Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-17, 06:44 PM   #1
Aushiker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
29"+ on a Salsa Mukluk

Just throwing some ideas around in my head with a 1,000 km+ "gravel grinder" bikepacking type ride in mind. I have a choice of going on my Surly Long Haul Trucker or the Salsa Mukluk but if I went on the Mukluk I think I would like to go with a narrower faster tyre (currently running 4" tyres). I suspect that have 3" tyres would just give me the edge and a few more options in the more remote parts of the ride.

So I am exploring the idea of going with 29+ tubeless rims and tyres [it will need to be a build as I will run a SON 28 150 15 dynamo].

Any suggestions on the way to go with a 29+ build? Rims? Tyres options?
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 06:08 PM   #2
drowling23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
To be honest I find both 29+ and 27.5+ for that matter to be utterly surreal, marketing-only formats. Why can't the world just stick to 26/4.0 or 4.8 tires?
drowling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 01:24 PM   #3
jrickards
Senior Member
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Bikes: 2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384
Posts: 2,591
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
Just throwing some ideas around in my head with a 1,000 km+ "gravel grinder" bikepacking type ride in mind. I have a choice of going on my Surly Long Haul Trucker or the Salsa Mukluk but if I went on the Mukluk I think I would like to go with a narrower faster tyre (currently running 4" tyres). I suspect that have 3" tyres would just give me the edge and a few more options in the more remote parts of the ride.

So I am exploring the idea of going with 29+ tubeless rims and tyres [it will need to be a build as I will run a SON 28 150 15 dynamo].

Any suggestions on the way to go with a 29+ build? Rims? Tyres options?
I asked a similar question recently but it appears that using a fattie in any other configuration is looked upon, by some, as sacrilege ( ). I understand that, although it does share some similarities with mountain bikes, it isn't quite the same but some of us don't want to buy another bike (or, in my case, have spouses that don't want us to add another one to the stable) so considering a second wheelset is all we've got.

In terms of tires/tyres, that is your decision to make because only you know what type of terrain you wish to ride on: deep knobs, shallow knobs?

However, that might make a difference in terms of the rim. You've said you want a tubeless plus tire but other than brand or model preference, there might be differences between them that might make one more suitable for some tires and others more suitable for other tires. Maybe those differences are small though: I've run 35mm to 2.4" tires on my 29er and they've worked fine.

The only consideration that you might have to address is whether or not your frame and fork will support a 29er+. You say the bike has 4.0" tires? Is this the frame's limit or can it run 4.6" or 4.8"? If the frame is limited to 4.0", then width aside (as the plus size of both 27.5: and 29" wheels use narrower tires than even 4.0"), you might need to consider the height of the 29er+ tires and perhaps go with a 27.5" plus wheelset.
jrickards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 02:23 PM   #4
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 4,765
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
First you will need to measure to see if a 28 x 3.0" tire will fit. Think 2.8 or 3.0 size tires. 35 -40 mm or so wide rims. I like the wtb asym and spank rims. I have both on the karate monkey. Big fan of mavic tires for tubeless.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:03 PM   #5
Aushiker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
The only consideration that you might have to address is whether or not your frame and fork will support a 29er+.
It does ... have seen images and reports of other builds and also Salsa themselves say so. See Introducing: Mukluk | Salsa Cycles. There also is or was a Salsa blog post also discussing this but I cannot find it at the moment.

The maximum recommended 26" tyre size is 4".

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-12-18 at 09:07 PM.
Aushiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 08:42 AM   #6
jrickards
Senior Member
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Bikes: 2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384
Posts: 2,591
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
It does ... have seen images and reports of other builds and also Salsa themselves say so. See Introducing: Mukluk | Salsa Cycles. There also is or was a Salsa blog post also discussing this but I cannot find it at the moment.

The maximum recommended 26" tyre size is 4".
Go for it then
jrickards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION