Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 10-18-23, 06:11 PM
  #2751  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 6,146
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
Bonus points for the reg plate.
madpogue is offline  
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-18-23, 08:59 PM
  #2752  
Full Member
 
tjfastback66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 301

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts

1981 Univega Specialissima - restored. Craig's find 10 miles from my home with an asking price of $45.00. The ride is AMAZING!
tjfastback66 is offline  
Old 10-18-23, 11:28 PM
  #2753  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Work in progress. Got this earlier this year. Pulled off dead Schwalbe Marathons and put on 35mm Panaracers. Overhauled the cantilevers. Changing out bars to Nitto 177 next. While a custom for the prior owner, it was odd that no front fork bosses were on it, nor was the fork crown drilled. Frustrating. I may get a different fork with all the stuff already on it, like a Cross Check fork. Work in progress....

Nice Nitto rear rack

Fork, no bosses to be found......
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Old 10-18-23, 11:48 PM
  #2754  
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,922

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Oh man. Is it getting hot in here, or is it just me?
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 10-19-23, 12:00 AM
  #2755  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Work in progress. Got this earlier this year. Pulled off dead Schwalbe Marathons and put on 35mm Panaracers. Overhauled the cantilevers. Changing out bars to Nitto 177 next. While a custom for the prior owner, it was odd that no front fork bosses were on it, nor was the fork crown drilled. Frustrating. I may get a different fork with all the stuff already on it, like a Cross Check fork. Work in progress....
I've never done such a thing so not sure what the cost difference between buying a new fork and getting the current fork drilled would be? If it were me I'd do that before throwing a different fork on, this bike seems worth it. I'd also probably get the mid fork bosses added and have the fork repainted (looks like just black?).
polymorphself is offline  
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 10-19-23, 12:04 AM
  #2756  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I've never done such a thing so not sure what the cost difference between buying a new fork and getting the current fork drilled would be? If it were me I'd do that before throwing a different fork on, this bike seems worth it. I'd also probably get the mid fork bosses added and have the fork repainted (looks like just black?).
Yes, all those considerations in play. I have a drill press, no problem there. But adding bosses correctly then repainting adds up to a new fork or more. Also could use a slightly taller steerer, so that comes into play as well.
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 10-19-23, 12:05 AM
  #2757  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Oh man. Is it getting hot in here, or is it just me?
Fun to see all the cool steel. Good weather the next two days, you can cool off on a ride!
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 10-19-23, 12:13 AM
  #2758  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,026

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I've never done such a thing so not sure what the cost difference between buying a new fork and getting the current fork drilled would be? If it were me I'd do that before throwing a different fork on, this bike seems worth it. I'd also probably get the mid fork bosses added and have the fork repainted (looks like just black?).
This, no way I would ever sully the Mercian with a Surly fork.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-19-23, 12:28 AM
  #2759  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
This, no way I would ever sully the Mercian with a Surly fork.
I certainly get that! Drilling the one I have will get me a small front rack using p clamps at the fork. That will likely be enough for how I ride. And I looked and think it might have been a Soma CX fork that has low rider front mounts. Gugie is brazing up a Fuji S12S LTD with front bosses, extra water bottle bosses, etc. He could easily do the work if a repaint does not look too bad. I think this frame was powder coated. I am going to pull the serial number and see what the build was from Mercian. I don't like to do mods without knowing what I have to start with.
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 10-19-23, 12:35 AM
  #2760  
Senior Member
 
Dfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,989

Bikes: Ď87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, Ď79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I don't know how well this bike will behave with that much of a front load. That box on there now holds a lot of stuff, and with more than a few pounds in it, slow speed handling needs a firm grip.
Roger,
You might want to find time for a visit to @gugieís Atelier in Beaverton along with your Expedition. A bit more rake to that fork, so lower trail, might provide big improvements in front load handling. He did that to the front fork of my Ď79 Miyata 912, not a touring bike by quite a stretch, and it now does very well with any sort of front load, everything from just the basically empty big rando front bag, up to that bag full plus low rider panniers - even on a very windy day!

Before his changes (but after other updates over the decades):


After Gugificazione! when he added 8mm more rake (and a bunch of other improvements working with just the fork)
Dfrost is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 08:52 AM
  #2761  
Bike Butcher of Portland
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,630

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
I certainly get that! Drilling the one I have will get me a small front rack using p clamps at the fork. That will likely be enough for how I ride. And I looked and think it might have been a Soma CX fork that has low rider front mounts. Gugie is brazing up a Fuji S12S LTD with front bosses, extra water bottle bosses, etc. He could easily do the work if a repaint does not look too bad. I think this frame was powder coated. I am going to pull the serial number and see what the build was from Mercian. I don't like to do mods without knowing what I have to start with.
If itís glossy black powder coat, match is easy. Braze on rack bossed plus powder coat might be cheaper thsn a new off the shelf fork. If you want your bars higher, get a taller stem. A longer fork and spacers with ghe same strm might bring the stem expander up in the threaded area.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Likes For gugie:
Old 10-19-23, 09:56 AM
  #2762  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If itís glossy black powder coat, match is easy. Braze on rack bossed plus powder coat might be cheaper thsn a new off the shelf fork. If you want your bars higher, get a taller stem. A longer fork and spacers with ghe same strm might bring the stem expander up in the threaded area.
Argh! It's a threadless modern fork. Everything else I have has quill stems, but not this one. I ride with bars fairly high up ( back problems) so I am sort of in a corner. I am going to change over the bar set I prefer first and see where that lands me, then go from there. I think the Soma fork was around $160 and had a 350mm steerer. The steerer on the Mercian looks to be around 300mm or just a little more. Anyway, i have 2 other bikes that are rolling for now, this one can wait a bit until I sort it out.
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 10:23 AM
  #2763  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,604

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10946 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Yes, all those considerations in play. I have a drill press, no problem there. But adding bosses correctly then repainting adds up to a new fork or more. Also could use a slightly taller steerer, so that comes into play as well.
Not sure what the axle to crown measurement is for the current fork, or what the rake is, but here are some possible options that vary in both numbers. Maybe one is close enough to be a good match?

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/new...ory=774#attr=5 $170. 50mm rake, 390mm axle to crown, low ride rack mounts, fits up to 42mm tire. Black.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...=774#attr=2512 $170. 44mm rake, 389mm axle to crown, low ride rack mounts and mini rack mounts, fits up to 40mm tire. Chrome.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/232...gory=774#attr= $170. 44mm rake, 389mm axle to crown, low ride rack mounts and mini rack mounts, fits up to 40mm tire. Black.
https://blackmtncycles.com/shop/bike...er-cross-fork/ $175. 55mm offset, 400mm axle to crown, mid-blade rack mount, fits up to 48mm tire. Black. And a cool PBP fork crown.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 10:27 AM
  #2764  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Not sure what the axle to crown measurement is for the current fork, or what the rake is, but here are some possible options that vary in both numbers. Maybe one is close enough to be a good match?

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/new...ory=774#attr=5 $170. 50mm rake, 390mm axle to crown, low ride rack mounts, fits up to 42mm tire. Black.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...=774#attr=2512 $170. 44mm rake, 389mm axle to crown, low ride rack mounts and mini rack mounts, fits up to 40mm tire. Chrome.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/232...gory=774#attr= $170. 44mm rake, 389mm axle to crown, low ride rack mounts and mini rack mounts, fits up to 40mm tire. Black.
https://blackmtncycles.com/shop/bike...er-cross-fork/ $175. 55mm offset, 400mm axle to crown, mid-blade rack mount, fits up to 48mm tire. Black. And a cool PBP fork crown.
The Soma CX classic curve is the one I was looking at. I don't know much about New Albion products
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 10:38 AM
  #2765  
Iím a little Surly
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the district
Posts: 2,422

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Yes, all those considerations in play. I have a drill press, no problem there. But adding bosses correctly then repainting adds up to a new fork or more. Also could use a slightly taller steerer, so that comes into play as well.
you could drill the crown then just use a big HB bag
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 10:41 AM
  #2766  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
you could drill the crown then just use a big HB bag
That is my starting point on this one. "First do no harm" then go from there. I really do prefer front loading. On the tours I did I used front low riders and the handling was fine, plus the dampening of the steering vibration really made the hands happier. This is far to nice a bike to muck up in the wrong way so being careful
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 10:57 AM
  #2767  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,604

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10946 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
The Soma CX classic curve is the one I was looking at. I don't know much about New Albion products
New Albion is just a private brand of Soma's. New Albion frames use Tange Infinity tubing and cost a little less than the Soma frames.
Most of Soma's forks use Infinity blades, and the New Albion fork just uses an unbranded blade.

The fork I built in a class used .9mm Columbus Cromor blades- basically as basic as branded tubing gets nowadays, and it built into a quality fork that is a good mix of weight and stiffness. A Columbus SL fork blade has the same shape, taper, etc even though its a 'higher' tubing.
Just something to consider.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 06:05 PM
  #2768  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Near Pottstown, PA: 30 miles NW of Philadelphia
Posts: 2,184

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
So many great looking touring bikes here. I've been enjoying this thread for years. Here's a current photo of my old lump. No where as nice looking as most of the bikes here but she's a worker, and a good ole pal. This bike has carried me and all my junk, for over 700 miles of fully loaded tours. And it has just played along on uncounted local adventures and cardio rides, like this morning's 20 miles in lovely fall weather. The Mule holds its own next to all my other, and often "nicer" bikes.

Along the SRT next to one of the dredging project settling basins, from days of yore
Prowler is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 06:42 PM
  #2769  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
So many great looking touring bikes here. I've been enjoying this thread for years. Here's a current photo of my old lump. No where as nice looking as most of the bikes here but she's a worker, and a good ole pal. This bike has carried me and all my junk, for over 700 miles of fully loaded tours. And it has just played along on uncounted local adventures and cardio rides, like this morning's 20 miles in lovely fall weather. The Mule holds its own next to all my other, and often "nicer" bikes.

Along the SRT next to one of the dredging project settling basins, from days of yore
Yep. The best bike is the one you ride.
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 10-19-23, 07:10 PM
  #2770  
Groupetto Dragon-Ass
 
Chuckk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lostin Austin, TX
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 367 Posts
~89 Davidson Discovery - sport tourer
Mostly assembled by Austin's Eurosport Cycle (except the stem and saddle) back then with a Deore drive train and 105 other.

Chuckk is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 08:52 PM
  #2771  
Full Member
 
cinelliguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redwood City CA
Posts: 299

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 132 Posts
1976 Masi GS, California. Two owners. Carridice bags front and rear. 242 miles in the t


hree day tour from Redwood City on Monday October 17th. Day 1, Redwood City to Pebble Beach (102m/7.5K), Day 2, Pebble Beach to Cambria (102m/7.7K), Day 3, Cambria to San Luis Obisbo (39m/1.4K), load the bikes on Amtrak, ride to San Jose, and then I took CalTrain back to Redwood City. Epic tour with my good buddy and amazingly talented person Chris Anderson. Just such a great time.
cinelliguy is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 11:02 PM
  #2772  
Bike Butcher of Portland
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,630

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Argh! It's a threadless modern fork. Everything else I have has quill stems, but not this one. I ride with bars fairly high up ( back problems) so I am sort of in a corner. I am going to change over the bar set I prefer first and see where that lands me, then go from there. I think the Soma fork was around $160 and had a 350mm steerer. The steerer on the Mercian looks to be around 300mm or just a little more. Anyway, i have 2 other bikes that are rolling for now, this one can wait a bit until I sort it out.
Oof! I'd agree then that a new fork might be your best bet.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 10-19-23, 11:11 PM
  #2773  
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 1,420

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts

Fuji Gran Tourer SE that was powder coated yellow, not a stock color. Clocked lots of miles
__________________
"It's a fine line between absolute genius and sheer stupidity"
etherhuffer is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 06:31 AM
  #2774  
Junior Member
 
Small cog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Wessex UK
Posts: 101

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 55 Posts
I had been on the look out for a Raleigh Royal or Randonneur from the 1990s with Reynolds 708 tubing for sometime when a one owner model in the right size came up on Ebay a couple of years ago, the problem was it was 150 miles away and the seller did not offer postage so I got on the train with my panniers and camping gear and rode it (most of) the way back, I neglected to pack a Brooks saddle and the standard one got the better of me in Oxford where I got on the train.



Apart from the saddle I dislike drop bar so I changed both and took it for a weekend tour of North Devon which showed me what a nice bike it was to ride with or without a load.



I liked it so much I stripped it down, repsrayed the frame with aerosols and badged it as an RRA the tourist model of which was Raleigh's top of the range tourer 50 year previously to this one. I also fitted a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub and replaced most of the parts with Velo Orange which I find to be nice quality with a vintage vibe to them.
All was well until six months ago I was rear ended by a car while cycling down to the supermarket denting the top tube and damaging a few other parts, the driver's insurance paid out for the damage and it went off to Argo cycles in Bristol for a new top tube and a professional respray, while they were at it I got them to replace the vertical rear dropouts with horizontal dispensing with the need for a chain tensioner and add another bottle carrier to the bottom of the downtube, they did a great job and it is back together now although it is a bit too chilly now for longer tours so I am looking forward to next summer.

Small cog is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 09:16 AM
  #2775  
Pedal to the medal
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Arsenal of Democracy
Posts: 1,223

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
Goodness, glad you're okay! Lovely bike, interesting to switch to horizontal dropout, makes sense given your needs. I'm wondering about your rear rack. I see it's attached at the dropouts, is there a third attachment point? Otherwise, I'm wondering how the rack doesn't move when loaded up?
romperrr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.