Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Daytime Lights

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Daytime Lights

Old 04-25-16, 09:23 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 202 Posts
Daytime Lights

More and more of my cycling buddies are riding with lights in the daytime.

I'm not so sure that it would make that much difference, but lights are so cheap nowadays, it's got me thinking ... why not?

Anybody else out there doing the daytime light thing? What lights are you using? I'd want it to be rechargeable and good for an entire day and evening.

I was thinking that this might be pretty close to ideal for the rear.

https://www.cygolite.com/product/hotshot-micro-2w-usb/

Old 04-25-16, 09:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 871 Posts
I wear this on my helmet and use it on flasher mode whenever I'm riding in traffic, day or night. The same light is available from at least two other distributors on Amazon under other brand names, including one for about $12 without the tail light included with the other two packages.

It's bright enough to be seen in daylight, but just barely adequate as a to-see light at night. I like it because it's so lightweight I don't even notice it on my helmet, and runs for many hours on flash. And it's very directional. Usually aim it slightly downward so it's not unnecessarily annoying, but by lifting my head slightly and looking directly at a driver I can tell the light gets their attention.

On the back of the helmet I've attached a Blackburn 2'Fer multi-mode light. Also very lightweight. I run it on red flashing mode in traffic, and switch to steady red when riding in groups, especially a monthly local nighttime group ride.

The head and tail lights both last about the same time per charge, assuming the same modes -- steady or flash -- and both recharge in the same time, so it's a convenient combination. The Blackburn 2'Fer has a built in battery gauge (the headlight does not), so when the Blackburn indicates it needs to be recharged, I plug both into the USB ports on my desktop PC. Depending on how often I ride I usually recharge them once or twice a week.

I'd guesstimate maybe one in 10 of the cyclists I see around town use lights in daytime. I see these more often on the local MUP, but rarely on public streets. By far most of the folks I see riding bikes in my area are impoverished or homeless, riding ill-fitting squeaky bikes, no lights or reflectors at night, often on the wrong side of the road.

But about once a week or so I'll see a serious cyclist kitted up in full regalia and running lights in daytime. Most of 'em use flashing mode, both the white front and red rear. Can't say it bothers me, although some folks complain. But so far most folks I've encountered are using fairly low powered lights, maybe 300 lumens or less, usually aimed slightly downward so they aren't blinding. I haven't encountered any cyclist running those overpowered aftermarket headlights so popular with young fellows in jacked up pickup trucks.
Old 04-25-16, 10:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2819 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 140 Posts
Why not: just the weight weenie stuff and not wanting to clutter the bike are the only reasons. I don't use headlights on my road bike in the summer but I keep headlights on the other bikes, and I usually turn them on before reaching the more heavily traffic'd streets. There's no reason at all to refrain from mounting tail lights.
Old 04-25-16, 10:23 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 175 Posts
I use a Flare 1 blinkie that clips on the back of a small seatbag. It is light and compact enough to satisfy my weight-weenyist quirks. It is bright and quite glaringly obnoxious. I like it for the open road anytime I need a seatbag.
Old 04-25-16, 10:34 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do. I use a Planet Bike Better Beamer 5

In the flashing mode it lasts in the tens of hours and I use rechargeable batteries. It can be seen half a mile away.

Moreover, it can be seen by cars preparing to cross an intersection, when I have the right of way. Many times I can see a recognition reaction in their face,

'hey, this hi viz yellow blob and the flashing light is a cyclist and I have the STOP sign...'

For the back I have a Turbo Flash LED

This thing you can't ignore in the brightest daylight.

Better noticed than dead...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
m0vaZrPGFe-yR4b_18Bd6bg.jpg (7.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 04-25-16, 10:46 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
I use a Flare 1 blinkie that clips on the back of a small seatbag. It is light and compact enough to satisfy my weight-weenyist quirks. It is bright and quite glaringly obnoxious. I like it for the open road anytime I need a seatbag.
Is that the Bontrager Flare 1? I finally saw a Cygolight tail light on a bike I was riding with the other day and was impressed with it during the early afternoon. I was at the Trek shop and saw the Bontrager Flare 3 and was double impressed compared to the commonly recommended Cygolight everyone usually mentions. I wanted it, but didn't get as I've been spending way too much money and was heading to another shop to spend even more. Plus I need to pick up a camera and they don't come cheap for my finances.
Old 04-25-16, 10:52 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
My bike has a dynohub so it is generating electricity all the time. The front and rear lights are both LEDs so they are not going to wear out soon, even with daily use. The Lumotec headlight has a position for day running lights and I use it. It is clear that I am much moire noticeable to other traffic -- been a while since anyone ran a stop when I was entering an intersection.. I think it provides a safety benefit at no cost to me.
Old 04-25-16, 11:07 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
On the one hand I think it's a bit overkill for daytime, but on the other hand they weigh next to nothing, and if they make a slight difference, why not. I tend to use them mostly on dull days (which is quite often in the UK ) or at dusk.

I have these Lezyne lights from Wiggle, they last a long time, and take seconds to switch between bikes.

Wiggle | Lezyne Femto Drive LED Light Set | Light Sets
Old 04-25-16, 11:24 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
On the one hand I think it's a bit overkill for daytime, but on the other hand they weigh next to nothing, and if they make a slight difference, why not. I tend to use them mostly on dull days (which is quite often in the UK ) or at dusk.

I have these Lezyne lights from Wiggle, they last a long time, and take seconds to switch between bikes.

Wiggle | Lezyne Femto Drive LED Light Set | Light Sets

I got caught out in the dark a few months ago (ride took longer than we expected), and had to ride about 40 minutes in the dark. That experience taught me to carry an emergency "be seen" light with me at all times.

I found that Lezyne light on sale for something like $6, and went for it. I thought I might have to pull it out and use it last Saturday, but I managed to get home in time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Emergency Light Low Res.jpg (95.3 KB, 98 views)

Old 04-25-16, 12:01 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I will absolutely refuse to ride during the day without a strobe front light and a strobe rear light. I just wont!

Not a 'scientific study', but I noticed a definite difference in the attitude of automobiles/trucks to me after I started riding with strobes. My normal riding territory is in the 'high desert'. The Antelope Valley west and north of Palmdale/Lancaster, sometimes south and southeast on the north flank of the San Gabriels. (The roads east are really crappy and do not make for an enjoyable ride). The usual road condition is two lanes, one each direction, 8-10 feet in width, separated by a dashed yellow line, usually a fog line, but with only six inches or a foot of asphalt before dropping off onto a soft shoulder. In a few places, the shoulder is more, in many, non-existent. So, to ride out in the high desert means that you have to ride about six inches or a foot on the left of the fog line, in the path of fast moving traffic, (thankfully, field-of-view is vast and visibility obstructions are rare).

Anyway, before riding with lights, maybe one single car out of ten will go at least half-way over into the oncoming lane to pass me. The other nine out of ten? They pass so close that if I were to thrust my left arm out straight . . . well, I wouldn't have a left arm in that case, at least not a hand.

After starting to ride with strobes, that ratio flipped! Now, nine out of ten cars will move over into the oncoming lane and only the occasional, inattentive idiot will 'buzz' me. On one occasion, an oncoming car, signaling to make a left turn, stopped about a quarter-mile ahead of me and waited until I passed before turning. I couldn't believe that someone would wait that long! Of course, I gave them an appreciative wave as I passed.

These experiences have made me a believer! The only time I won't ride with strobes is if I'm on a MUP, (i.e., SART), or in a pack, such as on our Saturday morning bike shop sponsored rides.

And of course, I got the brightest lights I could afford. The less expensive, and dimmer, lights are just not visible in daylight, and marginally better than background 'noise' at night. You have to be seen!!! On the front, I use a NiteRider Lumina 600. Got some newer Luminas with higher Lumen output, but I don't like the strobe pattern of the new ones, so don't really use them. They flash too fast, and a phone call to NiteRider confirmed that the pulse rate cannot be changed. On the rear, I use a Dinotte Quad Red, (which replaced the previous model Dinotte that I lost on the road somewhere in my adventures). Both lights are USB rechargeable and good for an eight-nine hour ride. (The strobe function really extends how long a battery charge lasts. After I get home from a ride, one of the first things I do, even before jumping into the shower, is to put the lights on the charger so that they will be ready for the next ride.)

This has become a religion for me. There is no way you can get me out solo without strobes, and those don't ride with them . . . well, they just don't understand that it's a battle out there, and we cyclist are undermanned and outgunned. We need all the aids available to us to increase out visibility. If the 'enemy' can see us, then the probably won't hit us.

Sorry to be so adamant. It's a serious problem in SoCal, and other places that don't understand the danger they pose to cyclist or just don't care. One major reason that when I retire next March, I'm relocating to Idaho. They 'respect' cyclists up there, (based on my own, personal experiences while cycling in the state).
Old 04-25-16, 12:13 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Is that the Bontrager Flare 1? I finally saw a Cygolight tail light on a bike I was riding with the other day and was impressed with it during the early afternoon. I was at the Trek shop and saw the Bontrager Flare 3 and was double impressed compared to the commonly recommended Cygolight everyone usually mentions. I wanted it, but didn't get as I've been spending way too much money and was heading to another shop to spend even more. Plus I need to pick up a camera and they don't come cheap for my finances.
Yes, the Flare 1. The 3 was substantially more which helped me in choosing the 1. It works well though I havent had anyone follow me via car to give a review on performance. The light is rated to 2000-3000ft visibiliy. I have found it brightest on the blinking mode.
Old 04-25-16, 01:02 PM
CACycling

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston View Post
For the back I have a Turbo Flash LED

This thing you can't ignore in the brightest daylight.

Better noticed than dead...
I've got Superflash Turbos on all of our bikes and they do make a difference. Even during the day (as I've been told by a number of motorists). Use rechargeable AAAs and you're set. I typically only run a headlight when it is dark but will run one on flash during daylight if riding in in-town traffic.
Old 04-25-16, 01:03 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I wear this on my helmet and use it on flasher mode whenever I'm riding in traffic, day or night. The same light is available from at least two other distributors on Amazon under other brand names, including one for about $12 without the tail light included with the other two packages.
How does it attach to your helmet? I'm looking for a replacement for my Blackburn Fleas, which Blackburn quit making.
Old 04-25-16, 02:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120 View Post
How does it attach to your helmet? I'm looking for a replacement for my Blackburn Fleas, which Blackburn quit making.
I'll try to attach some photos. The headlight (an Illuminati as sold by Vivo-Bike) and rubber band are fastened via a screw, which could be removed if you prefer another mounting method, such as heavy duty Velcro -- which could work better for skater/commuter type helmets without the road helmet type elongated vents. The light isn't nearly as big as it appears here -- that's distortion due to proximity with a wide angle lens. The entire light (minus rubber band) is roughly the size of a Bic lighter, and possibly a bit lighter in weight.

The attached rubber band has just the right tension and give to work with a typical road helmet, and most handlebars. No damage or deformation to the helmet.

At the other extreme, the rubber band/clamp mechanism that came with my Serfas SL-255 would probably deform or crush the styrofoam padding in my helmet. The Serfas clamp is very stout, not as stretchy, and probably best suited to handlebars.

And here's the Blackburn 2'Fer attached to the rear of the helmet. I've also used the detachable rubber band included with the light, but it's easier to center it with my own homebrewed Velcro strap laced through the vents. I've used it this way for a few months, no problems. It's also smaller and more lightweight than it may appear here.

Both have held very securely, including through three minor crashes. No apparent head impact, all three were at under 5 mph on a local MUP while dodging speeding racerboy cyclists hogging the center of the path, or kids, dogs, errant joggers rendered deaf by music, etc. Each time I caught myself and rolled onto my back. But the lights held on so I'm satisfied they're secure enough for most purposes.
Old 04-25-16, 02:18 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always use front and rear blinkies during the day.

I'm 99.99% sure the front blinky has made a difference. Prior to the front blinky, cars would periodically not see me and I'd be doing a "brake check" to not hit them as they entered my lane. Then, I was nearly hit head-on when a car decided to pass another on a two-lane road (one lane each way) and ran me off the road. Since adding the front blinky - years ago - I can think of only one incident where I was 'not seen'.

So I have little doubt about the effectiveness of the front blinky. The rear blinky? I can't say I got rear-ended before but not after (which is a GOOD thing), but I'd like to think it has a positive effect.

Note: don't cheap-out on lights or batteries. I sometimes encounter a rider who I think forgot to turn their rear blinky on. As I get closer, I realize it's either a 99 cent China cheapo, or the batteries are almost dead (or both). For the daytime rider, bright enough lights can be had for $20-$25 each, front and rear.

Last edited by JohnnyCyclist; 04-25-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 02:35 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Here's a resource for comparing bike lights. https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/ They list several of the lights mentioned here as the best. I'm not sure that is true if you are willing to consider foreign sources, particularly China. Sometimes it's hard to get information on the lumen output by the lights but with a little persistence you can find that too. Obviously the greater the lumen output, the shorter the run time. However, there is an improved form of the LED called COB (chip-on-board) that gives more output at lower discharge rate. Here's an example of a 168 lumen USB rechargeable rear light that's comparable in cost to the Cygolite 30 lumen light: Ultra Bright Bike Light Blitzu Cyborg 168T USB Rechargeable Tail Light Red LED | eBay
$26 at a US seller. Of course, there are a lot of very inexpensive but bright lights you can buy directly from China like this 100 lumen USB rechargeable for $7.79 postpaid 3 Mode Red LED USB Rechargeable Bicycle Bike Rear Tail Light Safety Warning Lamp | eBay If you are into DIY lights, the possibilities are even better for a low cost very bright light. I'm working on that right now.
Old 04-25-16, 02:36 PM
myqlj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking that this might be pretty close to ideal for the rear.

https://www.cygolite.com/product/hotshot-micro-2w-usb/

^^^This. Multiple modes with adjustable flash rate and brightness. Charge lasts hours and hours. Attracts your attention 1/4 mile back during the day. I want to give texting drivers as much time as possible to notice me.
Old 04-25-16, 04:52 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Biker395, I run a Cygolite Hotshot that I've had for three years or so. A couple of years ago, a couple of motorcyclists passed me on the highway as I was headed in on my ride. I pulled into a rest area to reload bottles, and these guys were there. One of the them commented that he could see my light at least a half mile behind me IIRC. This was an unsolicited comment from them. I was glad to hear it.
Old 04-25-16, 05:31 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Trek X- CAL 29er HT

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've been using the Niterider Solace rear light for several years during the day/dusk.
Old 04-25-16, 05:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
Biker395, I run a Cygolite Hotshot that I've had for three years or so. A couple of years ago, a couple of motorcyclists passed me on the highway as I was headed in on my ride. I pulled into a rest area to reload bottles, and these guys were there. One of the them commented that he could see my light at least a half mile behind me IIRC. This was an unsolicited comment from them. I was glad to hear it.
Had the same happen to me. ^ ^ ^
Old 04-25-16, 06:06 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 115 Posts
I've been using a rear strobe (an actual Xenon USCG-approved life-vest strobe) for years. Yes, it (the 1-D-cell) is a tad heavy, but I ride/rode on a 55mph two-lane state highway for 9 miles into the rising sun on my commute. Yes, people did notice it, even when coming up from behind and with sun-glare. One battery lasted all year, riding 2-3 times/week from May through August (leaving the house at 6am).

My 'new' commute is 12.5 miles each way, heading in a different direction (tangential to Sun) and have noticed that I need a front blinky since drivers don't seem to notice me. I recently picked up a Nightrider Mako 200 USB headlight. Fantastic!!! Rechargeable, bright. Steady high, steady low, and flashing. great battery life on low/flashing.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Old 04-25-16, 08:12 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, a 1994 GT Pantera converted to a utility/fun thing, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince" in restoration stage, and, an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Friends of mine who are motorcyclists swear by daytime lights. So, it show yield the same results for cyclists too. I've just started using a rear "blinker" because most of my bad experiences have been from people driving up from behind and not "noticing" me.
Old 04-25-16, 10:45 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I became a front strobe light user after a car blew through yield sign, thereby forcing me to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting her. Until that point, I only used a rear blinkie. My front light choice was somewhat guided by the fact that I wanted a light that would also do double duty as a helmet light for my mountain bike night rides. I ended up going with the Light & Motion Urban Trail 850. It is USB rechargeable, is compact, light weight, has a pulse mode, and bright enough for trail use. For the rear, I use a Light & Motion 180. Both are well built, and have great customer support. Plus, as a bonus, built in the US.
Old 04-25-16, 11:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 391 Posts
I always run front and rear blinkies in daylight. 250 lumen front, 300 lumen rear. USB.
Old 04-26-16, 04:05 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
A year and a half ago I was leaving on a ride and saw a guy on a cross street come to a complete stop at the stop sign, look both ways, and pull out when I was about 20 feet from him. I hit his car right behind the front wheel well. My Garmin's last reading was 18.2 mph. I pivoted on my front wheel and impacted the car with my right shoulder, re-breaking my right collarbone. My headlight was mounted but since it was 0800 and clear, I hadn't turned it on. Might he have noticed me had I had the light on the high-intensity blink setting? My guess is yes.

My current SOP is rear blinky always, front on high-intensity blink when in town or when visibility is less than perfect.

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.