Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The WHO warning about red meat and colon cancer. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1036628-who-warning-about-red-meat-colon-cancer.html)

JanMM 10-31-15 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by peterws (Post 18284393)
By the way, colonoscopies carry their own risk, its quite high. I had a mini colonoscopy and was offered a choice who did it. I asked for a nice gentle female.
She was about to go on holiday, and was in a hurry. . .

There is risk, but not sure about 'quite high'.
The risk is why the standard recommendation now for a repeat screening colonoscopy is at least ten years till the next one, unless there is a valid reason for doing it earlier.
If a polyp is removed during the colonoscopy, then the interval to the next one should be at least three years. Again, unless there is a reason for doing one earlier.

trackhub 10-31-15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 18283121)
Living in this day and age, if you lived by only drinking water, someone, somewhere would find something in it that would cause cancer. If you notice, not one of those studies use the word "will" but instead use words like "can, may, probably, could, etc." In other words, they really don't know for sure what causes cancer. Next years report will say that meat is healthy and potato's are bad for you. I gave up worrying about it years ago. Man's been eating meat since the beginning of time. Eat whatever you want in moderation and go out and ride.

Bingo, you said it best. And is it just me, or do these reports seem to come in waves, or phases? And yes, the plains Indians somehow managed
to survive on Buffalo meat for centuries.

Eat, ride, and be happy.

fastcarbon 10-31-15 01:37 PM

OK I am giving up Bacon. I will substitute Pork Belly

peterws 10-31-15 01:46 PM

You could "substitute" with quorn sausages. Then you might not "die before I get old" . . .

JohnDThompson 10-31-15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 18284369)
OTOH if you kill and process your own wild meat, I don't think there's any risk at all to meat consumption.

Except maybe "chronic wasting disease?"

spoiledrotten 10-31-15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shp4man (Post 18283059)
To stay within normal weight/height recommendations, many people, myself included, limit carbohydrate intake. That usually means eating more meat. After this came out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/27/he...meat.html?_r=0

I've been thinking about another colonoscopy- just had one ten years ago at 51. Damn it, there are pitfalls everywhere! :)

Those studies will reveal anything they are willing to pay for. I don't listen to most. Vegetarians or PETA probably sponsored that study.

JohnDThompson 10-31-15 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by peterws (Post 18284393)
By the way, colonoscopies carry their own risk, its quite high. I had a mini colonoscopy

Might that have been a "flexible sigmoidoscopy?" While that's likely better than nothing, it only examines the rectum and final portion of the colon, leaving most of it unvisualized.

osco53 10-31-15 04:15 PM

Sure I take care of my self but....

One day a doctor will tell me I am going to die, or I will get lucky like my mother and just do it suddenly....

And I will thank God that I had the faith and the smarts to not fear death and mostly I will be glad I did not waste my time thinking about it along the way ~

spoiledrotten 10-31-15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by osco53 (Post 18285027)
Sure I take care of my self but....

One day a doctor will tell me I am going to die, or I will get lucky like my mother and just do it suddenly....

And I will thank God that I had the faith and the smarts to not fear death and mostly I will be glad I did not waste my time thinking about it along the way ~

Thank you for the words! That's about the way I feel about it.

NVanHiker 10-31-15 09:54 PM

Considering the average age in this forum, I'm a little surprised no one has pointed out that the connection between prepared meats and cancer has been pointed out many times over the past few decades, usually based on the fact that the nitrates are considered carcinogenic. Since the '60's, I have taken this to heart and have always moderated my intake of bacon, hot dogs, etc. but certainly not eliminated them entirely.

Carbonfiberboy 10-31-15 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 18284932)
Except maybe "chronic wasting disease?"

I spoke with a PhD veterinarian this evening. She said that there have been many studies spanning decades trying to find a case where chronic wasting disease was transmitted to humans. No case was ever found. She said that few prion diseases are transmittable. "Mad cow" is the only one known that can be transmitted to humans.

Rowan 11-01-15 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by NVanHiker (Post 18285466)
Considering the average age in this forum, I'm a little surprised no one has pointed out that the connection between prepared meats and cancer has been pointed out many times over the past few decades, usually based on the fact that the nitrates are considered carcinogenic. Since the '60's, I have taken this to heart and have always moderated my intake of bacon, hot dogs, etc. but certainly not eliminated them entirely.

There also have been indications that burning meat as happens in barbecuing also creates carcinogens. But that hasn't stopped people from barbecuing meat at every opportunity they can, let alone consuming copious quantities of pork products.

Of course, you are correct in your post about moderation. Today I had two slices of leg ham because of the salt and protein content as an after-ride treat from a metric century. But that is something I might have once a month, if that.

I suspect that any research that goes against everyday mythical wisdom is going to get the reaction demonstrated by the majority of posters in this thread. And there is nothing wrong with that, the same as there is nothing wrong in complaining about high medical insurance premiums and the high cost of general medical care.

osco53 11-01-15 04:55 AM

About once or twice a month I cook a pound of thick cut bacon and when I finish I leave a couple of table spoons of bacon grease and all the chunky stuff in the pan.
I scramble about a half dozen eggs in that grease,,MMmMMm good stuff I tell ya ! My wife gets about two eggs and a few strips of bacon.
I give my dog one egg and a few strips of bacon :P Hey they only live a dozen years or so,, I make It count for them :P
I get the rest adding toast with butter and grape jam, washing all this down with a glass of whole milk or OJ..

Just sayin...

JohnDThompson 11-01-15 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by spoiledrotten (Post 18284938)
Those studies will reveal anything they are willing to pay for. I don't listen to most. Vegetarians or PETA probably sponsored that study.

No, it was a meta-analysis of several hundred independent studies.

John E 11-01-15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by NVanHiker (Post 18285466)

The link between red meat -- particularly processed or cured meat -- and cancer is indeed not news. I have been ovolactarian, supplemented by salmon, for 40 years, but I think refined sugar and flour may pose some of the biggest threats to health. Fiber is your friend!

John E 11-01-15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by nobodyhere (Post 18283312)
Moderation in all things said the gentleman eating just a small bit of arsenic. NO - just kidding here :). Truly, lots of fruit, veggies, a very little red meat whole grains, no soda, etc.

Actually, brown rice has more arsenic than white does, so the arsenic is not entirely a joke. Fortunately, if you rinse it before cooking it and shop carefully by brand, you can minimize the arsenic exposure without giving up the beneficial rice fiber.

John E 11-01-15 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shp4man (Post 18283059)
... many people, myself included, limit carbohydrate intake. That usually means eating more meat. ...

???
What about legumes and other great vegetarian sources of protein? Yes, they have carbs, as well, but high fiber complex carbs are an important energy source and should be an integral part of a healthful diet. I adjust my protein/carb balance by adjusting my ratio of legumes to grains.

nobodyhere 11-01-15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 18286543)
Actually, brown rice has more arsenic than white does, so the arsenic is not entirely a joke. Fortunately, if you rinse it before cooking it and shop carefully by brand, you can minimize the arsenic exposure without giving up the beneficial rice fiber.

Well, John, here is what the rice folks say about arsenic.

Arsenic Facts - Home

Strangely enough, they have a bit different viewpoint :)

John E 11-01-15 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by nobodyhere (Post 18286701)
Well, John, here is what the rice folks say about arsenic.

Arsenic Facts - Home

Strangely enough, they have a bit different viewpoint :)

I love brown rice and eat a fair amount of it, but I figure why not reduce one's arsenic exposure through rinsing and a bit of careful shopping? I don't particularly worry about it for myself, but it became an issue when our infant grandson's pediatrician recommended giving him a bit of rice cereal for acid reflux. I found that the organic grown-in-America brand my wife was already buying has considerably less arsenic than most of the competition, so why not stay the course?

eatontkd 11-02-15 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 18286539)
....but I think refined sugar and flour may pose some of the biggest threats to health.

Agreed John, go into any store and notice all the sugar-laced "snacks" at the checkout registers. Our "society" is hooked on sugar and is shows...

berner 11-02-15 09:55 AM

A main point is that of risk factors. Some elements of diet increase the risk of health problems and others reduce risk. It has already been well established that a mediterranean diet promotes longer life. This diet consists largely of fresh veggies and some meat and fish. The Japanese diet also consists of large amounts of fish and those people have lengthy life spans.

Needles 11-02-15 09:59 AM

Creutzfeldt-Jacobs, high cholesterol, alpha-3 galactose intolerance, hormone and antibiotic exposure---- there are a lot of reasons to give up beef, in addition to the threat of cancer. Pork and mutton are not as heavily medicated, usually. Personally, I eat poultry or fish or seafood from safe sources, if possible. Occasionally I'll have pork (bacon or BBQ). Cancer is multi-factoral--- not many single things cause it, but a lot of combinations of factors can.

Gerryattrick 11-02-15 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 18288199)
A main point is that of risk factors. Some elements of diet increase the risk of health problems and others reduce risk. It has already been well established that a mediterranean diet promotes longer life. This diet consists largely of fresh veggies and some meat and fish. The Japanese diet also consists of large amounts of fish and those people have lengthy life spans.

Mediterranean diet also contains a large amount of processed meat. Prosciutto, salami etc. Perhaps diet balance and relaxed lifestyle is the key.

hig4s 11-02-15 12:56 PM

2400 years ago Aristotle's suggested a doctrine of moderation. Still hasn't caught on.

Needles 11-02-15 01:11 PM

Moderation in all things. All things in moderation. Abstinence is not moderation.