Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rust around bottom bracket

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rust around bottom bracket

Old 03-03-21, 08:38 AM
  #1  
b dub 
CL Addict
Thread Starter
 
b dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 992

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Rust around bottom bracket

Iíve been cleaning up this 1983 Nishiki Cresta.

pictures before.




I have soaked the entire frame in Evapo rust for about a day and a half.






Then I dipped just the bottom bracket in a smaller bucket with the Evapo rust for one more night.

This is what it looks now.




What should I do next? Iím not too concerned about the paint since this area will be mostly covered up by the crank. Carefully sand it? What should I apply on the exposed spots?

Last edited by b dub; 03-03-21 at 08:44 AM.
b dub is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 08:51 AM
  #2  
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,958

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 515 Posts
^^^^ It looks like just flaking paint...I would sand off the flaking paint, primer and find a spray color at an automotive parts store and spray away.
Best, Ben
__________________
"STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING"

xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 09:17 AM
  #3  
b dub 
CL Addict
Thread Starter
 
b dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 992

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1 View Post
^^^^ It looks like just flaking paint...I would sand off the flaking paint, primer and find a spray color at an automotive parts store and spray away.
Best, Ben
Thank you!!! I'm on it.
__________________
'50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta -
'84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30
b dub is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 09:20 AM
  #4  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 10,580

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 749 Times in 462 Posts
Were I faced with the situation, I would clean/sand the offending areas and then apply nail polish in as close a match as I could find(brush is included in the polish bottle). That should do a bit to satisfy the eye and to protect against oxidation.

There are times, of course, when more attention should be paid, not just to the outside, but also to the inside...
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 09:41 AM
  #5  
Johno59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 692

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 114 Posts
Remove flakes first

You should wire brush all the loose paint / rust off before you apply evaporust. If left too long evaporust will attack the paint. Follow the instructions on the tin. Many suppliers claim a primer isn't needed but I seriously have doubts about that.
Johno59 is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 10:25 AM
  #6  
oneclick 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 336 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
There are times, of course, when more attention should be paid, not just to the outside, but also to the inside...
The mouse I found *was* inside - in a frame I bought the seat had been out and it (long since dead) fell out the bb shell after the axle came out.
oneclick is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 10:40 AM
  #7  
Spaghetti Legs 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,104

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 346 Posts
I, too, would have removed the bubbled chipped paint before the evaporust treatment. At this point though, it still looks good, and just finish the job as recommended above. This is a great example for people who are afraid of buying a steel bike because it will apparently rust away to dust. Your bike is 38 years old and has many years of good life in front of it. I like the bath tub!
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, Ď85 Pinarello Record, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur
Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 10:51 AM
  #8  
b dub 
CL Addict
Thread Starter
 
b dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 992

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59 View Post
You should wire brush all the loose paint / rust off before you apply evaporust. If left too long evaporust will attack the paint. Follow the instructions on the tin. Many suppliers claim a primer isn't needed but I seriously have doubts about that.
I thought I followed the instructions but I guess I didn't.
I will remove the flakes, sand it, then just dip it in Evapo rust again.
__________________
'50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta -
'84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30
b dub is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 10:59 AM
  #9  
AJI125 
Senior Member
 
AJI125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Denver Metro, CO
Posts: 257

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613 | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires | 2002 LeMond Zurich Women's (SO's)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by b dub View Post
I thought I followed the instructions but I guess I didn't.
I will remove the flakes, sand it, then just dip it in Evapo rust again.
Good plan. After a few hours soak, remove and maybe scrub with like a nylon brush to remove any loose black Evaporust stuff. I found I needed multiple soaks/treatments for some pitting, as the black surface coating seemed to slow/stop the reaction and it didn't really remove all the rust. I soaked overnight on each tube and found the remaining rust pits when I was done soaking. At that point I just used Naval Jelly in several applications to get the rest off.
If you don't care about color match, I used some black rust reformer primer. I could only find in spray, so I sprayed into a small glass jar to use for brushing on. Seemed to work ok, put on several light coats then sanded after a couple days drying time. Took the sanding like a champ. Then I top coated with some Duplicolor lacquer touch up paint that was a close match, but that stuff already flaked/chipped in spots as others have experienced too.
AJI125 is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 11:03 AM
  #10  
b dub 
CL Addict
Thread Starter
 
b dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 992

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125 View Post
Good plan. After a few hours soak, remove and maybe scrub with like a nylon brush to remove any loose black Evaporust stuff. I found I needed multiple soaks/treatments for some pitting, as the black surface coating seemed to slow/stop the reaction and it didn't really remove all the rust. I soaked overnight on each tube and found the remaining rust pits when I was done soaking. At that point I just used Naval Jelly in several applications to get the rest off.
If you don't care about color match, I used some black rust reformer primer. I could only find in spray, so I sprayed into a small glass jar to use for brushing on. Seemed to work ok, put on several light coats then sanded after a couple days drying time. Took the sanding like a champ. Then I top coated with some Duplicolor lacquer touch up paint that was a close match, but that stuff already flaked/chipped in spots as others have experienced too.
Just another example why I love this forum. Thanks for your suggestions. I will report a follow up shortly.
__________________
'50s Leon Cattrysse - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta -
'84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirrus - '88 Trek 2000 - '92 Schwinn Paramount Series 30
b dub is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.