Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vado 4.0 Step-through sizing/weight

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Vado 4.0 Step-through sizing/weight

Old 02-28-22, 04:55 PM
  #1  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Vado 4.0 Step-through sizing/weight

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a Specialized Vado Turbo 4.0 step-through for my wife. Our bike shop does have both a small and a medium and obviously we're going to try both. She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam, so based on the size guide, she may be able to ride either, it just comes down to fit, feel and maybe the difference in reach (which looks to be 8mm more on the medium). We'll be checking these out later this week hopefully, but does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the small and the medium? I can't seem to find numbers for weight based on frame size anywhere.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Scotch
scotch is offline  
Old 02-28-22, 07:30 PM
  #2  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 355 Posts
Put the bike's name in your browser with "review". Electricbikereview tested a L and it weighed 52.9 pounds; there are other reviews listed. FME, doubt the difference in weight for a given size larger or smaller is more than one pound.
2old is offline  
Old 03-01-22, 07:21 AM
  #3  
gpburdell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the small and the medium? I can't seem to find numbers for weight based on frame size anywhere.
Try contacting Specialized customer service by email - I'd asked about the weight of a different model and they fairly quickly replied with the weight for that model/size.
gpburdell is offline  
Old 03-01-22, 11:21 AM
  #4  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a Specialized Vado Turbo 4.0 step-through for my wife. Our bike shop does have both a small and a medium and obviously we're going to try both. She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam, so based on the size guide, she may be able to ride either, it just comes down to fit, feel and maybe the difference in reach (which looks to be 8mm more on the medium). We'll be checking these out later this week hopefully, but does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the small and the medium? I can't seem to find numbers for weight based on frame size anywhere.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Scotch
I find it irritating that Specialized has the specs for every angle and length, etc for their various models but does not list the weight. I know folks suggest that the fittings or components would change that but they could certainly provide a base weight.

They are probably a bit concerned that mentioning x bike weighs 40 or 50 or 55 pounds might scare folks off. But some folks might need to get these things up and down a few steps never mind mounting them on bike racks.
kahn is offline  
Old 03-01-22, 11:32 AM
  #5  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
I find it irritating that Specialized has the specs for every angle and length, etc for their various models but does not list the weight. I know folks suggest that the fittings or components would change that but they could certainly provide a base weight.

They are probably a bit concerned that mentioning x bike weighs 40 or 50 or 55 pounds might scare folks off. But some folks might need to get these things up and down a few steps never mind mounting them on bike racks.
I totally agree that they should put the weight of each sized version of the bike. I've emailed them to see if I can get an answer. Thanks for responding.
scotch is offline  
Likes For scotch:
Old 03-01-22, 12:33 PM
  #6  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
Put the bike's name in your browser with "review". Electricbikereview tested a L and it weighed 52.9 pounds; there are other reviews listed. FME, doubt the difference in weight for a given size larger or smaller is more than one pound.
Great suggestion, thank you.
scotch is offline  
Old 03-07-22, 11:46 AM
  #7  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,882

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,348 Posts
The weight is not enough to matter and if it was it still wouldn't really matter because in the end it is all about fit. If one fits better and is more comfortable to ride that is the one to go with 100% of the time. You are going to be riding the bike more than you will be using it for weight lifting and in the end the small bit of weight between sizes won't really change things.

Fit is always of first importance. If you don't fit on the bike and aren't comfortable you won't ride it so the bike will be even heavier because it is no longer a bike but a paper weight and those don't need to be that heavy. It is a neat bike and I think she will enjoy it. I am thinking about one in the future and am now considering Vado SL 4 since I am not a SRAM fan and would be replacing stuff I could just get the new Whisky CXLR fork and have my carbon and since I would probably do a Kinekt seatpost because they are awesome, I don't really need the futurehsok or could upgrade to it. Though I do love the brushed aluminum color.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-07-22, 12:35 PM
  #8  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
The weight is not enough to matter and if it was it still wouldn't really matter because in the end it is all about fit. If one fits better and is more comfortable to ride that is the one to go with 100% of the time. You are going to be riding the bike more than you will be using it for weight lifting and in the end the small bit of weight between sizes won't really change things.

Fit is always of first importance. If you don't fit on the bike and aren't comfortable you won't ride it so the bike will be even heavier because it is no longer a bike but a paper weight and those don't need to be that heavy. It is a neat bike and I think she will enjoy it. I am thinking about one in the future and am now considering Vado SL 4 since I am not a SRAM fan and would be replacing stuff I could just get the new Whisky CXLR fork and have my carbon and since I would probably do a Kinekt seatpost because they are awesome, I don't really need the futurehsok or could upgrade to it. Though I do love the brushed aluminum color.
Hey, thanks for the feedback. We went with a medium, and also the SL 4 because the lighter weight felt more like a non-Ebike for her. I am also not a fan of SRAM but hopefully what does come with the bike will last a while.
scotch is offline  
Likes For scotch:
Old 03-07-22, 02:27 PM
  #9  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,882

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
Hey, thanks for the feedback. We went with a medium, and also the SL 4 because the lighter weight felt more like a non-Ebike for her. I am also not a fan of SRAM but hopefully what does come with the bike will last a while.
Cool! She will likely love the bike, it is pretty darn light and well put together.

The SRAM will probably work just fine, I just don't care for it but in the end especially on the MTB/Flat Bar side is just fine. I mean if I could do a 1X11 set up with AXS and use the Zirbel shifter that would be pretty neat. It is such a small compact shifter.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 03-07-22, 02:39 PM
  #10  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Cool! She will likely love the bike, it is pretty darn light and well put together.

The SRAM will probably work just fine, I just don't care for it but in the end especially on the MTB/Flat Bar side is just fine. I mean if I could do a 1X11 set up with AXS and use the Zirbel shifter that would be pretty neat. It is such a small compact shifter.
Not to go off on SRAM but I had to replace the Level T brakes that came with my Farley 7 with under 150 miles on the bike. Not only did they squeal like a pig despite replacing pads and rotors, but the front brake just completely failed one day on a descent, hydro fluid leaking all over the place. Replaced with Shimano and problem solved.
scotch is offline  
Old 03-07-22, 02:49 PM
  #11  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,882

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
Not to go off on SRAM but I had to replace the Level T brakes that came with my Farley 7 with under 150 miles on the bike. Not only did they squeal like a pig despite replacing pads and rotors, but the front brake just completely failed one day on a descent, hydro fluid leaking all over the place. Replaced with Shimano and problem solved.
SRAM has never been known for their brakes, their new stuff is better but won't beat out Shimano, Magura, TRP...

A lot of companies would put a SRAM drivetrain on and Shimano brakes. I rode a really rather nice Specialized Enduro that used SRAM X0 with XTR brakes at a demo day and wish I could have kept the bike after they were done with it.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 03-07-22, 10:39 PM
  #12  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 355 Posts
Not to hijack, but you'all are just looking at the negative side; think positively: with SRAM you're getting a horn with your brakes (don't ask me how I know).
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-08-22, 08:04 AM
  #13  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 2old View Post
Not to hijack, but you'all are just looking at the negative side; think positively: with SRAM you're getting a horn with your brakes (don't ask me how I know).
Is a SRAM horn tho?
scotch is offline  
Likes For scotch:
Old 03-14-22, 11:24 AM
  #14  
Bike Tourist
Bike Tourist
 
Bike Tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 16

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ ST

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
My Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ step through is listed on Specialized web site as weighing 35 lbs with rack and all that comes standard. I have no reason to doubt the weight. The differences in frame size weights will be insignificant compared to other factors.
Bike Tourist is offline  
Old 03-14-22, 12:17 PM
  #15  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,882

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Tourist View Post
My Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ step through is listed on Specialized web site as weighing 35 lbs with rack and all that comes standard. I have no reason to doubt the weight. The differences in frame size weights will be insignificant compared to other factors.
I have learned never to trust any manufacturers website in terms of weight, they always want the lightest weight so they don't always include things that may normally come on the bike or may have a sample without paint or something odd like that. The SL line is pretty light but I would get a scale out and weigh it and certainly wouldn't trust what they publish. Not that it really matters at that point you own the bike and you probably are enjoying it so who cares. I haven't weighed my R+M yet simply because I know it is heavy and in the end I don't care so much as it won't change anything about the bike, I am not going to like it less I have already put 1800 miles on it and even if I put weight weenie parts on it, it has two batteries, a big Bosch motor and a suspension fork.

I mean heck any e-bike of quality that can weigh around the same as my steel on steel touring bike with racks, fenders, dynamo set up, pedals and such is a win in my book.

This is a funny article from a custom bike manufacturer on bike weight:
https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/we...-a-minute.html
veganbikes is offline  
Old 03-17-22, 11:49 AM
  #16  
Bike Tourist
Bike Tourist
 
Bike Tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 16

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ ST

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Consider the SL

Originally Posted by scotch View Post
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a Specialized Vado Turbo 4.0 step-through for my wife. Our bike shop does have both a small and a medium and obviously we're going to try both. She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam, so based on the size guide, she may be able to ride either, it just comes down to fit, feel and maybe the difference in reach (which looks to be 8mm more on the medium). We'll be checking these out later this week hopefully, but does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the small and the medium? I can't seem to find numbers for weight based on frame size anywhere.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Scotch
Have you considered the Turbo Vado SL4.0? Weighs about 35 or 37 lbs, I forget which.
Bike Tourist is offline  
Old 03-18-22, 11:17 AM
  #17  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I have learned never to trust any manufacturers website in terms of weight, they always want the lightest weight so they don't always include things that may normally come on the bike or may have a sample without paint or something odd like that. The SL line is pretty light but I would get a scale out and weigh it and certainly wouldn't trust what they publish. Not that it really matters at that point you own the bike and you probably are enjoying it so who cares. I haven't weighed my R+M yet simply because I know it is heavy and in the end I don't care so much as it won't change anything about the bike, I am not going to like it less I have already put 1800 miles on it and even if I put weight weenie parts on it, it has two batteries, a big Bosch motor and a suspension fork.

I mean heck any e-bike of quality that can weigh around the same as my steel on steel touring bike with racks, fenders, dynamo set up, pedals and such is a win in my book.

This is a funny article from a custom bike manufacturer on bike weight:
https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/we...-a-minute.html
I've had two Rodriguez bikes over the years. Nice equipment!
kahn is offline  
Likes For kahn:
Old 03-19-22, 10:39 AM
  #18  
scotch
purity of essence
Thread Starter
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,251

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2007 Torelli Corsa Strada, 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Tourist View Post
Have you considered the Turbo Vado SL4.0? Weighs about 35 or 37 lbs, I forget which.
This is what I ended up ordering. Picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait!
scotch is offline  
Likes For scotch:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.