Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New year - new commuter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New year - new commuter

Old 01-02-18, 09:01 AM
  #1  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New year - new commuter

Just wanted to share my new commuter. Most of the parts are reused from a previous bike but the frame is new. Surly is discontinuing this Disc Trucker color for 2018, so I grabbed one on sale.

Is is equipped with disc brakes and dynamo lightning. Gearing is a Shimergo setup.

Things to do:
  • Shorten steerer
  • Come up with idea for nice dynamo wire routing on fork leg
  • Change saddle to something comfier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC03566.jpg (1.71 MB, 115 views)
Boye is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:38 AM
  #2  
Abe_Froman
Senior Member
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,566

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9346 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Boye View Post
Just wanted to share my new commuter. Most of the parts are reused from a previous bike but the frame is new. Surly is discontinuing this Disc Trucker color for 2018, so I grabbed one on sale.

Is is equipped with disc brakes and dynamo lightning. Gearing is a Shimergo setup.

Things to do:
  • Shorten steerer
  • Come up with idea for nice dynamo wire routing on fork leg
  • Change saddle to something comfier
Looks nice. Thatís the color i would have got.

Whats the deal with the things on the seat stays? Mini mortar launchers?
Abe_Froman is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:52 AM
  #3  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Looks nice. Thatís the color i would have got.

Whats the deal with the things on the seat stays? Mini mortar launchers?
Yes, the Bituminous Gray and Hi-Viz Black look boring compared to this one, IMO.

The thing mounted on the seat stays is a frame lock - easy to use and makes sure that theft is covered by insurance (here in Denmark you need an insurance company approved lock for that).
Boye is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:58 AM
  #4  
Abe_Froman
Senior Member
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,566

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9346 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Boye View Post
Yes, the Bituminous Gray and Hi-Viz Black look boring compared to this one, IMO.

The thing mounted on the seat stays is a frame lock - easy to use and makes sure that theft is covered by insurance (here in Denmark you need an insurance company approved lock for that).
Ahh gotcha...the dealie shoots through the wheel.

I nearly got a Surly back in 2011 when my previous commuter was stolen. Ended up with a Marin 4 Corners on clearance which is basically the same thing...long chainstay steel tourer. It has disc brake mounts...have never bothered upgrading though.
Abe_Froman is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 10:08 AM
  #5  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Ahh gotcha...the dealie shoots through the wheel.
Exactly!
Boye is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 10:25 AM
  #6  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,573

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4628 Post(s)
Liked 2,321 Times in 1,586 Posts
really nice! jealous!

you wanna knock off that stem extension in case it's an impalement risk?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 01:18 PM
  #7  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
really nice! jealous!

you wanna knock off that stem extension in case it's an impalement risk?
Thanks. I'm going to cut down that steerer as soon as I have ridden it a couple of times to find the right handlebar height.
Boye is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 01:23 PM
  #8  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,048

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2819 Post(s)
Liked 1,642 Times in 1,079 Posts
Greetings fellow Shimergoer. What’s the FD?
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is online now  
Old 01-02-18, 02:37 PM
  #9  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Greetings fellow Shimergoer. Whatís the FD?
Greetings! It is an XT FD-M773-3.

I had to hunt down a 28.6mm adapter for it today - the bike shop owners I visited couldn't remember when they last needed such an old thing, but eventually we found one that had come with an Altus FD.
Boye is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 04:00 PM
  #10  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,661

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Boye View Post
Things to do:Come up with idea for nice dynamo wire routing on fork leg
I would take advantage of those threaded mounting bosses on the fork. I'd get some small washers and wrap the wire around them to string a fairly straight and taut wire from one to the other, or even just use the washer (perhaps in conjunction with a soft rubber grommet, or just a grommet) to gently hold the wire against the fork, being careful not to crush the wire. If you were to find some blue-insulated wire that may even look less obtrusive. Or if you found replacement bolts with slightly larger heads, you may not need the washers. Or of you just used some sort of looped hanger that could be secured with the bolts.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 05:52 PM
  #11  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,048

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2819 Post(s)
Liked 1,642 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Boye View Post
Greetings! It is an XT FD-M773-3.

I had to hunt down a 28.6mm adapter for it today - the bike shop owners I visited couldn't remember when they last needed such an old thing, but eventually we found one that had come with an Altus FD.
Iíve found using a MTB FD that the inner-middle shift works great because it relies on the stop screw but the pull isnít quite enough for middle-outer. It hasnít been much of an issue since I donít use the outer much, but I have a big road crankset and not a medium trekking crankset.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is online now  
Old 01-03-18, 01:45 AM
  #12  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I would take advantage of those threaded mounting bosses on the fork. I'd get some small washers and wrap the wire around them to string a fairly straight and taut wire from one to the other, or even just use the washer (perhaps in conjunction with a soft rubber grommet, or just a grommet) to gently hold the wire against the fork, being careful not to crush the wire. If you were to find some blue-insulated wire that may even look less obtrusive. Or if you found replacement bolts with slightly larger heads, you may not need the washers. Or of you just used some sort of looped hanger that could be secured with the bolts.
Thanks for the ideas. Using to threaded mounting boss on the inside of the fork might turn out good!

The current wire is integrated into the light (no connectors at that end) so I prefer not to introduce an extra connection. Otherwise blue wire could be nice, if I could find it. Maybe I'll wrap it in blue electrical tape
Boye is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 01:49 AM
  #13  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Iíve found using a MTB FD that the inner-middle shift works great because it relies on the stop screw but the pull isnít quite enough for middle-outer. It hasnít been much of an issue since I donít use the outer much, but I have a big road crankset and not a medium trekking crankset.
Maybe is it because of the crankset, I don't know. But I have no issues. My FD and crankset are made for each other and I can run small-big and big-small without any rubbing. I haven't modified the shift ratio in any way. The shifter is a 2009 PowerShift mechanism.
Boye is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 07:41 AM
  #14  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,661

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Boye View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Using to threaded mounting boss on the inside of the fork might turn out good!

The current wire is integrated into the light (no connectors at that end) so I prefer not to introduce an extra connection. Otherwise blue wire could be nice, if I could find it. Maybe I'll wrap it in blue electrical tape
Electrical tape won't hold well in the wet and cold and end up a gooey mess (trust me, I know).
BobbyG is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 08:32 AM
  #15  
bmthom.gis
Senior Member
 
bmthom.gis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,980

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fantastic setup. Wishing you many happy miles!
bmthom.gis is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 01:33 AM
  #16  
Boye
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis View Post
Fantastic setup. Wishing you many happy miles!
Thank you!
Boye is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
yadder
Bicycle Mechanics
7
12-29-17 11:08 PM
Saltydriver
Classic & Vintage
6
06-09-17 09:41 PM
PennyTheDog
Commuting
55
09-27-13 03:41 AM
duffetta
Touring
28
06-27-11 07:48 AM
forgewithinfire
Commuting
28
05-16-10 11:09 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.