Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Specialized Epic Carbon Road Bike

Old 05-27-20, 03:02 PM
  #1  
kooni
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Epic Carbon Road Bike or 2000 LeMond Tourmalet

Hi guys,
Looking to get a road bike as I plan to do more city biking around the twin cities. Came across an Specialized Epic Carbon bike on the minneapolis craigslist forum, post # 7130531847 (sorry i can't post link or pictures since i'm still a newbie).

Haven't checked it out yet, but it appears to be in "excellent" condition and would fit me as well. Any thoughts on whether $300 is a fair price for the bike? Also any idea what year this bike is? Assume it's an older ('90s?) model but can't be sure. Been reading on these forums that earlier carbon frames with AL lugs had reliability issues. Will check it out to see if I can find any visible cracks, etc.

The other option I was looking at is a 2000 LeMond Tourmalet (minneapolis craigslist post# 7125255865) for around the same price.
Any thoughts on which bike is better for someone looking to get into road biking.

Thanks in advance for your input and apologies for not being able to post the direct link. Looks like I'll have to start getting more active on these forums, which are incredibly helpful by the way !!

Last edited by kooni; 05-27-20 at 03:59 PM.
kooni is offline  
Old 05-27-20, 05:08 PM
  #2  
plonz 
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 2,383
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 117 Posts
I found both and I’d opt for the Lemond. Nice bike that looks like it’s ready to ride. Good price.

I think the Epic is smaller than the the stated 56cm. Looks more like 54 to me. Components do not look as nice as the Ultegra group on the Lemond. Needs a little straightening out in the cockpit as well. Overpriced in my opinion.

The red 60cm Epic is very nice and only $200. Guessing it’s too big for you.
plonz is offline  
Old 05-27-20, 07:12 PM
  #3  
kooni
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz View Post
I found both and Iíd opt for the Lemond. Nice bike that looks like itís ready to ride. Good price.

I think the Epic is smaller than the the stated 56cm. Looks more like 54 to me. Components do not look as nice as the Ultegra group on the Lemond. Needs a little straightening out in the cockpit as well. Overpriced in my opinion.

The red 60cm Epic is very nice and only $200. Guessing itís too big for you.
Thanks plonz. I'll check them both out tomorrow.
Yes looked at that and I think the 60cm Epic would be too big. Appreciate the response!
kooni is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 05:28 AM
  #4  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,660
Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,093 Times in 814 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz View Post
I found both and Iíd opt for the Lemond. Nice bike that looks like itís ready to ride. Good price.

I think the Epic is smaller than the the stated 56cm. Looks more like 54 to me. Components do not look as nice as the Ultegra group on the Lemond. Needs a little straightening out in the cockpit as well. Overpriced in my opinion.

The red 60cm Epic is very nice and only $200. Guessing itís too big for you.
That Tourmalet has Shimano Tiagra, which is two steps down from Ultegra. Though it's a non-drive side photo, the Epic appears to be Shimano 105SC (based on the calipers) which would be one step up from the Tiagra on the Lemond, though a generation earlier. Both bicycles have had adjustable stems installed, possibly along with new handlebars,as they both look very wide. The Epic also has aftermarket brifters (installed too high), as it appears to be a circa 1991-1992 model, when they were equipped with down tube mounted shift levers. Both bicycles have had non-OEM pedals installed for the sale, with the Epic's being very cheap. The Epic does appear to be one size smaller than the Lemond.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 09:03 AM
  #5  
kooni
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
That Tourmalet has Shimano Tiagra, which is two steps down from Ultegra. Though it's a non-drive side photo, the Epic appears to be Shimano 105SC (based on the calipers) which would be one step up from the Tiagra on the Lemond, though a generation earlier. Both bicycles have had adjustable stems installed, possibly along with new handlebars,as they both look very wide. The Epic also has aftermarket brifters (installed too high), as it appears to be a circa 1991-1992 model, when they were equipped with down tube mounted shift levers. Both bicycles have had non-OEM pedals installed for the sale, with the Epic's being very cheap. The Epic does appear to be one size smaller than the Lemond.
Thanks, very helpful feedback particularly on the non-Oem components. Looks like the Epic might not be a good option for various reasons. I'll check out the Lemond and see if I can negotiate.

Thanks guys.
kooni is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 02:00 PM
  #6  
plonz 
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 2,383
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
That Tourmalet has Shimano Tiagra, which is two steps down from Ultegra.
Well guess I screwed that one up. Thought I was looking at Ultegra. Enduring crap from fellow club members for hanging Tiagra on a vintage Lemond would force me to drive the price down!

Ad appears to be gone so someone bought it.
plonz is offline  
Likes For plonz:
Old 05-28-20, 02:28 PM
  #7  
kooni
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz View Post
Well guess I screwed that one up. Thought I was looking at Ultegra. Enduring crap from fellow club members for hanging Tiagra on a vintage Lemond would force me to drive the price down!

Ad appears to be gone so someone bought it.
I ended up buying the Lemond - paid $300. Rode it and it felt solid, shifted well, etc. Maybe could've negotiated a lower price based on the derailleurs being Tiagra.

I hope I like it, nonetheless. Thanks plonz and T-Mar for the feedback.
kooni is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 03:13 PM
  #8  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,660
Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,093 Times in 814 Posts
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Enjoy!
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-28-20, 04:20 PM
  #9  
plonz 
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 2,383
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 117 Posts
Nice score! That bike just looked like it was set up well to me. Ride on
plonz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.