Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why argue about cost????

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why argue about cost????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 03:21 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
What I've paid for bikes has been all over the place. The six biggest life changers (good and bad) over the past half decade were my first 10 speed, an $80 UO-8, the $170 Lambert 6 years later which introduced me to racing and later, near killed me, my racing bike ($450 as a shop employee), my Mooney and my two Jessicas, fun fix gears costing me $105 to get riding then $4000+ as a ti custom, both ear-to-ear grin fun.

Ben
Old 04-20-16, 06:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While I dont care what someone else paid for their bike, there is a real fact that people should know. Up to a point more money buy a better wash machine or a bike. Once you reach mid level, more money only buys glitz and a name.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-20-16 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-20-16, 07:22 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
While I dont care what someone else paid for their bike, there is a real fact that people should know. Up to a point more money buy a better wash machine or a bike. Once you reach mid level, more money only buys glitz and a name.
Where is that point? Do you have personal experience of owning bikes up to that point and beyond that point? Are you an expert rider such that you have the ability to tell the difference? And, and, and....

People often argue these things with no basis in experience or completely based upon their own biases.

And, what if a good rider, not a great rider (from a performance perspective) is a true bike lover and they want a truly expensive bike because the components really are that cool and the paint job and welding is virtually art work, is that not completely their right to do without others judging them?

My answer is yes! Because biking has a huge happiness quotient that each person should define for themselves.
Old 04-20-16, 08:46 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have a bike with Shimano Sora, a bike with Shimano "mid level" 105, and a bike with 7800 Dura Ace. The 105 shifts better than the Sora, and the Dura Ace shifts better than the "mid level" 105. A bit more than glitz and a name. Does the "mid level" 105 perform well? Yes it does, just not as well as the DA.
Old 04-20-16, 09:05 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Late to this discussion, but wanted to add that most of the "non-essential" expenditures that I make are due to winter boredom, when online shopping and working on the bikes in the comfort of my basement shop just plain make the time go better. A couple years ago I spent $1K+ on a set of custom wheels and really enjoyed the ordering/configuration process and the anticipation of having them delivered. They came beautifully packaged and were exactly what I had hoped for, and they sure do look good on the bike. Do they enhance my riding at all? At my skill and ability level, not a whit! Would I do it again? Heck, yes!
Old 04-20-16, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Once I had a $200 WalMart bike that I enjoyed. Eventually I traded up to one that is $2000. Now I'm just as happy as I was then.

Last edited by bargeon; 04-21-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 06:17 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Late to this discussion, but wanted to add that most of the "non-essential" expenditures that I make are due to winter boredom, when online shopping and working on the bikes in the comfort of my basement shop just plain make the time go better. A couple years ago I spent $1K+ on a set of custom wheels and really enjoyed the ordering/configuration process and the anticipation of having them delivered. They came beautifully packaged and were exactly what I had hoped for, and they sure do look good on the bike. Do they enhance my riding at all? At my skill and ability level, not a whit! Would I do it again? Heck, yes!
I'm up here in Boyne City so I can relate to the winter experience you spoke of. Second to buying a new bike, there is nothing more fun than a new set of wheels.
Old 04-20-16, 06:38 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Where is that point? Do you have personal experience of owning bikes up to that point and beyond that point? Are you an expert rider such that you have the ability to tell the difference? And, and, and....

People often argue these things with no basis in experience or completely based upon their own biases.

And, what if a good rider, not a great rider (from a performance perspective) is a true bike lover and they want a truly expensive bike because the components really are that cool and the paint job and welding is virtually art work, is that not completely their right to do without others judging them?

My answer is yes! Because biking has a huge happiness quotient that each person should define for themselves.
+1, Excellent reply to his repetitive post, I've had the pleasure of riding all out road bikes, you can truly feel the difference in the shifting, and in the brakes. Well made frames, of every material handle better than the run of the mill types. If you are happy with the lower equipped bicycle, and it suits you, fine, enjoy the riding. I'll back you up. Just don't sell the high end, or even the second tier models short as just being bling. Their manufacturing precision/tolerances, and the engineering will stand out.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-21-16, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I've had the pleasure of riding all out road bikes, you can truly feel the difference in the shifting, and in the brakes. Well made frames, of every material handle better than the run of the mill types. If you are happy with the lower equipped bicycle, and it suits you, fine, enjoy the riding. I'll back you up. Just don't sell the high end, or even the second tier models short as just being bling. Their manufacturing precision/tolerances, and the engineering will stand out.
Well said, @Bill

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
They've never ridden a really nice bike.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My sentiments exactly, @oldnslow2The naysayers just don’t believe a bike such as mine is worth it, though likely haven’t had enough saddle time on one to appreciate it.
…Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption. Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.

I’m not that conversant with the technical specifics, nor may anyone asking the price, so the price becomes a common reference to tell what a fine piece of machinery it is. But I would nonetheless admit the price only to a close acquaintance in serious conversation.

… My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red. I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-21-16 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-21-16, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I admit I've felt a tiny bit jealous of people who own something flashy that I've secretly wanted but can't justify buying. But I wouldn't judge the rider. Along with the idea that riding a bike is supposed to be fun, it's also a process. The person who seems unfit for an expensive performance bike today may be training and will become a muscled, speed machine sometime down the road.

I have a custom built road bike that isn't flashy looking at all, but boy is it a joy to ride. I had the wheels custom built, and I believe wheels determine the feel of the ride. I pass my "ballast assisted" friends on descents, which always makes me smile. It was worth every penny.

I also have an Electra Townie cruiser that I bought to have something after knee surgery, the "flat foot" geometry made it safe to ride when my knee was very weak. I assumed I'd sell it later, particularly because it looks like an oversized kid's bike, and, well, I'm a serious rider with the custom bike and all, blah blah... But I really like using for errands and tooling around the MUP trails, where you have to be ready to stop for kids and such. And now I can haul a$$ on the thing, and keeping a good speed on fat tires is pretty good for my fitness.
Old 04-21-16, 03:59 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I've got absolutely no problem with anyone spending as much as they want to for a bike that gives them pleasure. Good luck to them.

For my point of view I am not a good enough cyclist, or just don't have the riding sensitivity, to appreciate, or benefit from, the difference that a top range bike can give. But if you are different, no criticism from me.

Improvement in top bikes filters down to bikes lower in the hierarchy.
Old 04-22-16, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I've got absolutely no problem with anyone spending as much as they want to for a bike that gives them pleasure.
+1 here.

At this stage in my life, I feel blessed to have enough money to buy things that that give me pleasure. Not many people in this world can say that. Its a personal right for anyone to do what they want with their own money and not of any ones business on how they spend it.

For me, I try to be a good steward with what I have and do go out a splurge every once in a while. Splurging is where everyone has a different opinion. Maybe we shouldn't be critical of others and just congratulate them on their purchases. But if it means kids go hungry or the mortgage isn't being paid, then that's another story...

There is one thing I try to do when making a "big" purchase like getting a bike. I try to get what I need at the moment and go one step up from there. That way, when I get better and ready to upgrade I will already have it...

Last edited by RockiesDad; 04-22-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-24-16, 05:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I never have a problem with anyone spending whatever they want on a bike. I've seen an Ellis custom bike in person, and it was stunning. Gallery - Ellis Cycles: custom hand built bicycles & racks But, for me, I ride what works. I've totally gotten over any desire for custom or bling for bling's sake. I DO have a problem with people saying that their noodly titanium bike with down tube shifters is as good (efficient/functional) as my carbon fiber bike with integrated shifters. The more you ride, the better you get, the better you're able to discern and benefit from the amazing technology that's available in the marketplace.

I've probably bought my last road bike, but new mountain bikes are singing their siren's song for me and my wife.
Old 04-28-16, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I created a thread about bike lovers versus bike snobs, and the OP was all about the humor in how things are viewed. Some folks kept it fun, some went off onto the never ending debate about cost, value, and the egos that go with those.

So, why on earth does anyone care what someone else spent on a bike? I have known bike lovers and bike snobs from both the Walmart bike crowd and the Colnago (et al) crowd. So, why do some people care what others spend on their bikes, both low cost and high cost?

Please stay away from the silly arguments that all bikes are equal, or it won't matter how much the bike costs because ________ could beat you in a race on a dumpster bike.

I have had times in life when I had little money, like the fact that my first car out of grad school cost me $40 dollars and I drove it for a year. Now, after many years and having raised the kids, I spend what I want on my bikes. However, if you have seen some of my "odd" creations, it is about being a bike lover and making it work for me.

Just wondering if some folks can stay on topic and discuss this with an intent to ponder this idea. We won't likely agree, and who cares. Just looking for some good, interesting, and hopefully FUNNY discussion.
why?
because: if such time comes that the item must be sold. The owner/seller will only have a harder time selling.
As customers of used items are very cheap minded.
Old 04-28-16, 09:20 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
why?
because: if such time comes that the item must be sold. The owner/seller will only have a harder time selling.
As customers of used items are very cheap minded.
You are assuming the first owner cares about resale value!

I am planning on riding my bikes to the point I will not care!!!
Old 04-28-16, 07:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I never have a problem with anyone spending whatever they want on a bike. I've seen an Ellis custom bike in person, and it was stunning. Gallery - Ellis Cycles: custom hand built bicycles & racks But, for me, I ride what works. I've totally gotten over any desire for custom or bling for bling's sake. I DO have a problem with people saying that their noodly titanium bike with down tube shifters is as good (efficient/functional) as my carbon fiber bike with integrated shifters. The more you ride, the better you get, the better you're able to discern and benefit from the amazing technology that's available in the marketplace.

I've probably bought my last road bike, but new mountain bikes are singing their siren's song for me and my wife.
What is the model of your road bike?
Old 04-29-16, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What is the model of your road bike?
When I went back to riding, I bought a nice Trek 2300 with AL frame and Ultegra shifters. It became my rain/snow bike. Then a carbon fiber Scott SL with Kysrium SL wheels and Dura Ace gruppo - this thing was super stiff and climbed like a scalded cat. Then a Scott Addict when I broke the SL frame. Finally a Parlee Z4 with Reynolds Assault mid-dish CF rims and SRAM Force Gruppo. Also fairly stiff.
Old 04-29-16, 07:03 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Finally a Parlee Z4 with Reynolds Assault mid-dish CF rims and SRAM Force Gruppo. Also fairly stiff.
Never heard of them before so did a google search and yeah, that does seem to be a very special bike.
Old 04-29-16, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas
I have $20,000 of dive gear...
debate the merits.
Yeah, I'm late to the table, butt...

Dive gear is life support equipment. Anything that keeps me alive at 130ft is worth every penny. (and yes, I'm a certified diver).
Old 05-09-16, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little embarrassed to still be riding my amazon.com Schwinn special now in it's second year especially because I can afford to get a better bike. I subscribe to bicycle magazine now and enjoy the reviews of more expensive rides. I test rode three different new bikes last summer and couldn't decide which one was for me so I didn't buy anything. In the meantime, I'm perfectly content and in no hurry to upgrade. When I see and ride the bike I really want, I'll know it but by choosing one bike, I've eliminated all others and that doesn't seem fair. I might become the LBS's most dreaded customer as I want to ride them all before I decide, a daunting task and I won't win any popularity contests. I'm still having fun on the Schwinn but I secretly want someone to steal it so I'm forced to make a decision. It's all good when it comes to riding/choosing bikes. I'm just thrilled my wife talked me into buying one. I argued with her that they would only become dust collectors but now it's the couch that's collecting dust, a wonderful thing
Old 05-09-16, 01:03 PM
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
A friend of mine, who not only shared my penchant for vintage road bikes, also has a workshop & garage filled with mountain bikes, old cars, motorcycle- cool old toys. He nonetheless teased me that I should quit fooling around with the old stuff, that I could afford to go out and buy a new bike. He was right, and I did (thought it was still a close-out deal). Sometimes we need to hear we should spend MORE, not less.
Old 05-09-16, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Why not argue about cost? It beats arguing about waiving.
Doesn't it?
Old 05-09-16, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Jealousy and envy do strange things to people.
This...