, I'd rather it were less twitchy. I stay on less busy streets and large parking lots, it's for exercise and it's more fun than rowing indoors. Maybe someday I'll try to commute to work with it, someday long into the future. lol

Was going to post a picture, but apparently I'm not allowed yet. Fair enough.
Josh_Champaign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 11:35 AM
  #2  
brdeleo49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Street type tire on my BMX

I have a BMX type bike that I use for "short" commutes. Instead of getting the "big" bike out to go to the mailbox, I just hop on my BMX. The street type tires seem to give me a bit more stability over the original knobby tires. I just cleaned and greased the BB and chain and it was good to go. I have looked at the foldable bikes with the 20" street tires, but they were a bit pricey for what I use the $30 BMX bike for. BTW, street type tires are inexpensive anyway. So I would imagine that street tires would be more enjoyable to drive on your row bike. Enjoy the ride....

Last edited by brdeleo49; 08-13-18 at 11:38 AM.
brdeleo49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 01:29 PM
  #3  
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur
 
cbrstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 424

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
When you say "Row Bike" do you mean one of these?



If so I don't think changing tires is going to help you. Nothing about that thing looks very stable to me lol
cbrstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 07:50 PM
  #4  
Josh_Champaign
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by brdeleo49 View Post
I have a BMX type bike that I use for "short" commutes. Instead of getting the "big" bike out to go to the mailbox, I just hop on my BMX. The street type tires seem to give me a bit more stability over the original knobby tires. I just cleaned and greased the BB and chain and it was good to go. I have looked at the foldable bikes with the 20" street tires, but they were a bit pricey for what I use the $30 BMX bike for. BTW, street type tires are inexpensive anyway. So I would imagine that street tires would be more enjoyable to drive on your row bike. Enjoy the ride....
Thanks! I think I'll put an order in for some!
Josh_Champaign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 07:56 PM
  #5  
Josh_Champaign
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cbrstar View Post
When you say "Row Bike" do you mean one of these?


If so I don't think changing tires is going to help you. Nothing about that thing looks very stable to me lol
Yup, that's the beast (actually, after my Dad tried it, he dubbed it "Lucifer" LMAO). It took me a few days before I felt competent, it's like learning to ride a bike all over again. You're right, I don't think it'll ever be completely stable, but every little bit will help. It's great exercise and it's a lot more fun than using a rowing machine indoors! My original thought was riding it to work, but I'm not sure it'll ever be a commuter bike for me. You can't take it fast, lest you have to brake, which is basically a suicide mission if you have to brake hard (your forward inertia causes the handlebars to go forward with you, which of course is a recipe for chaos). It's a very fickle creature, but worth it for the niche experience it offers. Glad I picked mine up for only $600 used. The one I bought was a very early model, it's single speed and has mag wheels instead of spokes.

Last edited by Josh_Champaign; 08-13-18 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Adding thought
Josh_Champaign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 09:33 AM
  #6  
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur
 
cbrstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 424

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Josh_Champaign View Post
Yup, that's the beast (actually, after my Dad tried it, he dubbed it "Lucifer" LMAO). It took me a few days before I felt competent, it's like learning to ride a bike all over again. You're right, I don't think it'll ever be completely stable, but every little bit will help. It's great exercise and it's a lot more fun than using a rowing machine indoors! My original thought was riding it to work, but I'm not sure it'll ever be a commuter bike for me. You can't take it fast, lest you have to brake, which is basically a suicide mission if you have to brake hard (your forward inertia causes the handlebars to go forward with you, which of course is a recipe for chaos). It's a very fickle creature, but worth it for the niche experience it offers. Glad I picked mine up for only $600 used. The one I bought was a very early model, it's single speed and has mag wheels instead of spokes.
It kinda looks like a death trap to me lol. Personally I think this thing should be a three wheel bike. I would have to use it with training wheels!
cbrstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 10:04 AM
  #7  
Josh_Champaign
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cbrstar View Post
It kinda looks like a death trap to me lol. Personally I think this thing should be a three wheel bike. I would have to use it with training wheels!
Ha, yeah, I thought I would need training wheels too and I actually picked up a set at Walmart, but I didn't wind up installing them. Eventually I got rolling well without them. I think the instability creates part of the workout! Having to keep the thing upright! It is, kind of a death trap. LOL
Josh_Champaign is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service