Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trek Shift

Old 08-12-15, 08:37 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Shift

For those who might be interested in the Trek Shift, here's a pic of my -3. Before any comments about the high bars, I’m less than young and have arthritis in the cervical spine so have to sit upright to keep the pain away. In that posture, the Shift’s moderate crank-forward geometry is way more comfortable [for me] than the traditional lean-forward geometry of roadies and hybrids. To make the bike feel lighter and more spirited, I replaced the heavy Bontrager H5 2.00 tires with Panaracer's Tourguard Pasela 1.50’s. No doubt other street 1.5’s [or 1.75's] would also be worthwhile, but I kinda like the gumwall look. Added a Serfas seat from a previous bike, although the original seat wasn't bad. With REI Nucleus bags, the -3 is hauling home a lot of groceries these days.

Last edited by slomoshun; 07-10-17 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 08:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I have Panaracer Pasela's on one of my bikes. - 700c 25 mm in my case, but I too like that sidewall look.

The pedal forward geometry strikes me as something alien, but I'm glad it works for you.
Old 08-12-15, 08:57 PM
slomoshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
....The pedal forward geometry strikes me as something alien...
I used to have a few crank-way-forward recumbents. Those are alien.
Old 08-12-15, 09:20 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
To the bikes credit, it's "stealthy" black!

If my back keeps acting up like it has the last couple of weeks, I might be riding this bike sooner than later (in addition to a Cat Trike - on the wish list).

The Shift 1 looks like a cool bike with a 1x7 drivetrain.
Old 08-13-15, 03:34 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If Harley guys rode bicycles, that would be it. Bet on black!
Old 08-13-15, 05:53 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If the Trek makes it possible for you to ride, and its what you want, then its fine by me. Not too many folks here will put your choice of bicycles down, and yours looks nice, the Pannaracer tires are a great choice. I for one would not object to gum walls coming back, as I always liked their appearance, swapped the plain black-walls on my first 10-speed, back in 1971, for a set of Schwinn High-Pressure Puffs, with the gum walls, thought I was something special with them (shows you what I knew as a rather large 15 year old).) Had to save up my pennies from doing odd jobs for several months to afford them, it was well worth the effort. Your Paselas are great choices. As you described, the ride, and wear are first class, enjoy the riding with them.

Welcome to the 50+ Forum, too, I think you'll find the folks to be encouraging here, stick around.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-13-15 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 07:36 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6757 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 140 Posts
Crank forward bikes (Trek Pure is more so) are beneficial for riders wanting the secure feeling of a flat footed stop..

something you also get with motorcycles .. (rather than tippy-toe, or higher, get off the saddle then get back on to go, again)

26", 559 wheel type like most MTB ..

BTW Shift 1 fork , I wouldn't call light .. there are other suspension corrected long blade forks that may be lighter.

Its the crown race to fork tip distance you try to keep .. your LBS should be able to help with the suggestions.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-13-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:26 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good looking bike.
You have actually done what is often advocated, but seldom done. From the ground up you have focused on comfort and utility for you. Kudos.
Old 08-13-15, 02:28 PM
slomoshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shift is actually not a flat-foot bike. The few degrees added to the seat tube do not move the crank forward enough to do that. To get flat-foot ergos the BB is usually located forward of the seat tube/chain stay junction. The Shifts BB location does not reduce leverage as much as the Pure, beach cruisers, and some upright recumbents. The Shift can still climb and I can stand on the pedals when necessary without ergonomic conflict. Im sure you all have pedaled a drop-bar bike hands-free sitting upright. Its awkward because the BBs rearward location over-extends, among others, the rectus femoris muscle. The Shift design allows a more upright posture without that compromise. The downside of the Shifts posture is, of course, transferring much of the arm's weight bearing to the butt. No free lunch, but IMO as most of you other old farts physically deteriorate and start hurting a bit, sitting more upright will be worthwhile. To quote Schopenhuer, All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

> If Harley guys rode bicycles, that would be it. Bet on black!

Id wager that the HD crowd would go for something like the 'Day 6 modified with some sort of power assist. In reality, though, no bicycle will ever be capable of compensating enough. <g>

http://www.cycle9.com/wp-content/upl...ay6journey.jpg
Old 08-13-15, 02:49 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it gets/keeps you riding, it is the right bike for you.
Old 08-13-15, 07:44 PM
george25923

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Shift 3 last September. Since then I have put over 4,000 enjoyable miles on it. I have been looking for a lighter bike like the Trek Verve 3 or a Giant Cypress DX. Like you I like the upright sitting position. I am 67 and just starting riding again last May after getting laid off. Had to something to fill my time.
Em