Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Honked at for NOT running a red light

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Honked at for NOT running a red light

Old 10-06-09, 06:30 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 145

Bikes: Trek 2.3, Trek FX-7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honked at for NOT running a red light

I had a new one today. On my inbound commute, I came to an intersection in the downtown area. It was still early enough that the traffic wasn't really busy, but there were a few cars around.

I stopped at a red light on a 2 lane road the intersects with a 4 lane road. There were enough cars on the 4 lane road that I didn't want to just ride across, so I stopped and unclipped.

A city bus pulls in behind me and starts honking his horn. Mostly, I ignore honking things behind me (I worry much more about the ones who don't see me, and the honkers must have seen me or they wouldn't be honking). This time, I turn around and look at him, and point at the red light. He opens his window and starts shouting "Right on Red!!! Right on Red!!!". Of course, I was going straight, but that didn't seem to be important to him.

There was really no place to go to get out of his way. A full size bus turning right would take up most of the intersection. A few seconds later, the light turns green, and I pedal across the intersection. The bus turns right behind me (I checked the mirror to be sure).

My theory about all of this is that for all of the anger about cyclists who run red light and stop signs, terrorize little old ladies and go up one way streets the wrong way, there are really only 2 important facts:

1) On average, a bicycle is slower than a car

2) Occasionally there will be bicycle in front of a car.

Personally, I don't think I've ever held up a motorist for more than 30 seconds. Of course, by second number 12 or 13, the driver is ranting and fuming (and/or honking). I think we have to recognize that we cannot change these facts, we just have to smile and wave and ignore the idiots.
mr_antares is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 06:34 PM
  #2  
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transit buses can be really nasty. I nearly got clobbered because I was stopped at a red light and he wanted to turn. He didn't even bother to honk, he just rolled on through. This is one reason I don't like bike lanes near signalled intersections.
nelson249 is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 06:36 PM
  #3  
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
or it could be you were blocking him from turning right. I am not sure where the whole running red lights is coming from.

UD
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 06:38 PM
  #4  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
or it could be you were blocking him from turning right. I am not sure where the whole running red lights is coming from.
That much was obvious to the OP from the desription as written. Duh.
umd is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 06:52 PM
  #5  
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,198

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
shoulda just looked at him and scratch your butt
hairnet is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 06:57 PM
  #6  
Can't Re Member
 
Nerdanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wooster OH
Posts: 364

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I read your subject line I thought to myself, "sounds like Boston." Sure enough.
__________________
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Nerdanel is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:10 PM
  #7  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Could've moved to your left and left room for him to make his turn. That way he could see your position a lot better and, unlike if you were on the right, he wouldn't have been able to run you over with his rear axles.

You're on a bike -- you're a LOT skinnier and more mobile than a car. You have the flexibility to share the road even better than a car can.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:13 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People just don't think. A few days ago, I was in the car with a buddy of mine and we were waiting to turn right behind a commuter who was going straight in the bike lane. A 4 second delay made my buddy fume at all bikers made me stop and say to him. "It was 4 seconds, relax wtf could you do with 4 extra seconds at applebees? Made him shut up.
mr.korea85 is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:16 PM
  #9  
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Normally I move far left to allow right turners, but a bus probably needs to crowd the center line to turn so they wouldn't be able to turn anyway, and I wouldn't want to encourage them to do so.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:22 PM
  #10  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Normally I move far left to allow right turners, but a bus probably needs to crowd the center line to turn so they wouldn't be able to turn anyway, and I wouldn't want to encourage them to do so.
Move in front of the car waiting in the next lane, then. They're not going anywhere, after all, because it's a red light.

The reason why these drivers are getting so pissed is because they know a cyclist can scoot over. They don't get nearly as upset at other cars or trucks in the same position because they understand that they can't go anywhere else.

Why not behaved like a civilized human being with some consideration for others and let them go past?
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:26 PM
  #11  
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 33,151

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 597 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Normally I move far left to allow right turners, but a bus probably needs to crowd the center line to turn so they wouldn't be able to turn anyway, and I wouldn't want to encourage them to do so.
+1 you did the proper thing with the bus.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:39 PM
  #12  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
The reason why these drivers are getting so pissed is because they know a cyclist can scoot over. They don't get nearly as upset at other cars or trucks in the same position because they understand that they can't go anywhere else.
I generally move over to let cars get through to make right turns. But one time I was waiting at an intersection where the crossing street was one way [the wrong way] and a car started creeping up on my ass. I looked back and made like a "no" motion but he was clearly upset that I was blocking his path. The light changed and I went and he tried to make his right turn [the wrong way] into oncoming traffic approaching their light.

Last edited by umd; 10-06-09 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
umd is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:39 PM
  #13  
Crankenstein
 
bmclaughlin807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 4,038

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Move in front of the car waiting in the next lane, then. They're not going anywhere, after all, because it's a red light.

The reason why these drivers are getting so pissed is because they know a cyclist can scoot over. They don't get nearly as upset at other cars or trucks in the same position because they understand that they can't go anywhere else.

Why not behaved like a civilized human being with some consideration for others and let them go past?
There WAS no next car. No next lane. READ before you go off on the OP.

You come across as a total asshat.

On a two lane road, to clear enough space for a normal size bus to make a right turn on red you'd have to go ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE STREET.

OP handled it correctly, driver was an asshat.
__________________
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
bmclaughlin807 is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:49 PM
  #14  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
There WAS no next car. No next lane. READ before you go off on the OP.

You come across as a total asshat.

On a two lane road, to clear enough space for a normal size bus to make a right turn on red you'd have to go ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE STREET.

OP handled it correctly, driver was an asshat.
Two lane (that the OP was on) turning onto a FOUR LANE ROAD. The bus can make his turn without crossing much, if at all, into the (empty) lane to the OP's left. They do it all the time around here.

Asshat.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:52 PM
  #15  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I generally move over to let cars get through to make right turns. But one time I was waiting at an intersection where the crossing street was one way and a car started creeping up on my ass. I looked back and made like a "no" motion but he was clearly upset that I was blocking his path. The light changed and I went and he tried to make his right turn into oncoming traffic approaching their light.
There must've been enough space ahead and to your left so that there would be enough room between you and the curb (or parked cars). I haven't come across a situation where there was so little space.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:53 PM
  #16  
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 33,151

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 597 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Two lane (that the OP was on) turning onto a FOUR LANE ROAD. The bus can make his turn without crossing much, if at all, into the (empty) lane to the OP's left. They do it all the time around here.

Asshat.
Retired Bus Driver here: The OP had No reason to move for the bus...
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 08:57 PM
  #17  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
There must've been enough space ahead and to your left so that there would be enough room between you and the curb (or parked cars). I haven't come across a situation where there was so little space.
Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.
umd is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:01 PM
  #18  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe I just have usable spatial recognition skills.

Really -- how difficult is this?
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:02 PM
  #19  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Maybe I just have usable spatial recognition skills.

Really -- how difficult is this?
You still don't get it? Read it again and pay attention this time.
umd is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:03 PM
  #20  
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 27,079

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 3,157 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.korea85
People just don't think. A few days ago, I was in the car with a buddy of mine and we were waiting to turn right behind a commuter who was going straight in the bike lane. A 4 second delay made my buddy fume at all bikers made me stop and say to him. "It was 4 seconds, relax wtf could you do with 4 extra seconds at applebees? Made him shut up.
+1000. Sometimes you have to put it in perspective.
genec is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:05 PM
  #21  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
You still don't get it? Read it again and pay attention this time.
Ohhh, I see -- you forgot to tell about the giant barricade that kept you from going anywhere.

And the shark tank.

Or was the one-way street going from your right to the left? They go the other way, too, ya know, so maybe you should've written that in the first place.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:07 PM
  #22  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Ohhh, I see -- you forgot to tell about the giant barricade that kept you from going anywhere.

And the shark tank.

Or was the one-way street going from your right to the left? They go the other way, too, ya know, so maybe you should've written that in the first place.
You're a real moron.

"The light changed and I went and he tried to make his right turn into oncoming traffic approaching their light."
umd is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:07 PM
  #23  
Crankenstein
 
bmclaughlin807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 4,038

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Maybe I just have usable spatial recognition skills.

Really -- how difficult is this?
You're -really- making yourself look like an idiot.

If you're in the mood to argue, try P&R or A&S... it's pretty much expected for people to argue against common sense just for the sake of arguing in both forums.
__________________
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
bmclaughlin807 is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:08 PM
  #24  
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,861

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
You're a real moron.

"The light changed and I went and he tried to make his right turn into oncoming traffic approaching their light."
"Oncoming traffic" comes from all directions.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 10-06-09, 09:09 PM
  #25  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
"Oncoming traffic" comes from all directions.
what part of turned right into oncoming traffic is not clear?
umd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.