Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dog attack on the bike path.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dog attack on the bike path.

Old 07-20-16, 07:23 AM
  #1  
dramiscram
ouate de phoque
Thread Starter
 
dramiscram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: La Prairie, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog attack on the bike path.

Sorry but the article is in french:Attaque de trois cyclistes: «Rocky» en quarantaine | Marie-Élise Faucher | Actualités


The dog was tied to his doghouse and his chain was long enough so he could come within few inches of the bike path. this was an accident waiting to happen
I feel some guilt about this because I saw this dog almost every morning for the last few months and I got used to it, He kept barking after each cyclist and once in a while he would jump just to be stopped by his chain. It looked like a young playful dog but I once tought : if this dog ever break his collar or chain he might do some damage even if he just want to `play`. But I never did anything about it, nobody never did anything about it and yesterday he attacked 3 cyclists, injuring one very seriously on one leg.

The neighbours are saying that the dog was very gentle and friendly...
dramiscram is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 07:53 AM
  #2  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,160

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
The neighbours are saying that the dog was very gentle and friendly...
The owners always say that about their dogs.

I've seen some dogs unleashed on MUP's and I am always annoyed by this. There are very strict by-laws regarding pets in public places such as parks and MUP's here. It's a very hefty fine if they were caught.
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 07:56 AM
  #3  
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,900

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Add these to the list of famous last words: "He's friendly. He won't bite."
tarwheel is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 08:21 AM
  #4  
deapee
Ride On!
 
deapee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 971

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It irks me to no end when I see carelessness with dogs...especially people that think it's ok to walk their dogs without leashes.

I've owned a few dogs including a great dane (family dog) and a boxer (my dog) -- they are both considered tough dogs, but were both raised so well that I probably could have walked them without a leash, and I did when we were out in the mountains and on private land...but when another person could be around, there is absolutely no way I would have walked them without a leash. Animals are animals...and they will react, whether playfully or defensively, and people can and will get hurt. Period.
deapee is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 08:47 AM
  #5  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,364

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,670 Posts
I haven't decided whether to speak with negligent dog owners on the MUP yet. I've been video recording some recent rides just to get a better sense of whether the problem is really that frequent, or whether it's bias confirmation. It might be better to just edit down the videos to short snippets and send 'em to the MUP management, or post 'em to the social media wall of shame.

Without reviewing my videos, I'd guesstimate half the dog owners are careful to keep their pets on short leashes or appropriate leash length for the conditions. If they're walking the paved path, they keep their dogs on very short leashes. On the wider gravel path, a little more free leash. On the grassy areas well away from the paths, they use those retractable leashes and let out more play. Seems appropriate.

Maybe 30% use retractable leashes willy nilly with the dogs having free rein, regardless of conditions. So the dogs aren't really controlled at all. And, worse, the full extended leashes present a tripping/tangling hazard for other MUP users.

And around 20% let their dogs roam freely. Of those, they're divided into to basic categories:
  1. The mindful dog owners who clearly have some dog obedience training, and are using the grassy areas near the MUP to reinforce good behavior habits.
  2. The completely clueless dog owners who moan ineffectual pleas at their dogs: "Oh, now, Rover/Spot/Turdbucket, pleeeeze don't jump on the nice man/jogger/children/other dogs!"

It's about the same on the rural roads I occasionally ride for exercise. About half the dogs are behind fences or invisible fences. Half roam freely. Of the free range dogs, the biggest problem I've had is dogs thinking they're parade leaders and I'm supposed to follow them. But the dogs will change speeds, dart around or suddenly stop in front of me. While I don't consider them aggressive, the fact is that normally "good" dogs can turn violent unpredictably so I never relax around them.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-20-16 at 08:50 AM.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 11:04 AM
  #6  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,747

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 717 Posts
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
BobbyG is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 04:11 PM
  #7  
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 339

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
Add these to the list of famous last words: "He's friendly. He won't bite."
Tarwheel you have the right idea but it owners usually say this right after their dog bites you,"He/ she has never done that before!"
2 Piece is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 04:24 PM
  #8  
revcp 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,290

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee View Post
It irks me to no end when I see carelessness with dogs...especially people that think it's ok to walk their dogs without leashes.

I've owned a few dogs including a great dane (family dog) and a boxer (my dog) -- they are both considered tough dogs, but were both raised so well that I probably could have walked them without a leash, and I did when we were out in the mountains and on private land...but when another person could be around, there is absolutely no way I would have walked them without a leash. Animals are animals...and they will react, whether playfully or defensively, and people can and will get hurt. Period.
I much prefer dogs on no leash than dogs on those 300 yard retractable leashes. A dog I can usually avoid. Their human I can usually avoid. Most difficult is when the two of them are yards apart with a leash between them.
__________________
Don't complain about the weather and cower in fear. It's all good weather. Just different.
revcp is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 07:37 PM
  #9  
ThomasMcA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Central Michigan
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
It looked like a young playful dog but I once tought : if this dog ever break his collar or chain he might do some damage even if he just want to `play`. But I never did anything about it, nobody never did anything about it and yesterday he attacked 3 cyclists, injuring one very seriously on one leg.

The neighbours are saying that the dog was very gentle and friendly...
The cycling advocacy group for my state recommends carrying pepper spray. I have a small can of it velcro'd to my top tube.
ThomasMcA is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 08:28 AM
  #10  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously no dog owners in this thread....

(deepea is the exception of course.)

Seriously guys. Most dogs aren't out to kill you. If they were you wouldn't hear them. Just treat them like honking cars. Ignore and more on.

If you honestly think a frame pump will stop a large dog intent on biting you, then you're delusional.

Anything other than a large dog is a joke. You, as a 150+ lb person, can't protect yourself from a 20-40 pound dog? Really?
corrado33 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 08:53 AM
  #11  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,364

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,670 Posts
"You, as a 150+ lb person, can't protect yourself from a 20-40 pound dog? Really?"
Seems like we've had this conversation before and it never sinks in.

There are more people out there than fit and nimble cyclists and joggers. Some folks on our local MUP are elderly, walking with canes. I've seen some in walkers and wheelchairs on the wider paved portions nearest the condo complexes and senior living centers.

Relative size and weight are irrelevant. A 150 lb person could easily trip over a free-range chihuahua and be seriously injured.

Dog owners are responsible for their pets. It isn't up to everyone else to be battle ready for a walk or ride in the park.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 09:05 AM
  #12  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Seems like we've had this conversation before and it never sinks in.

There are more people out there than fit and nimble cyclists and joggers. Some folks on our local MUP are elderly, walking with canes. I've seen some in walkers and wheelchairs on the wider paved portions nearest the condo complexes and senior living centers.

Relative size and weight are irrelevant. A 150 lb person could easily trip over a free-range chihuahua and be seriously injured.

Dog owners are responsible for their pets. It isn't up to everyone else to be battle ready for a walk or ride in the park.
It sure seems like everybody in this thread is.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 09:16 AM
  #13  
NYMXer
Senior Member
 
NYMXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 1,495

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
No matter how you break this down, it is the dog owners responsibility to control their animal. Allowing the lead to get the dog within "inches" of a MUP trail just antagonized the dog until eventually it breaks free and attacks the first pedestrian on the trail out of frustration.
That owner should have moved the dog away from the trail long ago, but while it's too late now, maybe others will learn from this.
I own a GSD, who is very approachable and friendly but I would never want to test that theory after she was barking at possibly hundreds of people a day for years.
NYMXer is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 10:34 AM
  #14  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 850 Posts
Le Dog Catcher on your speed dial?
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 11:32 AM
  #15  
ThomasMcA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Central Michigan
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
It's illegal for a lot of people to carry pepper spray. I'm not allowed to on campus..
So make your own: Homemade pepper spray
ThomasMcA is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 12:35 PM
  #16  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,344

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
It sure seems like everybody in this thread is.
After my three encounters, I'm ready.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 02:01 PM
  #17  
Mr IGH
afraid of whales
 
Mr IGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 4,306
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I choose to carry more substantial protection than pepper spray. Dogs, mountain lions, bears and two legged predators are all part of our MUP eco-system out here.
Mr IGH is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 01:59 PM
  #18  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9435 Post(s)
Liked 5,811 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Obviously no dog owners in this thread....

(deepea is the exception of course.)

Seriously guys. Most dogs aren't out to kill you. If they were you wouldn't hear them. Just treat them like honking cars. Ignore and more on.

If you honestly think a frame pump will stop a large dog intent on biting you, then you're delusional.

Anything other than a large dog is a joke. You, as a 150+ lb person, can't protect yourself from a 20-40 pound dog? Really?
I own 2 dogs now and have lived with multiple dogs my entire life.
I agree most dogs arent out to kill me or anyone else for that matter. But to say that they should just be ignored and move on is hardly the answer.

1- people shouldnt have to find themselves in a situation where they must deal with the potential of a dog jumping on them.
1a- kids and the elderly do exist in this world. Go figure, they arent as strong as adult males who are active. They often times cant outrun/avoid/stop a dog running full speed at them.

2- Owners should keep their dogs on a leash and out of the way of others using MUPs. Its that simple. We teach our young children this when we walk on MUPs. When they have the leashes, we remind them many times each walk to shorten the leash as people come close from either direction and to walk the dogs on the right side so they are off the path. It is the owner's responsibility to control the animal, not the jogger/cyclist/walker's responsibility to avoid being jumped on or attacked.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 07-23-16, 07:24 PM
  #19  
jfowler85
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zinj
Posts: 1,826

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
It's illegal for alot of people to carry pepper spray. I'm not allowed to on campus.

So, I have a Topeak tire pump vailcro strapped to the seat tube. Dualpurpose.
It's weighty enough to make an effective baton.
If a pit bull charges, at least I have the mean for self defense.
I might not win against a pure bred killer, but at least I'm go down fighting.

I never let my campus dictate for me whether or not I could or could not defend myself. They also tried to tell my buddy, a city cop, that he couldn't carry his piece with him on campus...he didn't let them dictate for him either and carried his Glock in a holster mounted by his car's hand brake. And this was well before the current state of mass shootings every week or so.
jfowler85 is offline  
Old 07-25-16, 11:35 AM
  #20  
mb2112
Senior Member
 
mb2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 173

Bikes: Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Commuter Bike, Gravel bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All this talk about pepper spray and frame pumps...try a water bottle.
You likely have one handy already. Squirt a dog in the face and it'll confuse it long enough to get away, plus hopefully deter it from chasing the next person. Has always worked like a charm for me.
mb2112 is offline  
Old 07-29-16, 07:09 PM
  #21  
Bikelover84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why i stay at home and never go out. except when i ride my bike. atleast I can outpedal them. Like that one time in band camp when I had to pedal really fast to get away from that bear...

Bikelover84 is offline  
Old 07-29-16, 11:28 PM
  #22  
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™
 
Bike Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 4,271

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I own 2 dogs now and have lived with multiple dogs my entire life.
I agree most dogs arent out to kill me or anyone else for that matter. But to say that they should just be ignored and move on is hardly the answer.

1- people shouldnt have to find themselves in a situation where they must deal with the potential of a dog jumping on them.
1a- kids and the elderly do exist in this world. Go figure, they arent as strong as adult males who are active. They often times cant outrun/avoid/stop a dog running full speed at them.

2- Owners should keep their dogs on a leash and out of the way of others using MUPs. Its that simple. We teach our young children this when we walk on MUPs. When they have the leashes, we remind them many times each walk to shorten the leash as people come close from either direction and to walk the dogs on the right side so they are off the path. It is the owner's responsibility to control the animal, not the jogger/cyclist/walker's responsibility to avoid being jumped on or attacked.
I generally agreee - never let my dogs run free and harass people.

But I still have a slightly different perspective:

1. I've never seen a dog attack a child, not even a man unprovoked - but a child, never.

2. People are often too "humanocentric" IMO. I got used to dealing with problematic people, but also with stray dogs, even in packs. You can't live in a bubble protected from everything.
Bike Gremlin is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 12:04 AM
  #23  
GeneO 
Senior Member
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,520

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 98 Posts
This was really nasty. This article on the same incident has a photo of the woman's leg. Ugh. She woon't be riding for a good while.

https://translate.google.com/transla...hp&prev=search
GeneO is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 07:44 AM
  #24  
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Posts: 8,728
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
Add these to the list of famous last words: "He's friendly. He won't bite."
The response when people yell ahead "it's OK he's friendly!!!(rainbows maybe)" about their dog rushing up to my friend's leashed dog "mine's not!!!! (that's why we're following the leash law).
HardyWeinberg is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 09:07 AM
  #25  
Mr IGH
afraid of whales
 
Mr IGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 4,306
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
1. I've never seen a dog attack a child, not even a man unprovoked - but a child, never.
...
It's just your complete lack of awareness. In the Cook County Forest Preserves (Chicagoland) gangs keep fighting pit pulls in outdoor secret camps. The pits get lose and attack walkers/joggers on the MUPs. IIRC there's been one death and several life changed survivors (leg and arm muscles are torn off and the limp is permanently damaged).

My son was mauled by an Akita when he was 7 years old (he's 27 now). So while you can say you've never seen it, you have a first hand account.
Mr IGH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.