Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Linda Ronstadt, 1978

Reply

Old 02-07-19, 05:05 PM
  #76  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,033

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Jeez, I don't know any of those people. In '78 I was 15 and in Love with my GF Kim. All I listened to was pop music on the radio and R&B on my turntable. Never even heard of the clash until the 90s. I was into Isley brothers, Earth, Wind, and Fire. The Ohio players, brothers Johnson, Commondores, Brick, etc... In '77, '78 the female singers on the radio I just dug there hits like Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Nicollete Larson, etc I never had any of there albums. It wasn't til the '80s and a different GF before I really took notice of female singers like Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Sade, even Madonna. From Dolly "here he comes again" to Madonnas "get into the groove" and every female artist in between I have at least one favorite all time song. I guess I'm really really Cheesy, but I'd put Gladys Knight and Karen Carpenters voice up against any female singer past or present... and for looks SADE.
texaspandj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 06:54 PM
  #77  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: Merz, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, Cinelli SC and more

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Jeez, I don't know any of those people. In '78 I was 15 and in Love with my GF Kim. All I listened to was pop music on the radio and R&B on my turntable. Never even heard of the clash until the 90s. I was into Isley brothers, Earth, Wind, and Fire. The Ohio players, brothers Johnson, Commondores, Brick, etc... In '77, '78 the female singers on the radio I just dug there hits like Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Nicollete Larson, etc I never had any of there albums. It wasn't til the '80s and a different GF before I really took notice of female singers like Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Sade, even Madonna. From Dolly "here he comes again" to Madonnas "get into the groove" and every female artist in between I have at least one favorite all time song. I guess I'm really really Cheesy, but I'd put Gladys Knight and Karen Carpenters voice up against any female singer past or present... and for looks SADE.
Amen brother, love me some Gladys bringin it at the Super Bowl.
merziac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 07:05 PM
  #78  
brian3069 
Senior Member
 
brian3069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,483

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 View Post
London Calling is pretty much my go-to Clash anymore, although the albums have all aged well and most are in at least semi-regular rotation. If you haven't spent any time with Joe Strummer's solo stuff it's well worth a listen, especiallyStreetcore.

Someone around here has the London Calling album cover as their avatar, but I forget who it is.
brian3069 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 10:50 PM
  #79  
RobbieTunes 
Old and in the way
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,148
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Phoebe Snow's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is my choice for my funeral.

Ricky Lee Jones, Suzanne Vega, Aimee Mann, Alanis Morissette, Tracy Chapman, Jewel, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Emmylou etc etc etc.
There's never been a shortage of great female vocalists, but they probably had to work hard to get the same treatment from record companies.
Most of my taste runs to angry women. Such is my life.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-07-19 at 10:53 PM.
RobbieTunes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 01:11 AM
  #80  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 5,179

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
No love for Stevie Nicks?
curbtender is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 04:07 AM
  #81  
FBOATSB 
Senior Member
 
FBOATSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,465

Bikes: Old Schwinns for now

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Janis Joplin
FBOATSB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 07:25 AM
  #82  
clubman 
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,242

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
If this is morphing into a thread about other female vocalists that are up there, I would include Johnette Napolitano.
Thanks for that. Love it when a lives perfomer puts it all out, especially with a song like Everybody Knows.

Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
Janis Joplin
Speaking of putting out...
clubman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 07:31 AM
  #83  
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan
 
Deal4Fuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 884

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '84 Team Fuji, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
If you guys are interested, lots of lady singers including LR and others mentioned here - but also some you may not be familiar with

Torrid Tuesdays, songstresses with the mostest...

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Most of my taste runs to angry women. Such is my life.
Robbie see #66 for younger angry women

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-08-19 at 08:58 AM.
Deal4Fuji is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 08:31 AM
  #84  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,512
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Phoebe Snow's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is my choice for my funeral.
I thought that this song had moved to the coveted #1 spot on Billboard's Top 10 funeral procession/casket carrying list.

seypat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:51 AM
  #85  
dweenk 
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,000

Bikes: 1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
I forgot about Linda after my first date with Chrissie. This song is timeless.

https://youtu.be/radFwHzD-PM
That video reminds of the Apple Lisa commercial of the 1980's.
__________________
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain
dweenk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 02:08 PM
  #86  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,162
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
I concur that the bicycle is a Nishiki and that the photo was taken in a USA based shop. Both are supported by the English language Nishiki warranty plaque on the wall. This appears to be the same warranty included on the back page on the 1978 catalogue, supporting the reported 1978 photo date.

As for the bicycle, it is a 1978 Nishiki Comp, 2nd from the top of the line. The brakeset is clearly not the Dia-Compe Gran Compe used on the top of the line Superbe but the Dia-Compe 500G specified on the Comp and International. However, it does not have the flat crown and 1/2 chromed fork of the International. The sloping crown and 1/5 chromed fork are indicative of a Comp. The low contrast between the chrome and paint suggest the Champagne colour option.

Regarding Ronstadt, I always enjoyed her songs but don't own any. While she has a marvelous voice, I finding her singing lacking in soul. Perhaps this is because when I heard her on the radio she was primarily an interpreter, as opposed to a singer-songwriter. Almost invariably, I prefer the original version, even if technically inferior. This has prevented me from buying her albums and listening to the less commercial album cuts, though I did borrow her What's New album to listen to her performing the old pop standards, which I think better suits her singing.
T-Mar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 03:38 PM
  #87  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
This one is fitting for a C&V thread.
due ruote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 03:52 PM
  #88  
clubman 
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,242

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Now I wanna talk Richard Thompson. I won't.
clubman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 03:59 PM
  #89  
dweenk 
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,000

Bikes: 1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
How about Karen Dalton. She is gone but had a raspy, smokey voice that stays with me.

__________________
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain
dweenk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 04:29 PM
  #90  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,512
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Most of my taste runs to angry women. Such is my life.
If this is the case, maybe you need a shot of The Donnas.

seypat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 04:46 PM
  #91  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Now I wanna talk Richard Thompson. I won't.
Yeah, he was 20 when that album came out. An amazing talent. But male so ‘nuff said for now.
due ruote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 05:18 PM
  #92  
RobbieTunes 
Old and in the way
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,148
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post

Yeah, he was 20 when that album came out. An amazing talent. But male so ‘nuff said for now.
Linda Thompson, now she was angry.
RobbieTunes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 07:03 PM
  #93  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Linda Thompson, now she was angry.
And apparently was pretty good friends with Linda Ronstadt, so we seem to have circled back despite my best efforts.
due ruote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 07:16 PM
  #94  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 6,891

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Suzanne Vega in Germany, so right for a lonely lad learning guitar and trying to finish bike races. I so stole that concert poster!
3speedslow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 08:03 PM
  #95  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,381
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Hope I did this right. Linda with Johnny Cash 1969.

big chainring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 08:35 PM
  #96  
clubman 
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,242

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post

And apparently was pretty good friends with Linda Ronstadt, so we seem to have circled back despite my best efforts.
I'll try again. Siouxsie and the Banshees. Artist and angry singer. 2 fer 1.

clubman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 07:02 AM
  #97  
BigChief 
Senior Member
 
BigChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,757
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Wow, still going. Then I'll chime in too. There's so many great female vocalists. At least half of the ones I can think of are unknown nationally. Between those and the famous greats like Ella Fitzgerald there's this lady that stands out to me. Brilliant musician and excellent singer.

__________________
Inflate Hard
BigChief is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 07:41 AM
  #98  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,620
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Some years ago, this fantastic lady really blew out my music cobwebs.......
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9DtOD1V5cDYkA0UdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dGJkN2o0BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY2MzFfMQRzZWM DcGl2cw--?p=duffy&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee#amp%3Bvid=3b2ce81dde365ba3d5cf0a2eff50bed3&amp%3Baction=view&id=14&vid=3b2ce81dde3 65ba3d5cf0a2eff50bed3&action=view
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9DtOD1V5cDYkA0UdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dGJkN2o0BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY2MzFfMQRzZWM DcGl2cw--?p=duffy&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee#amp%3Bvid=3b2ce81dde365ba3d5cf0a2eff50bed3&amp%3Baction=view&id=4&vid=080f276c85b7 fcdc41fcfbe9316b975b&action=view
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9DtOD1V5cDYkA0UdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dGJkN2o0BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY2MzFfMQRzZWM DcGl2cw--?p=duffy&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee#id=36&vid=aa20835491e26b95deb1eb7a5a6f6b57&action=view
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9DtOD1V5cDYkA0UdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dGJkN2o0BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY2MzFfMQRzZWM DcGl2cw--?p=duffy&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee#amp%3Bvid=3b2ce81dde365ba3d5cf0a2eff50bed3&amp%3Baction=view&id=2&vid=3b719a8170aa c253aab5fcb898b7e5de&action=view
Duffy!......
I was watching all her videos for weeks! She totally slayed me with her classic musical style....and did I say she's so lovely!
__________________
72 Line Seeker
83 Davidson Signature
84 Peugeot PSV
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-09-19 at 08:28 AM.
Chombi1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 11:16 PM
  #99  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,454

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
I concur that the bicycle is a Nishiki and that the photo was taken in a USA based shop. Both are supported by the English language Nishiki warranty plaque on the wall. This appears to be the same warranty included on the back page on the 1978 catalogue, supporting the reported 1978 photo date.

As for the bicycle, it is a 1978 Nishiki Comp, 2nd from the top of the line. The brakeset is clearly not the Dia-Compe Gran Compe used on the top of the line Superbe but the Dia-Compe 500G specified on the Comp and International. However, it does not have the flat crown and 1/2 chromed fork of the International. The sloping crown and 1/5 chromed fork are indicative of a Comp. The low contrast between the chrome and paint suggest the Champagne colour option.

Regarding Ronstadt, I always enjoyed her songs but don't own any. While she has a marvelous voice, I finding her singing lacking in soul. Perhaps this is because when I heard her on the radio she was primarily an interpreter, as opposed to a singer-songwriter. Almost invariably, I prefer the original version, even if technically inferior. This has prevented me from buying her albums and listening to the less commercial album cuts, though I did borrow her What's New album to listen to her performing the old pop standards, which I think better suits her singing.
lacking in soul? I'll leave now.
52telecaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 11:59 PM
  #100  
clubman 
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,242

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
This isn't C&V. I was in the audience and I edited the show elements as well as the broadcast for CBC.
No one sings like this, imo. Leonard was there, we had a party later. omg

clubman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service