Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

All Things FUJI

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

All Things FUJI

Old 07-24-18, 09:27 AM
  #826  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,782

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,754 Times in 1,279 Posts
Donkey? That's a new one. Also known as Turkey, Suicide...I believe the correct term is safety levers.
curbtender is offline  
Old 07-29-18, 06:53 PM
  #827  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1973 Special Road Racer that I am in the middle of updating. I have essentially torn it down to the frame, and am rebuilding it with modern Shimano 105 components. Essentially just posting this to work on getting to my 10 posts so I can make a thread about it and show some pictures, as well as get some ideas from the forum.
obrienwspt is offline  
Old 08-02-18, 10:59 PM
  #828  
Junior Member
 
C0nejit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked up this nice Fuji today ... Already put in a lot of work elbow grease to get some of the rust of the frame

Last edited by C0nejit09; 08-02-18 at 11:04 PM.
C0nejit09 is offline  
Old 08-04-18, 07:35 PM
  #829  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,799

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 5,339 Times in 1,856 Posts
Here's a quick shot of my latest pickup . A 1986 Team Fuji that looks to be in great shape. I'm getting ready right now to clean it up and go over it. Once I do I'll start an individual thread with detailed pictures and all. Right now with all the extra stuff this thing weighs 25 lbs 15 ozs. That's 3 1/2 lbs more than my 1985 Opus III....




Just as I bought it, flat tires and all. <br/>



UPDATE: Spent the first half of the soccer game pulling off the extra crap, funky saddle, and the old computer stuff (which works!). It's now a more proper 23 lbs 12 ozs. I wonder it I'll get it under 23 lbs once I throw on some modern Veloflex Master tires and latex tubes? Under a light coat of grime the bike is remarkable clean. Doesn't look to have seen much use.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.

Last edited by jamesdak; 08-04-18 at 09:32 PM.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-05-18, 04:43 PM
  #830  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 388

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
My 1985 Club Fuji I picked up a few weeks ago. The Quad VALite tubing definitely has a unique feel to it.



casanewt is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 07:40 PM
  #831  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,799

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 5,339 Times in 1,856 Posts
Thought I'd repost this now that I've got it done. As seen it's a respectable 22 lbs 10 ozs and are really nice ride.








__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-05-18, 08:00 PM
  #832  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 388

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Thought I'd repost this now that I've got it done. As seen it's a respectable 22 lbs 10 ozs and are really nice ride.
Show quality! Absolutely gorgeous.
casanewt is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 02:13 PM
  #833  
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@jamesdak The colors and flawless nature of that build are exceptional.

Here are my pair of Fujis. I took the '89 Ace out for a fast 30 miles on Wed. and the '78 Newest for a quick 22 miles yesterday.


Untitled by irishbx4th, on Flickr


Untitled by irishbx4th, on Flickr
greg3rd48 is offline  
Old 09-08-18, 08:43 AM
  #834  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 41

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Varsity - Sold, 6KU Aluminum Track - Daily, 1982(?) Japanese Schwinn Le Tour - SS Conversion, 1998 Trek 470 - Build up, 2009 Felt F75Varsity - Sold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my 1983 Fuji Team Fuji. Updating to Dia Compe Aero levers, since hoods are sticky. Rides perfect.
Nu_ Schwinn is offline  
Old 09-09-18, 07:08 PM
  #835  
Junior Member
 
C0nejit09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C0nejit09

Picked up this nice Fuji today ... Already put in a lot of work elbow grease to get some of the rust of the frame





Here is my updated guys all done and ready to ride
C0nejit09 is offline  
Old 09-10-18, 08:42 AM
  #836  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 388

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by C0nejit09
Here is my updated guys all done and ready to ride
I love seeing old bikes saved. Good on you man.
casanewt is offline  
Old 09-17-18, 08:03 PM
  #837  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Fuji Fork Crown Differences

How many fork crown styles did Fuji have from the 1970s - 1980s?

The most common one you see is the one with the pointy bit that points down the fork blade. I have seen this from the lowest end models all the way up to the "Finest".
THe "Newest" seems to have a concave fork crown which is different and seems specific to that model.

I have see some "Finest" models with an even different fork crown. I am not sure how to describe it other than having a small window in it or a slit. There is one shown here in this thread: 1972 Fuji Finest

I dont think this style fork crown was specific to 1972. I have seen other 1972s with the normal fork crown you see on all fujis. I "think" the forks are a bit skinnier at the crown on this style fork as well

Perhaps they switched from this style to the more common style you see on all fujis in 1972?
scale is offline  
Old 09-18-18, 01:26 AM
  #838  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 171

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I built this Gran Tourer SE Mixte for my little sister:

It has numerous upgrades including 6-speed Shimano SIS shifting to replace the original Suntour friction shifting. The polyurethane paint and decals are new and were done by me.
taguy4 is offline  
Old 09-18-18, 05:55 AM
  #839  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 687

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
'83 Supreme

After a 20 year hiatus, this is my first entry back to the bikes I grew up with. Still a work in progress, I am on it barefoot a lot, so I switched out the rattraps for comfort pedals. Added a rack and new tires. it has been a fine ride so far.

kross57 is offline  
Old 09-18-18, 10:20 AM
  #840  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
...I have see some "Finest" models with an even different fork crown. I am not sure how to describe it other than having a small window in it or a slit. There is one shown here in this thread: 1972 Fuji Finest

I dont think this style fork crown was specific to 1972. I have seen other 1972s with the normal fork crown you see on all fujis. I "think" the forks are a bit skinnier at the crown on this style fork as well

Perhaps they switched from this style to the more common style you see on all fujis in 1972?
The subject fork crown appears to be a modified Ishiwata 512 track crown. It was also used on the 1970s Fuji Track models (Track TR, Track TRS, Intermediate Track). The "skinnier" front to back dimension of the blade at the crown would be typical of a round track blade and it was also to appears to have larger side to side dimension. The blade looks round or close to it.

However, it is definitely an OEM fork based on the "road" rake and it's appearance on the Finest in the 1971 catalogue. For 1972 the Finest was catalogued with a conventional road fork, having oval blades and the ubiquitous crown (Ishiwata 503?) that it used until receiving a fully sloping integral crown in the very late 1970s.


T-Mar is offline  
Old 09-18-18, 12:40 PM
  #841  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject fork crown appears to be a modified Ishiwata 512 track crown. It was also used on the 1970s Fuji Track models (Track TR, Track TRS, Intermediate Track). The "skinnier" front to back dimension of the blade at the crown would be typical of a round track blade and it was also to appears to have larger side to side dimension. The blade looks round or close to it.

However, it is definitely an OEM fork based on the "road" rake and it's appearance on the Finest in the 1971 catalogue. For 1972 the Finest was catalogued with a conventional road fork, having oval blades and the ubiquitous crown (Ishiwata 503?) that it used until receiving a fully sloping integral crown in the very late 1970s.
Interesting....so they did show up in 1971 but moved to the traditional crown in 1972. I wonder why? I have never ridden a pre-72 to know how this fork crown/blades handled. I wonder if there was a reason they switched it or if it was a cost cutting measure by just deciding it was cheaper to make them all the same.
scale is offline  
Old 10-28-18, 04:21 PM
  #842  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Dropouts.

They must have sourced their dropouts from different sources in the bike boom era
In the lower end models (Sports, Gran Tourer, Etc) I have see the same model and similar year Fujis have SUNTOUR stamped in both the front and rear drops that you can see which kind of wrap around the axle.
I have seen no name fronts and suntour rears and visa versa.
I have see some strange fronts that i cant tell what they say. LSRnBND or somthing like that. Very hard to make out.

Quality speaking all the rears (suntour or not) were that strange Fuji half thick forged drop out ....which isnt stamped but it isnt a full thick dropout either.

I always thought this was odd.
scale is offline  
Old 10-28-18, 04:38 PM
  #843  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
Dropouts.

They must have sourced their dropouts from different sources in the bike boom era
In the lower end models (Sports, Gran Tourer, Etc) I have see the same model and similar year Fujis have SUNTOUR stamped in both the front and rear drops that you can see which kind of wrap around the axle.
I have seen no name fronts and suntour rears and visa versa.
I have see some strange fronts that i cant tell what they say. LSRnBND or somthing like that. Very hard to make out.

Quality speaking all the rears (suntour or not) were that strange Fuji half thick forged drop out ....which isnt stamped but it isnt a full thick dropout either.

I always thought this was odd.
That 'LSRnBND' is almost certainly a poorly stamped ' I.S. Rib End', an Ishiwata dropout used by Fuji (see pic)

Dropouts on road bicycles typically vary from about 4-7mm thickess. ATB dropouts can be even thicker.


Last edited by T-Mar; 10-28-18 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added pic
T-Mar is offline  
Old 10-28-18, 04:40 PM
  #844  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That 'LSRnBND' is almost certainly' I.S. Rib End', an Ishiwata dropout.

Dropouts on road bicycles typically vary from about 4-7mm thickess. ATB droputs can be even thicker.
' I.S. Rib End'........yup....thats it. Interesting. Thanks for the info.
scale is offline  
Old 11-05-18, 12:14 PM
  #845  
Photographer
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,117
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
How many fork crown styles did Fuji have from the 1970s - 1980s?

The most common one you see is the one with the pointy bit that points down the fork blade. I have seen this from the lowest end models all the way up to the "Finest".
THe "Newest" seems to have a concave fork crown which is different and seems specific to that model.

I have see some "Finest" models with an even different fork crown. I am not sure how to describe it other than having a small window in it or a slit. There is one shown here in this thread: 1972 Fuji Finest

I dont think this style fork crown was specific to 1972. I have seen other 1972s with the normal fork crown you see on all fujis. I "think" the forks are a bit skinnier at the crown on this style fork as well

Perhaps they switched from this style to the more common style you see on all fujis in 1972?

I'm a little late joining this party but here's the crown of my 1972 Finest.

__________________
ClassicFuji.posthaven.com.archive

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art
























ScottRyder is offline  
Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 11-05-18, 12:38 PM
  #846  
Photographer
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,117
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Here's another example of the fork on the 1974 Pursuit Track bike that was featured in the book: Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan.


__________________
ClassicFuji.posthaven.com.archive

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art
























ScottRyder is offline  
Old 11-05-18, 12:54 PM
  #847  
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,885

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@ScottRyder I am thoroughly enjoying the book Scott. It is a feast for the eyes and brain.
greg3rd48 is offline  
Old 11-05-18, 12:58 PM
  #848  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
Here's another example of the fork on the 1974 Pursuit Track bike that was featured in the book: Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan.



WOW! Those brakes and that headset are about the best thing i have ever seen. Very nice!
scale is offline  
Old 11-05-18, 01:04 PM
  #849  
Photographer
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,117
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@ScottRyder I am thoroughly enjoying the book Scott. It is a feast for the eyes and brain.

I haven't got my copy yet. : (

Know anybody in high places?

Scott
__________________
ClassicFuji.posthaven.com.archive

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art
























ScottRyder is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 08:02 AM
  #850  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Posts: 308

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Posted this in the single speed/fixed thread a few weeks back but forgot about the Fuji thread. Earned the frame through volunteer hours at the co-op and built it up from there. My first single speed, really loving the whole experience. It's a Special Road Racer.


Fuji special road racer single speed by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
PugRider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.