Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

front light help.

Old 03-29-12, 09:29 PM
  #1  
Barnabas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Barnabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (white and Red); Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum (blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
front light help.

Alright I am looking to get a new headlight, the current one i have i got for free. it is a nashbar light. not sure what model. It is bright/can be seen from far...but i went down a street that had zero lights, and it just lit up in a white haze infront of me about 15ft ahead. i tried adjusting angle, etc. but def did not continue down that. I want something that wont turn into a blur/haze on a clear night...

I have heard knog boomers are decent. Any other opinions, or has anyone else used a knog boomer and have an opinion?
Barnabas is offline  
Old 03-29-12, 10:22 PM
  #2  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
IIRC, some people have had issues with the Boomer changing modes/turning itself off.

So, what's your budget?
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 03-30-12, 07:32 AM
  #3  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Check this: https://reviews.mtbr.com/2011-bike-lights-shootout
Looigi is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 01:20 AM
  #4  
Barnabas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Barnabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (white and Red); Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum (blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't want to spend a fortune on just a light.

I'd like to keep it to, an internal battery operated --> like double A; or a rechargable via usb (like the boomer) thats its biggest appeal to me.

I'd like to stay under 25, but if it's that good i might put a little more into it.
Barnabas is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 01:24 AM
  #5  
Barnabas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Barnabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (white and Red); Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum (blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow just went to that website looigi; so basically what i am getting is, for what i want a light to do, its not in my budget right now.
Barnabas is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 11:24 AM
  #6  
pick
Senior Member
 
pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 108

Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
wow just went to that website looigi; so basically what i am getting is, for what i want a light to do, its not in my budget right now.
yepper, pretty much the way it is man. A lighting system is definitely a big budget item. There are alternatives in the mean time. have you looked at : https://www.candlepowerforums.com in their Transportation Lighting/bicycle forum?? A lot of ideas for flashlights that are less of an investment $$ wise that may hold you over until the time comes you can pony up for a big $$ system... (fwiw I have 4 200 lumen flashlights I use on the trike - works until I can get a serious set up)
pick is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 11:57 AM
  #7  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Here's my favorite low-budget lighting system.

Flashlight ($16.70):
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-55241
18650 cells ($7.99 for two, gives you a spare)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfi...pack-blue-5790
Charger ($6.90)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital...y-charger-6105
Handlebar mount ($2.20)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/cycling...-holder-105213

$33.79 including shipping. It will take 3 weeks to arrive. I have a MagicShine 900, but honestly, this works just as well and if I were starting over, I'd get this plus a PDW Danger Zone and call it done. I've gotten other flashlights including more expensive ones that were not reliable, but this one has been solid for me. I don't have to run it on high regardless of whether I'm in town or out in the pitch black country going down potholed gravel roads, so I get more than the 50 minutes or so you'd expect to get on high with one cell. More like 90 minutes.

I might get a 2nd flashlight and keep the 2nd battery in it, just to have a full backup of everything when riding. for an extra $17 it seems worth it. I might even buy a 2nd mount and just keep the 2nd flashlight right on the bars so it would just be one button push if the first light went out.

This will blow away anything you can get from normal bike light suppliers for anything close to this price, and as a bonus it's a darn nice handheld flashlight, and it's totally waterproof.

Don't let the weird battery scare you off. They're cheap and the charger is cheap.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 04-01-12 at 01:10 PM.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 01:19 PM
  #8  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,067

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
Awesome Light. $9.30

Adjustable Beam. 3 modes. Top switch.
Great for night rides.
Great for day light safety.

I have one and another on the way.
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-q5...1x18650-102636
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is online now  
Old 04-01-12, 02:35 PM
  #9  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 831 Posts
hub dynamo , and Headlight wired to it.. never needs a battery charge,
always there.
and I can see the road, and avoid riding thru junk, in the dark.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 02:51 PM
  #10  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
10 Wheels: the beam pattern for that Cree looks lousy, very spotty. Can you see the road for a ways ahead (say, 50 feet) and still see the ground a few feet in front of the wheel? Also, how's runtime on low? One comment says that there's not that much difference between high and low. I like to have a 50% and about a 20% mode, since I can ride at 50% most of the time (except when doing downhills on gravel with potholes) and 20% is more than enough for most handheld flashlight use.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 02:58 PM
  #11  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,067

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
With the adjustable beam you can shine it ahead as far as you want.
Big difference in High and Low.

Bright run time about is 90 minutes, guessing battery quality effects it the most.
My other Cree 5's are bright for 3 hours. Have not tested this one.
It should also have a 3 hour bright period.
I have cheap ones, but getting some good ones soon.
I use it for a Day Time Strobe Safety light.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is online now  
Old 04-01-12, 03:24 PM
  #12  
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Alright I am looking to get a new headlight, the current one i have i got for free. it is a nashbar light. not sure what model. It is bright/can be seen from far...but i went down a street that had zero lights, and it just lit up in a white haze infront of me about 15ft ahead. i tried adjusting angle, etc. but def did not continue down that. I want something that wont turn into a blur/haze on a clear night...

I have heard knog boomers are decent. Any other opinions, or has anyone else used a knog boomer and have an opinion?
I've used just about every Knog LED unit they make and IMO they're fine for MUPs and bike paths, but I wouldn't want to count on them to see with or to be seen on streets shared with motor vehicles. The Boomer is rated for 50 lumens which definately doesn't cut it as anything other than a running light.

There's also the problem with light intensity varying with the square of the distance so any light that needs to throw a beam any distance needs some serious power. More-so if you actually want to light up the lane you're driving in rather than being limited to the narrow pencil-beam spotlights that flashlights and most bike lights want to try to convince you is 'normal'.

I run with a PAIR of 900 lumen headlights in unlight areas. On the other hand, daylight visibility 'be seen lighting' requires a lot less than that.
Burton is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 05:17 PM
  #13  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Awesome Light. $9.30

Adjustable Beam. 3 modes. Top switch.
Great for night rides.
Great for day light safety.

I have one and another on the way.
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-q5...1x18650-102636
What kind of mount are you using with this? I'd imagine the strap from a Twofish mount would cover that switch...
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 04-01-12, 05:19 PM
  #14  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,067

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
What kind of mount are you using with this? I'd imagine the strap from a Twofish mount would cover that switch...
The switch is just in front of where the strap holds the light.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is online now  
Old 04-01-12, 06:11 PM
  #15  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 25,330

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 740 Posts
magicshine rules
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 06:05 AM
  #16  
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
magicshine rules
If there was any truth to that statement they'd be winning all the awards in all the light comparisons - and they aren't. There are other lights available that have higher output, more reliability, better beam throws or are less expensive. Some systems offer all of those compared to some magicshine models.
Burton is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 08:07 AM
  #17  
knurly
Senior Member
 
knurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just when I think I've found it, something better comes along. Here is my latest bookmark-
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Bicycle-Light
knurly is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 03:24 PM
  #18  
Barnabas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Barnabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (white and Red); Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum (blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about catseye??
Barnabas is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 06:49 PM
  #19  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
what about catseye??
Basically, it boils down to this- when looking a cycling specific lights (Cateye, Knog, bunch of others)... they make decent "to be seen" lights, but aren't worth the plastic as a "to see by" light, unless your willing to drop at least a C-note. Even then, a flashlight powered by a 18650 lithium cell will put out more power for less money.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 07:02 PM
  #20  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
Here's my favorite low-budget lighting system.

Flashlight ($16.70):
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-55241
18650 cells ($7.99 for two, gives you a spare)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfi...pack-blue-5790
Charger ($6.90)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital...y-charger-6105
Handlebar mount ($2.20)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/cycling...-holder-105213

$33.79 including shipping. It will take 3 weeks to arrive. I have a MagicShine 900, but honestly, this works just as well and if I were starting over, I'd get this plus a PDW Danger Zone and call it done. I've gotten other flashlights including more expensive ones that were not reliable, but this one has been solid for me. I don't have to run it on high regardless of whether I'm in town or out in the pitch black country going down potholed gravel roads, so I get more than the 50 minutes or so you'd expect to get on high with one cell. More like 90 minutes.

I might get a 2nd flashlight and keep the 2nd battery in it, just to have a full backup of everything when riding. for an extra $17 it seems worth it. I might even buy a 2nd mount and just keep the 2nd flashlight right on the bars so it would just be one button push if the first light went out.

This will blow away anything you can get from normal bike light suppliers for anything close to this price, and as a bonus it's a darn nice handheld flashlight, and it's totally waterproof.

Don't let the weird battery scare you off. They're cheap and the charger is cheap.
Okay, you've sold me. I was going to just get the cheapest MS clone I could find, but this set up is at least $10 cheaper. Plus, it will be easier to use off the bike (and thus easier to justify the expense). Got every item in the shopping cart, but their server is down or too busy... they told me to go have a cup of coffee and try again later...
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 07:15 PM
  #21  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
FWIW after reading some responses and looking around, I think my next taillight will be a Cygolite Hotshot, not a Danger Zone. For the current < $30 price it's unbeatable.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 07:53 PM
  #22  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
FWIW after reading some responses and looking around, I think my next taillight will be a Cygolite Hotshot, not a Danger Zone. For the current < $30 price it's unbeatable.
I currently have a Cherrybomb and a 4D Toplight. Since I'm beefing up my lighting a bit, I'm torn between the Hotshot or getting a pair of the PBSF clones from Pricepoint...

And the DX order has been placed and confirmed. Once it gets inside CONUS, which carrier handles it? FedEx, UPS, or the USPS?
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 04-05-12, 06:43 AM
  #23  
ItsJustMe
Se˝ior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,749

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
I currently have a Cherrybomb and a 4D Toplight. Since I'm beefing up my lighting a bit, I'm torn between the Hotshot or getting a pair of the PBSF clones from Pricepoint...

And the DX order has been placed and confirmed. Once it gets inside CONUS, which carrier handles it? FedEx, UPS, or the USPS?
USPS.

I have the chinese PBSF clones. IMO they're as good as the superflash as far as brightness goes, but they're a bit less durable - the snaps have broken on two of mine, so they have zip ties holding them together. The Superflash isn't great shakes for build quality, they're just "OK" in my opinion. The SuperFlash and the clones are a great step up from department store "Bell" lights, and I use one on my helmet as a backup in case my main light dies without me knowing it, but I don't count the PBSF as a "serious" taillight.

When I say "serious" taillight, I mean one that, if I have it on my back, I feel pretty confident riding on 55+ MPH roads in bad conditions - either rain/fog or (worst case) heading into the sun. Though in heading into the sun situations, I don't know if any light is really good enough - this is one of the few situations where I'm scanning my mirror CONSTANTLY and ready to bail into the ditch, or I try to find an alternate route.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Old 04-06-12, 02:48 AM
  #24  
Barnabas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Barnabas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (white and Red); Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum (blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Basically, it boils down to this- when looking a cycling specific lights (Cateye, Knog, bunch of others)... they make decent "to be seen" lights, but aren't worth the plastic as a "to see by" light, unless your willing to drop at least a C-note. Even then, a flashlight powered by a 18650 lithium cell will put out more power for less money.
Okay, so then can't afford the "to see by" lights. What is the best value/price for the "to be seen" lights? (like best brands or specific models you may use)
Barnabas is offline  
Old 04-06-12, 03:23 AM
  #25  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Well, the Knog Boomer is rated at 50 lumens with pricing all over the board, depending on power supply and color of the body. For $25.60 shipped, you can get the Rominsen C8 from Shiningbeam that runs off of either 1x18650 or 3xAAA that will give you ~200 lumens. You could either order a mount or DIY using hose clamps, rubber bands, inner tubes, zip ties...
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ę 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.